Unique Melody 3D Terminator 3DT Announcement Thread
Feb 18, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #556 of 1,469
Hi @Wildcatsare1, are you referring to Symbio W tips? which size are you using on your 3DT?
Have never tried Symbios, but I am willing to give them a go if they help to reduce that peak at that 4-5Khz region
TIA, Jose

These are the ones I use, a medium for my right ear, small for the left.

B62F9936-508F-4F7A-AFD6-58AFE470A862.jpg

Feb 18, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #557 of 1,469
I've had 24 hours with them and thought I'd leave a few more impressions. I've been listening all day with a few different cables and tips and although they are not fully burned in I'm pretty certain they wont shift too much more. There is more definition and texture in bass lines than yesterday but it's not a stark difference. They'll likely refine and smooth out further (not that they need it now) but unlike IMRs which go through several drastic sonic shifts past 100 hours, I'm certain that wont be the case here.

First things first. They are beautiful and they are extremely comfortable in what I guess are my medium sized ears. I snapped a few pics to give those of you either waiting for delivery or maybe still sitting on the fence a chance to see from another angle. UM has done an incredible job in the way that it finishes and impregnate the wood the wood with pigment and resin. Depending on how the light hits them they either have that beautiful royal blue or they shift to a lighter tone with that pearleacense floating through them. Even the bare wood shows different color tones depending on the grain and the light. It's really hard to capture with a camera and my photography skills (lack of) but I tried. they are also on the larger but no where near the size of my fusion CIEMs. They're probably slightly more than 2/3rds the size of the fusions. They fit my ear flush to the back of the ear and just out a little in the front. I cant sleep with the fusions but I did sleep comfortably with these.

They've been running around the clock now for about 24 hours and I've got about 9 hours of listening time with them. They are not the widest stage in my collection by have an above average width, whatever that means. For me it means they definitely project outside my head and where it's in the recording you get that beautiful holographic effect: Think Whole Lotta Love. So yes classic rock plays well here, but so does Progressive Rock. Both Fragile and The Yes Album are exquisite on the 3DTs with a 3 dimensional sound field. But Jazz is also playing beautifully here. Brantford Marsalis' Scenes From the City is magnificently recorded and you feel yourself front row in the Smokey Jazz Club with Brantford right in front of you playing his horn with supporting bass and percussion filling in around him. Track "Scenes From the City" literally opens with footsteps on New York Pavement walking up to the front door of a Jazz club and realism is extraordinary. As the track unfolds I could feel myself sitting that bar, looking to the stage on my right. At one point I caught myself looking over my shoulder to see who was coming up behind me even though I know I was in the house and in my office all by myself! Anyway you get the picture. They playwell with everything I've thrown at them.

I've tried a variety of tips now and have gone from Final E to Azla Sedna and liked them both. I rally like the sound of the sednas with the 3DT ... BUT ... they seal so well I get a fair bit of driver flex with them and not just that, but they create that vacuum suck where the sound goes hollow unless I readjust them, wiggle them and let some air in to equalize them. So I went over to the Tennmak Foams. I can now safely say the the Tennmaks are on and they are not coming off. Ive recommended these tips on the Itsfit Forum, IMR Forums and Noble Forum and pretty much everyone who has tied them has agreed with me that they are the best foam they have tried. They're the same size and just as comfortable as Comply but they they are more dense so they dont muddy the bass or clip the treble. The seal is awesome, the comfort is high, the sound is unadulterated and they wear like iron. Unlike Comply which rip and tear these things last. I'm still using the first set I put on my EDPs (my daily driver) six months ago. They are are perfect on 3DT and they are cheap as chips. $6 for 6 pairs. I have had a lot of people PM me with thanks for having brought them to their attention. Definitely worth rolling the dice on. Tennmack Strong Foam

Anyway, I'm very pleased with this purchase for a whole number of reasons. I love the sound, the fit, the look, the isolation and the price for which I got all of that.

PS I snapped a whole pile of pics to show different angles and shade but most wont upload ... maybe they're too big.
IMG_20210218_142048.jpgIMG_20210218_154001.jpgIMG_20210218_154004.jpgIMG_20210218_154041.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #558 of 1,469
I've had 24 hours with them and thought I'd leave a few more impressions. I've been listening all day with a few different cables and tips and although they are not fully burned in I'm pretty certain they wont shift too much more. There is more definition and texture in bass lines than yesterday but it's not a stark difference. They'll likely refine and smooth out further (not that they need it now) but unlike IMRs which go through several drastic sonic shifts past 100 hours, I'm certain that wont be the case here.

