Unhappy with grado 60
Mar 4, 2005 at 5:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

dthiep

Head-Fier
Hi

I've been listening to grado 60 for the last few weeks and I'm dissapointed with them. The sound is too bright and when I play loud the hights becomes aching to my ears. Also the build quality is cheap and the headphones are uncomfortable. They are neither too tight nor to loose. They fall off my head when I'm laying down and are painfull after 20 mins of listenning.
I prefer my "boring" hd 565 over the grados thousands times. The senns are much more details and comfy(I know the senn costed 2.5 times more, so is not really fair but still).
When I bought Grado 60 I thought I could use them to go, but I cannot. The cable is too long for portable uses and too thick to be wrapped up. I'm back with my 565 to go.

No Grado did not beat Senn this time (for me)

Are 225 any better are pretty much teh same thing with more details?

Thanks,
Hiep

Mar 4, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #4 of 40
I dont really know in which direciton you mean.
they are too lose(fall off) and too tight (painfull)

No I dont have flat pads
but would they change the sound much?
or I guess I'm not a grado man

Mar 4, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #5 of 40
My understanding is that you just aren't a Grado man. Grado's are known for being uncomfotable, bending the headband helps unclamp them or clamp them more, but rarely improves comfert to the level of sennheisers headphones.

The flat pads change the sound a little, deffinitly still "that Grado sound" remains.

If you think the SR60s build quality is bad then I have no place telling you what I think about Grado's build quality compared to other headphones build qualitys. I thought the SR60s were very good in build quality.

Sounds to me like the senns are the way to go for you.

Mar 4, 2005 at 5:33 AM Post #6 of 40
I don't think the pads will change much for this guy. Even if he likes the sound more, they will still be way to uncomfortable to enjoy. Have you thought about other headphones around $100? The Audio Technica A500's are incredibly comfortable, as well as the Sennheiser HD580's (can be found well under $150 used).

Mar 4, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by dthiep

No I dont have flat pads
but would they change the sound much?
or I guess I'm not a grado man

Reverse the bowl pads and stick them on. This will guage if the flats will be any better with slightly less highs than the reverse bowls and more bass than the reverse bowls. Try it now and post your impressions.

Mar 4, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by dthiep

just bend the headband until the curve is the same as your head.

Mar 4, 2005 at 5:42 AM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Reverse the bowl pads and stick them on. This will guage if the flats will be any better with slightly less highs than the reverse bowls and more bass than the reverse bowls. Try it now and post your impressions.

I dont know if I feel less highs but there si definately more bass.
Thanks, but still I think grado is not for me.

Mar 4, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #12 of 40
I was like you when i first got the sr60. I was disappointed but that was becuase i compared it to some hd580. Just like senns are not for every1, grado are not for every1. I happen to be one of few that like both. The flats will change the sound, however it will still have the grado sound. Maybe your just not a grado person, if that's the case try AKG271, HD580, A500. You can get those used for around $100 or less. Good luck on your road to audio nivirana.

Mar 4, 2005 at 6:37 AM Post #13 of 40
Actually, the SR-60 comes standard with the so-called "comfy" pads which cover the entire driver. But because the comfy pads place your ears closer to the drivers than even the flat pads, and the comfy pads muffle some of the sound from the SR-60, the highs actually become grainier with the comfy pads than with any donut or bowl pads.

Mar 4, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #14 of 40
I have the a500 and really like them. Much more comfortable then the grados and not so upfront. But I left them at my friends house the other day and feel alone right now.

Mar 4, 2005 at 7:12 AM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19

Ha! Comfy pads! Your skills have diminished Skywalker!

To the original poster...sounds like you're not a Grado guy. If you had the bowl pads, I'd say that you should try a pad switch. But the comfies don't lead to the same shrill bowl sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back