Undressing the Diablo
Jun 29, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still haven't received my Diablo =(

Hoooly bovine, I haven't seen you online in AGES!
eek.gif

Jun 29, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're right Graz, it's flux. My misnomer and my bad. Thanks for the correction. As far as the "unfortunate reality" comment is concerned, the bottom line is that many electronic units sold (likely those made in small batches and by hand) today are sold and shipped to the customer with splashes of flux left on the board. Ultimately, boards should be cleaned for 'good measure'. Practically speaking, flux on the board should do little or no damage to the component.

Agreed, SK. What I meant to say was that in general, paying high costs for amps such as RS Audio's and Headamp's gives the buyer a solid build from beginning to end, something that can be missing from cheaper amps/ amp manufacturers. My bad and apologies - I will endeavour to be more precise in future postings.

As previously mentioned, I do not defend Larocco Audio's purported behaviour regarding this project in particular (no personal experience dealing with him) and will say that for $500, I expect no less than perfection from a portable amp.

I hope I have clarified my previous statements and will unsubscribe from this thread to avoid potential confusion regarding my comments. I invite anyone needing clarification on what I posted or to debate what I've written here to PM me.

omen be careful some flux are indeed corrosive, and should be removed an cleaned from the board and legs fo the components, they are used mainly to clean the surface to solder, and in order to clean they corrode the metals...there are some organic ones though, that are less agreesive...

Jun 29, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #18 of 36
Cocnerning the Diablo sound signature I have to say that I prefer it to the only Ray Samuels product that I have owned (and sold) and that is the Tomahawk.

The Tomahawk is wonderful and tiny and good looking but the sound to my ears is "roundy" and compact not as analytical and cristal clear as the one that the Diablo delivers.

I do not think that those blobs on the PCB affect the sound quality but I agree that for its price those aspects MUST be taken care of.

But the sound, the sound of the Diablo is the Phil Larocco trademark.

The spaceness and clarity is just superb.

Regards

Jul 3, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #23 of 36
Wow, that thing's all fluxed up, lol...

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #25 of 36
omg... just saw that pics. The soldering is absolutely poor. I can't believe something like this is sold professionally... probably that's why they glue the cases.

Jul 17, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #26 of 36
Ashame, I cant read what it all tells. I would like to know because I also have a defective diablo on my hands.

What was electrically wrong, do you know?

Otherwise I would like to contact the guy who did it.

I could help quite some more people if I knew.

Rgds Hans.

Jul 17, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #28 of 36
That's for sure because of the bad soldering. If you look closely at one of the pictures you can see exactly that a resistor (R1) is completely destroyed... really a shame for that price and waiting time. My iBasso D2-Viper is made a lot better and costs less than the half of a Diablo.

Jul 18, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Omg, ive never seen such a messy pcb in my life. i soldered a better radioshack fm radio kit for my first soldering job , when i was 12 years old.
I cant even see how anyone can cover the board in so much flux unless they did it on purpose.
The outside of the case looks nice though.
smily_headphones1.gif

You should definately have someone clean that up, and also replace any of those micro resistors that are covered with solder on the leads and body too,because it must have been over-heated if the body is also covered in solder.

Agreed...x 2....Get a tech to redo the worst areas and replace any suspect parts. May cost a couple of hundred bucks but will be worth the extra cost in the long run.

Peete.

PS I can solder better than that and I'm no pro by any means
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back