First things first. They are beautiful and they are extremely comfortable in what I guess are my medium sized ears. I snapped a few pics to give those of you either waiting for delivery or maybe still sitting on the fence a chance to see from another angle. UM has done an incredible job in the way that it finishes and impregnate the wood the wood with pigment and resin. Depending on how the light hits them they either have that beautiful royal blue or they shift to a lighter tone with that pearleacense floating through them. Even the bare wood shows different color tones depending on the grain and the light. It's really hard to capture with a camera and my photography skills (lack of) but I tried. they are also on the larger but no where near the size of my fusion CIEMs. They're probably slightly more than 2/3rds the size of the fusions. They fit my ear flush to the back of the ear and just out a little in the front. I cant sleep with the fusions but I did sleep comfortably with these.

They've been running around the clock now for about 24 hours and I've got about 9 hours of listening time with them. They are not the widest stage in my collection by have an above average width, whatever that means. For me it means they definitely project outside my head and where it's in the recording you get that beautiful holographic effect: Think Whole Lotta Love. So yes classic rock plays well here, but so does Progressive Rock. Both Fragile and The Yes Album are exquisite on the 3DTs with a 3 dimensional sound field. But Jazz is also playing beautifully here. Brantford Marsalis' Scenes From the City is magnificently recorded and you feel yourself front row in the Smokey Jazz Club with Brantford right in front of you playing his horn with supporting bass and percussion filling in around him. Track "Scenes From the City" literally opens with footsteps on New York Pavement walking up to the front door of a Jazz club and realism is extraordinary. As the track unfolds I could feel myself sitting that bar, looking to the stage on my right. At one point I caught myself looking over my shoulder to see who was coming up behind me even though I know I was in the house and in my office all by myself! Anyway you get the picture. They playwell with everything I've thrown at them.

I've tried a variety of tips now and have gone from Final E to Azla Sedna and liked them both. I rally like the sound of the sednas with the 3DT ... BUT ... they seal so well I get a fair bit of driver flex with them and not just that, but they create that vacuum suck where the sound goes hollow unless I readjust them, wiggle them and let some air in to equalize them. So I went over to the Tennmak Foams. I can now safely say the the Tennmaks are on and they are not coming off. Ive recommended these tips on the Itsfit Forum, IMR Forums and Noble Forum and pretty much everyone who has tied them has agreed with me that they are the best foam they have tried. They're the same size and just as comfortable as Comply but they they are more dense so they dont muddy the bass or clip the treble. The seal is awesome, the comfort is high, the sound is unadulterated and they wear like iron. Unlike Comply which rip and tear these things last. I'm still using the first set I put on my EDPs (my daily driver) six months ago. They are are perfect on 3DT and they are cheap as chips. $6 for 6 pairs. I have had a lot of people PM me with thanks for having brought them to their attention. Definitely worth rolling the dice on. Tennmack Strong Foam

Anyway, I'm very pleased with this purchase for a whole number of reasons. I love the sound, the fit, the look, the isolation and the price for which I got all of that.

PS I snapped a whole pile of pics to show different angles and shade but most wont upload ... maybe they're too big.
IMG_20210218_142048.jpgIMG_20210218_154001.jpgIMG_20210218_154004.jpgIMG_20210218_154041.jpg
I think UM nozzle's are mend to be fitted with memory foam tips naturally. The curvature of the nozzle without lip is itself Unique.

