Under 150 rock can from senn or akg
Sep 12, 2009 at 7:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

hamedy

100+ Head-Fier
hi friends

I want to buy a full size headphone to listen to rock music, also for game and movie,
all recommendations go for grado but they are not available here and also not good for long use.
i have to choose senn or akg, my source is my laptop by now but i will buy an external creative sound card soon.
i heard AKG's are faster so they would be better for rock ? or I'm wrong ?
i'm considering 555 and 595 from sennheiser as they are comfotable for long use but i'm worry about the soft and sweet signature wouldn't work for rock.

and i never heard an AKG and dont know which one is more appropriate for my use, so any suggestion and advice is appreciated

thanks in advance,
hamed.

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by EugeneK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you might be able to pick up a used K271/272 for that much.

I only hav access to a local store so just brand new choices,
what u recommend?

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you get Alessandro MS1 in your location? MS1's are tweaked Grado's and would suit very well.

no just Senn or AKG

Sep 12, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #12 of 14
From Senn, for that price your best bet is HD555, and you can make them an HD595 equivalent with a pretty simple mod. 595 is one of Senn's more forward sounding headphones so they are pretty good with rock (not so much with some genres of metal, but for rock I insist they're pretty good). If you don't want to mod them go straight for the 595 if your budget allows, outside they're better looking and come with a very nice headphone holder. In fact un-amped the 5x5 series from Senn is a great option, and sometimes underrated here in Head Fi.

Since you also mentioned games, the 595 are still my go to headphones for videogaming (even though I've moved on) since there soundstage is spot on for gaming needs, their soundstage is great for pinpointing things in games. For movies they're also very good. Anyways good luck with your search!

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #13 of 14
thanks fo replies,
I can't buy online and i said many times i just can buy Senn or AKG

to roger,
thanks for reply, I considered thes two phones from Senn but the most important qestion is, is there an AKG in this price range that could perform better ?
how 240MK2's compares to 595? (just sound not comfort etc..)

Sep 12, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by hamedy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks fo replies,
I can't buy online and i said many times i just can buy Senn or AKG

to roger,
thanks for reply, I considered thes two phones from Senn but the most important qestion is, is there an AKG in this price range that could perform better ?
how 240MK2's compares to 595? (just sound not comfort etc..)

From AKG the only offering in the price range (although I have no idea of price of K601, and K701, I guess they're quite more expensive) I've heard is the K240S and it was very very warm sounding, with loose and overly booming bass and rolled off highs. Comparing them to 595, the 595 have less quantity of bass but very controlled (and with some amps, really tight). For rock I would choose the 595 over k240S easily since the boomy bass sounds bad on the genre. In fact sound quality wise I would rate the 595 as completely superior to the k240S. I guess 240Mk2's would be similar, but I can't tell you first hand, hopefully somebody else will give their opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back