[unboxing] KEF LS50 Wireless
Dec 9, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #122 of 344
thanks...i've now done a complete 360 on the kef sub....am looking at Rythmik F12 or a Rel t/i7 or i/9

AVSforum has a lot of chatter when it comes to subs. Possibly a sealed sub will be more controlled for musical nature.

The dedicated kef streamer seems neat using a tablet/smart phone device.

I'm torn in some ways as I'm a speaker/amplifier kind of guy. I like swapping cabling and using usb to spdif converters to colour sound. If you've ever dabbled in that stuff you can hear difference using a Stello U3 in the chain for 24bit music. There are folks colouring the "regular" LS50 with tube amplification and vinyl. The LS50 ventures into the detail speaker almost like the Senn HD800(s) detail monster.

Rel and Rythmik seems to be something to consider for a sub.

Dec 9, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #123 of 344
AVSforum has a lot of chatter when it comes to subs. Possibly a sealed sub will be more controlled for musical nature.

The dedicated kef streamer seems neat using a tablet/smart phone device.

I'm torn in some ways as I'm a speaker/amplifier kind of guy. I like swapping cabling and using usb to spdif converters to colour sound. If you've ever dabbled in that stuff you can hear difference using a Stello U3 in the chain for 24bit music. There are folks colouring the "regular" LS50 with tube amplification and vinyl. The LS50 ventures into the detail speaker almost like the Senn HD800(s) detail monster.

Rel and Rythmik seems to be something to consider for a sub.

AVS ..yes that is where i got the Rythmik and PSA brand ideas to check out.
hell perhaps even a used Funk 18.0c if i could find one....

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #124 of 344
seems even highly regarded Paul McGowan of PS Audio
loves the concept of active speakers..just not enough demand for them for PS Audio to go there.
maybe in the future things will change...who knows

Dec 12, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #126 of 344
The draw to higher end active speakers is definitely in it's infancy or different realm of audio. I can agree on Paul regarding HIFI owners want to use their own gear to drive speakers.

I'm assuming many HIFI lovers want to enjoy the hobby by mix and matching to create a synergy that caters to their personal ears. A McIntosh amp/DAC will sound very different than a Bryston amp/DAC and I haven't eve discussed different Pre amps in the chain of events on a KEF LS50.

Headphone world people will probably say pre amp HUH??

I think the beauty of the wireless Kef LS50 is that it sounds great and if you latch onto that sound signature it's a great all in one. No playing with different configurations in seeking different synergy or tube rolling for people seeking fun in the hobby of a seeking audio nirvana.

I sure hope things evolve even more and have larger selection in the active speaker world. At this moment I think the LS50 has perfect applications for sleek simplicity look which is ultra clean.

Dec 12, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #127 of 344
kef-performance-speaker-stand-lifestyle.jpg

1. i know that dynaudio also has their active speaker line under the new focus hd series
but i don't think that they are Roon ready ..and are also 3-4x the price.
https://www.dynaudio.com/home-audio/focus-xd/focus-20-xd

i'd read of one guy who had listened to both systems...definitely no sub needed with the dynaudios (larger driver and woofer)...
but in his op they weren't 3-4x worth the extra price (of course it's just one person's thoughts)...dynaudio makes great products, even drivers for other companies i'm told.

2. i bought a sub today...:smile_phones:
SVS is having a limited run of their SB2000 in white piano gloss...will match my incoming (this sat) kef ls50 w speakers/stands both in white, too.
https://www.svsound.com/products/sb-2000
couldn't resist...so i bought one...might eventually go for two, but can't afford right now.
sb-2000_wg_product-page-label_small.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #128 of 344
my friend's LS50 Wireless does not seem to work on WiFi.
He can't even complete the onboarding process. He keeps getting this error "Unable to retrieve a list of networks. Ensure that you have working Wi-Fi network and try again"

any ideas?

Dec 13, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #129 of 344
my friend's LS50 Wireless does not seem to work on WiFi.
He can't even complete the onboarding process. He keeps getting this error "Unable to retrieve a list of networks. Ensure that you have working Wi-Fi network and try again"

any ideas?

Hello - have you checked if your friends router supports 2.4ghz, and 5.0 ghz bands? The Kef ls50 will support both. Also ask your friend if the sisid is set to visible and not hidden.

thank you

Dec 13, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #130 of 344
1. i know that dynaudio also has their active speaker line under the new focus hd series
but i don't think that they are Roon ready ..and are also 3-4x the price.
https://www.dynaudio.com/home-audio/focus-xd/focus-20-xd

i'd read of one guy who had listened to both systems...definitely no sub needed with the dynaudios (larger driver and woofer)...
but in his op they weren't 3-4x worth the extra price (of course it's just one person's thoughts)...dynaudio makes great products, even drivers for other companies i'm told.

2. i bought a sub today...:smile_phones:
SVS is having a limited run of their SB2000 in white piano gloss.
https://www.svsound.com/products/sb-2000
couldn't resist...so i bought one...might eventually go for two, but can't afford right now.

At one point Totem was using dynaudio drivers for the Totem Forest until Buzz developed his own signature driver that literally looks identical.

In audio diminishing returns or "is it worth it" are totally so personal. Digital filters seem to work somewhat but there is still no substitution to swapping DACs, pre amps or amplification. Throw analog harmonics from tube gear will change the sound one set of speakers entirely. I'll play some Paul Hardcastle and use my solid state dac but put piano into the mix... my tube DAC gets used instead of solid state. My Totem Earths sounds totally different.

Great choice on the sub!!

Dec 13, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #131 of 344
Hello - have you checked if your friends router supports 2.4ghz, and 5.0 ghz bands? The Kef ls50 will support both. Also ask your friend if the sisid is set to visible and not hidden.

thank you

thanks! think his router is only 2.4GHz
His SSID is set to broadcast/visible

The Bluetooth on the LS50 Wireless works fine though

Dec 13, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #132 of 344
You might do a site survey with something like "Wifi Analyzer" app to check the signal strength near the speakers.

Jan 12, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #135 of 344
just installed my new set of LS50 wireless....I find the mid/bass a bit boomy and overbearing....do you guys think this will change with burn-in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back