Feb 18, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #559 of 1,469
There's a comparison between FD5, if you catch the drift translated.
https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/341380452
Thanks a lot. Google Translate notwithstanding, was very good reading! :thumbsup: I'm going to have some fun with it...
Few points there are questionable:
"The low frequency of 3DT is not bad, it can only be said that a certain trade-off has been made, because common multi-unit dynamic headphones or coil earphones often use a larger moving coil as the low frequency unit, while 3DT is Conversely, it is actually quite challenging in research and development." (I think the reviewer meant bold, daring) I however, am fascinated by UM daring designs. MEST first got my attention to the brand because of use of Bone-conduction driver to bypass dreadful ear-canal lower treble reflections that muddy spacial cues and damage imaging, but that is another story that belongs to a different thread... Use of smaller DD for bass in 3DT got my attention!
It's actually becoming common, when manufacturers of IEM with minimum venting, typical for brands that also offer custom fit, (as high level of isolation is expected) - chose to use smaller diameter DD (with longer excursion perhaps), more suitable for controlling canal air pressure and making IEM less dependent on fit and insertion depth. (kind of like BA) On this point I agree with the reviewer, that bass has BA -like control, but the similarity ends there. Unlike BA, 3DT bass is effortlessly going very deep, deeper than any BA I've heard and level of impact is sooo good, - it's hard to mistake with many DD, forget about BA, not remotely there.
Sony in Z5 had to use a lot of venting or FR wouldn't be consistent, and it wouldn't be received as well as it was.
Contrast that to the bold(but foolish) decision of Obravo to put wrong type 9mm DD in completely unvented shell of Cupid. FR there is affected by the slightest movement and rendering it unusable on the go. Even BA in Cupid would probably be better than that abomination of a DD. Same goes for RHA CL2, but at least there was no better solution available, and it could be worse.
Many may remember the old "budget king"- KZ ZS5. It had sub-bass done by special 6mm driver, and ZS5 was rightfully praised for its bass control. .
My recent fiasco was with Thie Audio. L3 & L5(in lesser degree) DD is not properly vented internally and besides driver flex, FR response is also affected(at least for my ears:shrug:). I love Thie tuning but probably will avoid trying it again...
That brings me back to 3DT. I do get driver flex occasionally, so getting used to be more careful, especially with larger wide opening tips that pump air like a plunger:laughing:. Internal venting in3DT is sufficient, barely, but I don't complain because high isolation is worth it.
I think 3DT may put my FiiO FD5 out of business.:triportsad: I don't want to start ranting about FD5 ergonomic failures here, that belongs to Fiio thread. Fiio have no driver flex but at the cost of isolation.
FD5 is less bassy, but similarly impactful. Sub-bass is slightly rolled off, but dynamics makes up for that. 3DT has more impact on the low end, Fiio might have slight edge at mid-bass, but it's close and likely an effect of 3DT sub-bass overshadowing similar(or greater) impact. I like tonality of both. Stage and imaging feels more precise with 3DT. Fiio has typical bit of stage haziness in all of their hybrid & DD IEMs. To be continued...

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #560 of 1,469
I have about 5 or so hours in on these so far and I'm still trying to adjust to the size of these. I will give the Tennmak tips a try as well (thank you @holsen for suggesting them). I also want to find a better cable with these. The cable it comes with is ok but I don't think these are meant to have a just "OK" cable. The Y-split on these is the most disappointing part of these so far and I hope that's the only complaint I have.

I'm currently listening to the jazz album "Blowin The Blues Away" by The Horace Silver Quintet and they are really starting to sing for me. The end minute or so of the 4th track, titled "Peace" really showed me what these are capable of doing. I'll be putting more time into them this weekend.

Feb 19, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #561 of 1,469
The whole album is stunning on the 3Ds.maybe the best I've heard it

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #562 of 1,469
The whole album is stunning on the 3Ds.maybe the best I've heard it

I notice you have the Xelento in your gear list. I have them as well and also have the UM 3dt on order (weather has delayed delivery until Monday). Care to give a quick comparison of the two? The Xelento has a bit too elevated low mids for me sometimes.

Feb 19, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #563 of 1,469
I notice you have the Xelento in your gear list. I have them as well and also have the UM 3dt on order (weather has delayed delivery until Monday). Care to give a quick comparison of the two? The Xelento has a bit too elevated low mids for me sometimes.
I think his xelento has crossed the river...

Feb 19, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #564 of 1,469
My Tacoma neighbor! I love your town. I used to drive down for lots of shows at the Pantages. Anyway, it's your luck day. Literally 10 minutes ago a package with 2 identical Pure Silver Litz Cables, one in MMCX for my Xelento the other in 2 Pin, just arrived. I've got a pretty full-on day but later this afternoon I'll A/B using the new cables. One thing I can say for sure, the 3DT brings female vocals far more forward than any other IEM I've got or had. Stand by...

