unique grado sr80i issue, ohm imbalance
Jul 10, 2011 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

BobSaysHi

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi, I received a broken pair of grados from another member back in february or so who had claimed that the sound had either gone out in the left channel, or was distorted. He got another free pair from amazon, and decided to give the broken pair to me.

I got the headphones assuming they were broken, and I couldn't hear or identify the issue. I gave them to a friend, who immediately told me about issues in the left channel. Go figure. I forgot about it until yesterday when he gave them back to me (after many months) saying the left channel's issues were too much for him. The sound in the left channel is distant and much quieter than the right.

So, I pulled my DMM and tested the impedance by measuring the ohm values for the left and right channels from the 1/8 plug. The right channel measured 31.5 ohms, and the left channel measured... 61.5 ohms. I have no idea what the issue is, and I can't send them back to grado without paying them to replace it (since I have no warranty). I have yet to open them and look around, but I will do so later today.

Any ideas?

Jul 10, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #2 of 6
I had something similar happen to me before too:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/507699/mystery-of-the-90-ohm-grado-driver

I bought mine knowing it was broken, but figured it was a cable issue that I could fix. But it turned out to be the driver itself. I was not able to fix it, and in the end I replaced the driver by buying one off someone else who had broken Grados.

But you might be lucky and it'll just be a loose or badly soldered cable.

Jul 10, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
I had something similar happen to me before too:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/507699/mystery-of-the-90-ohm-grado-driver

I bought mine knowing it was broken, but figured it was a cable issue that I could fix. But it turned out to be the driver itself. I was not able to fix it, and in the end I replaced the driver by buying one off someone else who had broken Grados.

But you might be lucky and it'll just be a loose or badly soldered cable.

It might be the cable. I wont know for sure till I can take it apart, which will probably happen tomorrow.

Jul 11, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 6

Quote:

It might be the cable. I wont know for sure till I can take it apart, which will probably happen tomorrow.

Something similar happened to me, all the bass frequencies in my right side driver were completely cut out, but sound was still coming through. Then I accidentally dropped the headphone and from then I haven't had any problems.. O.o

Jul 11, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
Something similar happened to me, all the bass frequencies in my right side driver were completely cut out, but sound was still coming through. Then I accidentally dropped the headphone and from then I haven't had any problems.. O.o

yeah, that happened to the driver I sold you, lol. I was very worried since I sold it to you in working condition.

it sure is bizarre. I'm fairly sure it's not the cable.

Jul 11, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
yeah, that happened to the driver I sold you, lol. I was very worried since I sold it to you in working condition.

it sure is bizarre. I'm fairly sure it's not the cable.

Ohh yes, you are right. HAHAA. Yeah it's the driver, not the cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back