under $200 headphones for home listening that fall between AD700s and HD-25 II
Dec 20, 2011 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

EndlessMike

Head-Fier
So I'm looking for headphones that somehow fall between the sound signatures of the AD700s and HD-25 II's.

I love the HD-25 II sound signature but I really miss the huge soundstage of the AD700s. So I'm looking for something with a decent soundstage but also decent bass/etc.

Main genres I listen too are Indie/Alt Rock, Hip-Hop, Electronic Music.

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #2 of 17
KRK KNS 8400? It won't have the biggest bass, but it should be able to make the bass drums thump decently and they have an above average sound stage for a closed headphone.

The other choice I would have is the Brainwavz HM5. It has a relatively neutral sound signature while also having a better than average sound stage for a closed headphone.

Dec 21, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #4 of 17
Sennheiser HD-558s, open, 50-Ohm, like the ATH-AD700, but with more bass.
Go to the Electronics Expo Website, put the HD-558s in to the shopping cart. use the coupon code "BOUNTII".
Use the left over cash to buy a headphone amplifier.
Fiio E10 or E11.

Dec 21, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #5 of 17

Quote:
Those sound cool, although I've never heard of the company that makes either of them; so it makes me kinda wary..

Anymore suggestions?

KRK is a respected company in the audio world for their studio monitor speakers. It's pretty recent that they decided to move into the headphone market, and I've been very happy with my purchase from them.

Brainwavz is an audio company mostly known for their high value IEMs like the Brainwavz Beta series. The HM5 in this case, however, is the rebrand of the Fischer Audio FA-003, a well-regarded headphone from a breakout Russian audio company. LFF is Fischer Audio's biggest supporter on this forum, from what I've seen. 

Dec 22, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #7 of 17
Audio Technica ATH-AD900

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #8 of 17
Have not heard of the other suggestions, but the AD900 is a definite performer. 2nd hand could be found for $170 if you have the patience... And it has unbelievable performance. It was the first can that my girlfriend bought after influenced by me, and I am really jealous of that can.

Quote:
Audio Technica ATH-AD900

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #9 of 17
The AD900s sound like a good improvement but it seems they don't really improve on bass too much and that's a no-go.

I just want a headphone that has a nice forward midrange for energetic music, a solid amount of bass and solid soundstage.

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #10 of 17
First headphones that came to mind were the Koss DJ 100s. They're a little dependent on seal, but they definitely have bass. If you're able to get a better seal than I could with my tiny head, the bass is supposed to be very good on them. As for the mids and highs, I found them pretty solid at doing their job there. The mids are definitely forward, though, and the soundstaging is above average for a cloed headphone. 

Second was the KRK KNS 8400s. They are very good at detail retrieval. Mids are not really forward or recessed, but they are emphasized a bit. The bass is controlled and tight on the KRK KNS 8400, rather than being big and boomy. Sound staging is also supposed to be above average. 

Quote:
The AD900s sound like a good improvement but it seems they don't really improve on bass too much and that's a no-go.

I just want a headphone that has a nice forward midrange for energetic music, a solid amount of bass and solid soundstage.

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #12 of 17
Beyerdynamic DT 440.  Nice wide open spacious sound but with noticeably better bass impact and extension than the AD700 and more treble energy then the Sennheisers.. Mids are also more forward.  Soundstage is smaller overall but separation and individual instrument separation is better. Only problem so far is comfort. They are a bit heavy and there isn't much padding on the band so they can get uncomfortable after an hour or so.

Dec 25, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #14 of 17
I'm not personally a big fan of the Ultrasone sound, but I know some people like it. The bass is nice and tight, and every single Ultrasone has a very large amount of high treble energy. I'm talking like 5-10dB more 6khz+ treble. I find this to sound incredibly unnatural and strange, but it wasn't too bad in electronic music. I just could not stand it during other types of music. I think they're poor all-arounders, but excellent in their genres. 

Quote:
How do you guys feel about the HFI-580?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back