Old black water, keep on rollin' Mississippi moon, won't you keep on shinin' on me. Yeah, keep on shinin' your light, Gonna make everything, pretty mama Gonna make everything all right And I ain't got no worries 'Cause I ain't in no hurry at all.......

From one side of the river to the other ..... Still really like my Xelentos what those diminutive little spheres produce in sound is remarkable. They're my pocket buds now....

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #565 of 1,469
My Tacoma neighbor! I love your town. I used to drive down for lots of shows at the Pantages. Anyway, it's your luck day. Literally 10 minutes ago a package with 2 identical Pure Silver Litz Cables, one in MMCX for my Xelento the other in 2 Pin, just arrived. I've got a pretty full-on day but later this afternoon I'll A/B using the new cables. One thing I can say for sure, the 3DT brings female vocals far more forward than any other IEM I've got or had. Stand by...

Oh black water keep on rollin' mississippi queen keep shinin' on me...... From one side of the river to the other ..... Still really like my Xelentos what those diminutive little spheres produce in sound is remarkable. They're my pocket buds now....
Very cool! Can’t wait to hear your thoughts. I still really like the Xelento and they will stay in my collection for sure. Just curious about a comparison since I have to wait until Monday to get the 3DT.

Feb 19, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #566 of 1,469
As I work away with the 3DTs in my ears, I can say they keep refining. The bass is tightening up, they've opened up and there's more airiness up top. It's not a drastic shift but it is noticeable. If I'm not mistaken, they're requiring slightly less power to get to the same volume levels. @UniqueMelody you've created an affordable masterpiece; these are keepers!

Feb 19, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #567 of 1,469
Alright, I took a little playtime break and did a Xelento 3DT shootout. Both IEMS using the the exact same pure silver litz cable (xelento loves this cable BTW), both iems using the same Tennmak Foams (the best tip I've found for both) and both iems coming out of JRiver > D50s Dac > JDS Atom Amp with no EQ
The first thing of note is that the Xelento has tons of bass but you already knew that. It's astounding to me how much sound these little silver spheres produce. While the xelento produces far greater quantity, the 3DT is far more controlled and textured between sub, mid and upper bass. Going back and forth between the two, the bass of the 3DT sounds a little anemic until your brain adjusts and then you really appreciate the texture it brings in place of the quantity. I have been listening the last couple of days with elevated bass eq but even now with now EQ off I find it very pleasing, but your question was about the elevated mids and I can tell you, they are both forward but the 3DT is some what recessed from the Xelento. the mid frequencies are fully present but scalled back from the level of the xelento. I think you'll be pleased. Do give them time, burn-in is real on the 3DT.

Feb 19, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #568 of 1,469
I want to thank @Ace Bee for helping me rediscover my Doobie Brothers collection this afternoon. How the heck am I supposed to get back to work when all I want to do is bop around my office.... man, I love this stuff.....

Feb 19, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #569 of 1,469
I want to thank @Ace Bee for helping me rediscover my Doobie Brothers collection this afternoon. How the heck am I supposed to get back to work when all I want to do is bop around my office.... man, I love this stuff.....
I have a playlist called "My Doobie Brothers."

Feb 19, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #570 of 1,469
Alright, I took a little playtime break and did a Xelento 3DT shootout. Both IEMS using the the exact same pure silver litz cable (xelento loves this cable BTW), both iems using the same Tennmak Foams (the best tip I've found for both) and both iems coming out of JRiver > D50s Dac > JDS Atom Amp with no EQ
The first thing of note is that the Xelento has tons of bass but you already knew that. It's astounding to me how much sound these little silver spheres produce. While the xelento produces far greater quantity, the 3DT is far more controlled and textured between sub, mid and upper bass. Going back and forth between the two, the bass of the 3DT sounds a little anemic until your brain adjusts and then you really appreciate the texture it brings in place of the quantity. I have been listening the last couple of days with elevated bass eq but even now with now EQ off I find it very pleasing, but your question was about the elevated mids and I can tell you, they are both forward but the 3DT is some what recessed from the Xelento. the mid frequencies are fully present but scalled back from the level of the xelento. I think you'll be pleased. Do give them time, burn-in is real on the 3DT.
Thanks for the comparison. I’m excited to hear them after they arrive Monday. I’d love to know the cables you received as well since the consensus seems to be that the 3dt cable could stand an upgrade. I’m currently using an Oriveti Affinity 4.4mm cable with the Xelento.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back