Uneducated one looking for help from you audiophiles.
Jul 13, 2005 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Volaju

New Head-Fier
Ok, so I finally saved enough to buy a good pair of cans to go along with my iRiver H340 (excellent player, steep learning curve.) I looked at Bose Triports, and actually bought them, but I'm very unsatisfied with their sound, and will be taking advantage of the return policy. I've got about $150-$200 to lay down, was looking at HD555's, but I've got some requsites that those don't meet.
-I need something that is closed, I'm in airplanes every weekend and the metro every day,
-Main listening takes are punk and ska, with a little rock and techno. Booming bass isn't required.
-I really prefer cans to earbuds, i hate jamming things into my ears.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Vinny

Jul 13, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 10
AD900s ($200) perfect for you. Closed. Comfortable. Great for your tastes. One of the best closed headphones available. Easily driven by your portable. Perfect.
wink.gif

HD555s are nice too. But they're not closed. A little laid back too. A900 might provide a better "Jam" especially without an amp.

A900s have one weakness. They're really big.
biggrin.gif

P.S. Return the Triports NOW!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
It's general consensus that they really suck. At least you've realized that.
tongue.gif

Jul 13, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volaju
I looked at Bose Triports, and actually bought them, but I'm very unsatisfied with their sound, and will be taking advantage of the return policy.

You see what happens ?! http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=127609
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt.
plainface.gif

haha

Ok ~
If you don't mind the "bulkiness" the Beyer DT770 are good at isolating and will provide more than adequate sound reproduction. You say punk, Ska, Techno... A bullseye for the Beyers.

Jul 13, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 10
Small and sealed cans? Well I still think they have scooped out mids and sound a bit thin, but check out the Senn HD201. The HD25-1 gets alot of good reviews for being small and sealed too, but it's a bit pricier and imho the KSC-35 beats it in the sounds dept (tho the KSC-35 isn't isolating at all, being an open can).

Jul 13, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #5 of 10
Another vote for the DT770-80 (unamped) or DT770-250 amped. I just got back from a honeymoon and spent plenty of hours on the plane using mine and they did great.
On a side note none of these will compete with a good IEM for isolation (my Shure E4c really block everything out and do it much better than my beyers)

Jul 13, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 10
What about the Sennheiser HD280 Pro? They are around $100, and with the $50-10 you have left, you can get a portble amp. At that price range you can get a cmoy, go-vibe, Super Mini Moy, etc.

Jul 13, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
AD900s ($200) perfect for you. Closed. Comfortable. Great for your tastes. One of the best closed headphones available. Easily driven by your portable. Perfect.
wink.gif

HD555s are nice too. But they're not closed. A little laid back too. A900 might provide a better "Jam" especially without an amp.

A900s have one weakness. They're really big.
biggrin.gif

P.S. Return the Triports NOW!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
It's general consensus that they really suck. At least you've realized that.
tongue.gif

The AD900's look like open phones to me, are they not?

Jul 13, 2005 at 10:30 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by canloader
You see what happens ?! http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=127609
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt.
plainface.gif

haha

Ok ~
If you don't mind the "bulkiness" the Beyer DT770 are good at isolating and will provide more than adequate sound reproduction. You say punk, Ska, Techno... A bullseye for the Beyers.

Well...at least Bose makes a good suspension.
tongue.gif

I'll probably be going with the E4c's, since the other cans are a bit too big to lug around all day.

Jul 13, 2005 at 10:34 PM Post #9 of 10
Sounds like you're writing from the UK in which case I would say take advantage of either the Beyerdynamics or the AKG low impedance line... I've heard the 140's, 240's and the 300's, and from my limited experience with each I'd probably take the 240's.

Cheers!

Jul 13, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volaju
The AD900's look like open phones to me, are they not?

I believe he just mixed up AD900 with A900 (You can see that he refers to them as "A900" with no "D" later in his post). AD900 = open; A900 = closed. There's also a $14 off coupon code available for the A900s if you order through audiocubes.com (Pretty much the only place to order A900s for a good price)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back