[unboxing] KEF LS50 Wireless
Nov 16, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #91 of 344
I have the KEF KUBE 2 b (12) and it is something special.

It is very powerful but understated. It makes acoustic bass gorgeous and although it can rattle your fillings, it does not over modulate nor lose its musicality.

I said that KEF LS50W may not need a subwoofer, but once added, I can't imagine not having it. It is spoiling.

The balance between the two (LS50W and subwoofer) is terrific.

We tested classical and some heavy bass stuff.

Nov 18, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #92 of 344
I had my LS50w since they first came out in the US. Also had them paired with a dual 15inch PSA 3000i sub.

Everyday I am amazed and truly enjoy the sound. Even people who would never looked at audio the way we do are impressed by the clarity the sound of the speakers. Pairing them with a sub provides a mind blowing experience each time.

One off topic question...do you guys, which have the speakers connected to a computer, put windows sound settings for the speakers at 24bit/192khz? The DAC in these will convert it to that regardless of the input, correct? So it would not be best to have windows/programs convert the sound just to have it converted again by the speakers' DAC.

You should have the flag set to allow exclusive mode. This bypasses Windows sound making that setting moot.

Nov 20, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #94 of 344
i'm about to sell my naim muso and return to 2.0 with these kefs.
I am to use them for both home audio and ht (with my new tv...replacing my 10 yr old rear projection).
i'm also using Roon, Tidal and have a microrendu/lps 1 power supply.

the Kef rep i spoke to suggested the R400b as a sub ...but man that is pricey!
or the kef kube 12 b.....what of other subs from SVS or Hsu?

Nov 21, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #95 of 344
finally got my replacement set of KEF LS50W (the previous set was having some imbalance issues)
- I LOVE IT
- the sound is now rightly centred!
- the rubber groves fit my Aperta stands perfectly!

Upgrades I'm thinking of
- The Ethernet interconnect between the L/R speakers (any suggestions?)
- The 2x Power cables (do the Isotek cables actually make any difference?)
- The USB cable and Network cable (to really minimise the noise, etc.)
- The subwoofer but I'm actually thinking of going with the JL Audio subs (I auditioned them and they are just insane)

Nov 21, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #96 of 344
This may be a silly question, but did check the balance knob on the back of the left speaker on the speakers that had the imbalance issue? Just curious.

Also, what model JL Audio sub?

finally got my replacement set of KEF LS50W (the previous set was having some imbalance issues)
- I LOVE IT
- the sound is now rightly centred!
- the rubber groves fit my Aperta stands perfectly!

Upgrades I'm thinking of
- The Ethernet interconnect between the L/R speakers (any suggestions?)
- The 2x Power cables (do the Isotek cables actually make any difference?)
- The USB cable and Network cable (to really minimise the noise, etc.)
- The subwoofer but I'm actually thinking of going with the JL Audio subs (I auditioned them and they are just insane)

Nov 21, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #97 of 344
This may be a silly question, but did check the balance knob on the back of the left speaker on the speakers that had the imbalance issue? Just curious.

Also, what model JL Audio sub?

yup! I've ensured it but it made no difference.
I brought it to the shop/showroom and there was a difference between my set and their demo units.

thinking of either the D or E series. yet to decide.

Nov 22, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #98 of 344
OK, the reason I ask is that I did even know the knob was there until a few weeks a go. :smile_phones:

Nov 23, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #100 of 344
I am seriously considering to get rid of all of speaker, amp and dac etc and consolidate all into KEF LS50W.

I read manuals etc and one thing that I cannot figure out is if there is a way LS50W internal DAC can be connected to separate headamp. So if I want to listen via headphone during the night, I can still use internal dac connected to external headamp. Is this even possible?

Nov 23, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #101 of 344
the iso acoustic ''aperta'' stands (aluminum) look quite nice...seems you can use them on any regular speaker stands, too
http://www.isoacoustics.com/home-audio/

ax151.JPG

Nov 23, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #102 of 344
guys...any issues w these speakers as below?
from Roon community thread by LS50 wls owners.

i2 threads that are a bit disconcerting...maybe some of you guys will pay the thread a visit and chip in.

1 https://community.roonlabs.com/t/poll-of-kef-ls50-wireless-owners/32500/64
2 https://community.roonlabs.com/t/hardware-reliability-issues-with-the-kef-ls-50w/31422/7

Rik_Carter
25d
Here’s a quick summary of the poll results so far:

No. of people who own the LS50 Wireless : 20
No. of people who have experienced some kind of fault: 10

So, 50% of KEF LS50W owners have experienced a problem/fault of increasing severity:

i. Flashing lights indicating a ‘system failure’ and the loss of sound from one or both speakers. Normally fixed by power cycling the master speaker.
ii. Bricking the speaker due to a flaky firmware upgrade process/software. Some have recovered after a hard reset; others have been less fortunate.
iii. Hardware issue with ‘clicking’ or distortion in one speaker requiring the speakers to be replaced.

And, what is more concerning, is that at least 3 owners have had mutliple hardware failures even with replacement speakers.

Now clearly this poll is not statistically significant but, still, this is not a positive outcome for KEF.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #103 of 344
I am one that responded to that survey Rik put up.

I would say that even with the issues it is worth tying these speakers. IMO
So much so that I talked my mom into getting a pair and she is loving them.
YMMV and all that.

The 50% is of the people responding to the poll and all owners, BTW.

guys...any issues w these speakers as below?
from Roon community thread by LS50 wls owners.

i2 threads that are a bit disconcerting...maybe some of you guys will pay the thread a visit and chip in.

1 https://community.roonlabs.com/t/poll-of-kef-ls50-wireless-owners/32500/64
2 https://community.roonlabs.com/t/hardware-reliability-issues-with-the-kef-ls-50w/31422/7

Rik_Carter
25d
Here’s a quick summary of the poll results so far:

No. of people who own the LS50 Wireless : 20
No. of people who have experienced some kind of fault: 10

So, 50% of KEF LS50W owners have experienced a problem/fault of increasing severity:

i. Flashing lights indicating a ‘system failure’ and the loss of sound from one or both speakers. Normally fixed by power cycling the master speaker.
ii. Bricking the speaker due to a flaky firmware upgrade process/software. Some have recovered after a hard reset; others have been less fortunate.
iii. Hardware issue with ‘clicking’ or distortion in one speaker requiring the speakers to be replaced.

And, what is more concerning, is that at least 3 owners have had mutliple hardware failures even with replacement speakers.

Now clearly this poll is not statistically significant but, still, this is not a positive outcome for KEF.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #104 of 344
I am one that responded to that survey Rik put up.

I would say that even with the issues it is worth tying these speakers.
So much so that I talked my mom into getting a pair and she is loving them.
YMMV and all that.

The 50% is of the people responding to the poll and all owners, BTW.

thanks...always good to get perspective. guess digital active speakers are still a work in progress.
have read great things about dynaudio focus xd200 but they're double the price...don't know if are Roon approved, either.

so would you say: just have an ethernet connection (so they're wired) to lessen any issues?
any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #105 of 344
The KEF are not fully "ROON ready" as they can not use RAAT. Bui they can act as an endpoint, just cant group them with other zones.
I still use a RPi with hifiberry digi+ pro hat ro drive them.

thanks...always good to get perspective. guess digital active speakers are still a work in progress.
have read great things about dynaudio focus xd200 but they're double the price...don't know if are Roon approved, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back