Unhappy with grado 60
Mar 4, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #31 of 40
from grado to senn, the general feeling is the senns are veiled and boring. from senn to grado, the general feeling is the grados are grating and harsh.

it's a case of YMMV. you never know until you slap em on and keep em on for a while what your preference is. even quick A/B comparo tests aren't that helpful, since your ears take awhile to "acclimate" to the new sound signature.

you might be a Senn guy. on the other hand, you might be a Grado guy who needs to give it another chance. since you have the SR60 already, might as well keep it for a bit longer and see if anything changes. if not, sell em.

Mar 4, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #33 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
Same here. With custom pads and all too. Taking the plunge..!

Haha, two sales in one thread? Let us know when you get your next commission check from John, Iron_Dreamer/Jahn/Morphie
tongue.gif
rs1smile.gif

Mar 5, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #34 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor
...but they don't fall off when I bust out the air guitar.

rofl, my 325s also stay on with bowls, but air guitar + flat pads is a no-no. Life can be harsh.

Mar 5, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #35 of 40
I've had the MS-1's with the comfy pads for about two months and they are very comfortable. I don't think they're built much differently than the SR-60. When I tried the SR-125 with the bowl pads it did feel a little bit more scratchy and tight on my head, but it wasn't that bad. (However, I only wore them for a few minutes).

Maybe people with wider heads have more problems? I have a pretty skinny head, and I love the feel.

Mar 5, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #36 of 40
Hey
thats true I do "like to lie down close your eyes and gently sway my head head to violin" but "I also like to lie down close my eyes sway my head to" the eagles, queen, pink floyd, nirvana ..... ect and here grado also fails.
well, maybe im to harsh, Grado are good headphones to listen for fun when I'm not fully paying attention to the music.... but my 565 can do it even better with EQ.

also I withdraw my statement of cheap build quality. Yeah, they are cheap but they cost only $69. Compare to other headphone is this price range they are "ok", but if 225 is also build the same.... I would consider them cheap

As I said above I ll keep them for a week or 2 before they leave my house (in case if I somehow fall in love with them I'll also sell them to get 225
icon10.gif
)

Lastly, I ll probably do what many of you suggested to go for something with totally different signature from grado and senn,
so which one of these AKG271, A500 or DT770 (or something relatively cheap that I forgot about that I would be able to drive with my indigo, go-vibe, d 303) has must-to-hear signature (pick ONLY one plz)

Thanks
Hiep

Mar 5, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #37 of 40
Just got my SR80s today. So far I really like the sound, I can't say they are to bright and the comfort level is way higher than my SENN 280s. Back to back the 280s seem.... calmer. This is the first set of cans that I've had that I can feel the pressure waves on my hand when I hold it over the driver (back side). I haven't had them long enough to know if they are going to be my favorite but they sure do go well with Skindred.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2005 at 7:22 AM Post #38 of 40
I still love my Grado SR-60 because they are just right in terms of introducing you to the famous John Grado house sound: full-bodied, warm, harmonically rich, and wonderfully detailed with good clarity and immediacy. It is very hard to find a better pair of new open air supra-aural cans for the money. I think this is just the right balance of sound quality : price. As an aside, I love the comfortable pads and I do not find them to be a hindrance in terms of "veiling" the sound. I don't think that the Joseph Grado flat pads are a good value to add onto the SR-60s, but I would re-think that if I had the PS-1. However, I am fully satisfied with my SR-60s and I won't sell them ever.

People, you ought to hang on to these SR-60 cans and let them just grow on you before rushing to judgment. You are holding onto a legendary pair of audiophile grade headphones!
cool.gif

Mar 5, 2005 at 6:01 PM Post #39 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by dthiep
but they cost only $69.

Bingo !
biggrin.gif

Imo there shouldn't be much complaint against sr60 because you get so much improvement over 'standard' phones at such low cost. Of course there's dt231/sportapro/px100, but sr60 sound more full bodied compared to those small portable phones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dthiep
so which one of these AKG271, A500 or DT770 (or something relatively cheap that I forgot about that I would be able to drive with my indigo, go-vibe, d 303) has must-to-hear signature (pick ONLY one plz)

I'd say Beyer give more 'safe' sound for either camps. However this particular 770-250 mids sound quite thin to me (also the a500), so I'll vouch for Dt250-250. Or Dt531 if you can find one. Or HD580 if you feel like going back to senn. =) There's no chemistry between AKG and my ears, so I'll leave 271s out.

Btw why not try MS-1 at $100, smoother HF compared to sr60. Use some headband padding and 414 pads if you need more comfort.

Mar 6, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #40 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
Same here. With custom pads and all too. Taking the plunge..!

Me as well. I'm biased though since I already own the 225s with the flat pads and love them. I just need another pair for the computer.
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back