Under 100$ Phono Cartridge Needed
Jun 14, 2002 at 4:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TimSchirmer

Repelling digital infidels. (Would that be called the Digifadah?)
Im currently looking for a nice, accurate moving magnet phono cart for my new CEC turntable. I have no idea what kind of arm this thing has...but it is lightweight and black. I was thinking about grabbing one of those mid-end Shure carts, but was unshure about which model to get. I may even save a bit longer and go with the stereophile recommendation of the V15mxr. I've also been considering...a grado blue or red. Any other suggestions for MM cartridges?

Jun 15, 2002 at 2:11 AM Post #2 of 6
I was unimpressed with the Grado RED. Although you can try it and return it to Audio Advisor. I did.

For $100 an Audio Technica is best bet, to me anyway.

I use a GOLDRING 1012GX on my MMF5 turntable. Sounds awesome. It is about $170 I think.

Jun 15, 2002 at 3:59 AM Post #3 of 6
I currently have an audio-technica AT143-6d on my TT. Which model would you recommend? Ever tried any shure carts?

Jun 16, 2002 at 1:07 AM Post #4 of 6
I have tried a number of Shure cartridges, older ones, including the V15/II . So So.

I have the AT331, with Shibata/Linear Contact stylus. Pretty good for about $55 or so. Been around a LONG time and sounds pretty good. These are standard/Pmounts combo.

There is also a standard mount AT about $100 which is supposed to be good.

J&R Music World, who I really don't like, has the AT's and styli cheap. They are usually ok. We quibbled over a minor detail. They did not really rip me off at all, so they are safe to order from.

People preached the Grado's too me. I was disappointed. Well, shocked at how inferior the Grado Red was to the AT331. So much for hype.

Jun 16, 2002 at 2:05 AM Post #5 of 6
I think I will get the audio-technica 440. This is crazy...my current tt setup kicks my Denon 370's ass.

Jun 16, 2002 at 6:22 PM Post #6 of 6
Actually, I just got a used Audio Technica AT440ML OCC moving magnet cartridge last week and replaced the Grado Black on my Denon turntable. The AT definetly has more life and sparkle to it. It makes the Grado seem a little lifeless and dull. I was doing a late night listening session last night(good music and beer) with Pat Travers. My system is dead quiet now and this setup was rocking. I pulled out a few more LPs and ended up listening to Gov't Mule "Dose." I have heard the Dose CD more than 100 times and on LP it was a whole new experience. Forget about SACD and DVD-A just get a good turntable and a few old LPs. I'm listening to System of a Down "Toxicity" on LP right now. It sounds great through my RKV II amp and JVC HA-DX3 headphones. I'm rocking to "Chop Suey" right now!! Now where's that damn repeat button?

I also just found a good place in Chicago to buy used LPs very cheap. The majority of them were under $10 and a lot were only $2. My LP collection will be expanding soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back