[unboxing] KEF LS50 Wireless
Dec 19, 2016 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 344

tamsaiming2003

Head-Fier
So, one day, a big box landed on my home. A 23kg box! Wow? What's inside?

IsoTek EV03 Premierx2

Gloss Black/Blue (so cyber~)

^^AV products with lower noise level

It's KEF LS50 Wireless! Bravo! The "active" version of renowned KEF LS50 with 4 Wolfson WM8740E DAC (two on one side)(side-note: 24bit 192khz playback, no native DSD playback supported, to play a DSD file, you need to convert DSD to PCM format(i.e. software decoding)See below:
Windows: usb dac- foobar2000; 
MacOS: usb dac- Audirvana Plus; 
Android: dlna playback-local music: Neutron Music Player, cloud music(Qobuz or Tidal): BubbleUPnP), 
AMP and DSP, wifi(2.4g and 5g), bluetooth, RCA input, Toslink input, USB type B port......etc, all these new hardware and software with just HKD$10000 more (less than USD$1300)

Mysterious!

The Ports(Back of the right KEF LS50 Wireless)

The uni-q driver is so sexy!
So, you know the speaker requires more than 500 hours of burn-in time(the uni-q driver, dac and amp). So, how do I "skip" the burn-in time and enjoy the great music?

I pair the KEF LS50 Wireless with my cheap but great DAC and AMP:
Chord Mojo
Nobsound MS-10D Mkii]Nobsound MS-10D Mkii (with Russian 6H1n tubes and Russian 6n1n-EB tubes)
Cable: 1. Labkable Acoustic Revive PC-triple C 3.5mm male to RCA male
2. Moon Audio Silver Dragon USB cable (will use)
Both of them are of high CP values.(Well, I am so poor that I cannot buy a desktop DAC or desktop pre-AMP or desktop AMP or desktop integrated AMP)

No extra money to buy a SACD player or CD player......so I use my old blu-ray player

Another angle of the speaker. Oh, the uni-q driver is so handsome!

Aux input

Optical Toslink input

USB input

Wifi(use it with "LS50 Wireless" app, with this app, you can configure speaker distance from edge of the desk, distance from the speaker to the wall, level of bass extension,.etc. Thus, you can tailor-make your KEF sound!)(Again, android-dlna playback:local music: Neutron Music Player, cloud music(Qobuz or Tidal): BubbleUPnP))

Bluetooth aptx (There is no aptx HD codec with this speaker. This is a flagship bookshelf speaker, right? Hope KEF adds aptx HD or LDAC in the next generation LS50.)

Getting ready

<<U87>> from Eason Chan (Cantonese, 2005) - Recommended by Time Magazine as one of the five best Asian albums worth buying<<<<<<<A must buy sacd, even if you don't understand Cantonese at all!

A good album from Faye Wong

The big picture
One more sexy picture of

Chord Mojo and Nobsound MS-10D Mk II

I will share my first impression/review on youtube, stay tuned!
Thx. for reading! Shut up and take your money out!

The next unboxing and review: Sony MDR-Z1R

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #6 of 344
We won't have to wait a year.  They coming to the US in Jan 2017.

Jan 26, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #8 of 344
恭喜發財! Andrew. If you can read Chinese, read this. If not, never mind. It is just a full impression about KEF LS50 Wireless, turntable Teac Tn570, Chord Mojo, Nobdound MS-10D MK II.
Anyway, back to your question, my impression with Nobsound and russian tubes(red one, RMB 78), starting with the bad are that the sound become very thin and it leans a little bit backward. The bass is completely cut as well as the dynamics. But the good side is the sound is warm, soft and a little bit dark. If you can drop by a Chinese CD shop and buy an album from Faye Wong, or more easily, listen to Tidal or Qobuz(this is the best streaming platform I have ever heard of), listen to "Yue Ding" from Faye Wong. You would be amazed by the sweet soft vocal from Faye Wong. This is what I found good by the Nobsound MS-10D Mkii.
But I am not satisified with this. I would like a pre-amp which can play on one hand, soft sweet vocal, on the other hand, high dynamics music, clean and solid (deep) bass. Thus, I recently bought this pre-amp with 2 jj ecc82 and 2 jj ecc83s delux package. I also bought two 6u4n rectifiers to replace the stock crap 6z4 rectifiers. So now my setup is, iMac-->Chord Mojo-->new pre-amp-->KEF LS50 Wireless.
I am looking forward for the sonic improvement.
Hope my impression helps you.

Jan 27, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #12 of 344
Yes and no, depends on your desire. If you want something a wired/wireless active speaker can do, LS50W itself is enough and the answer. If you want amp sound with passive LS50, e.g. Marantz PM8005 with passive LS50, then LS50W itself is not enough. You need a pre-amp or passive LS50 with Marzntz PM8005. If you hope for tube sound, buy a tube pre-amp and LS50W or tube pre-amp, tube amp with passive LS50 or tube integrated amp with passive LS50. So, all depends on your desire and wants.

Feb 11, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #14 of 344
Probably will sound great. It would be interesting for someone who has both a quality LS 50 set up and the wired LS 50 to write up a comparison and post it here.

Feb 15, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #15 of 344
Update: how to reduce the too powerful and clutter bass and make it clean and a pleasing one

According to HK magazine <>, go to LS50 Wireless app, enter speaker setttings, expert mode, set wall mode: -5.5db (range from 0.0db to -6.0 db) and you are good to go.
(I beleive desk mode: mid modification; wall mode: bass modification; treble trim: treble modification)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back