Unbelievable F1 Season End (2008)
Nov 2, 2008 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32
I've been watching F1 for many years, but I can't remember a more exciting ending, everything coming into play that could have.

1. Massa does the best he can be expected to do, winning the race at home, and being the champ if Hamilton finishes below 5th.
  2. Vettel, proving himself an unreal rain driver, passes Hamilton to put Hamilton in 6th.
  3. Rain falls harder, with drivers (including Timo Glock) in between Massa and Vettel running on dry tires, but able to stay out.
  4. Massa crosses the line, and waits for his championship to be official.
  5. Glock loses traction, and falls off the pace with what seemed at the time like a sliver of wet track left.
  6. Vettel and Hamilton go by Glock to put Hamilton in 5th for the championship.
  7. Ferrari stable doesn't realize Glock lost pace, and both Ferrari and McLaren are celebrating the championship win, with Ferrari's celebration short-lived.
  8. Hamilton is 2008 F1 champion.
  9. Remarkable.

I'm a fan of both Hamilton and Massa, but, as a long-time Ferrari fan, I was rooting for Massa. I'm really not disappointed, though, as that was one of the most exciting endings to a race I've yet seen.

As the commentators are saying: The championship came down to the final turn of the final lap of the final race.

Sigh....already longing for the next season.

Nov 2, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 32
Unbelievable race end. I thought Glock was one of the cars having lost a turn, so I believed that Massa was this season champion.
I was hoping Massa to win, I didn't like the idea of Hamilton beating Alonso's youngest F1 champion record, but well, these are the races. Fair play on all sides and fantastic season for Renault that managed to get a decent car for the last races leading Alonso to the fifth place this year.
BMW could have done a better season, I don't know what they did to lose track after Canada. I was hoping Kubica to end 3rd and still with chances to win the title by the final races.

Nov 2, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 32
was rooting for Massa. but luck twisted in the last few corner...

Nov 2, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 32
Truly Fantastic. Hamilton is amazing. 2nd season, and he won the championship. 1 point off last time, one point in this time.

Funny when Massa is holing is finger up (1st) when he crosses the line, then Glock lost traction on his dry tyres, and Ferrari are celebrating, then just stop, and Mclaren continue! Loved it.

Good job the rain came down harder like i was wishing, otherwise Hamilton wouldn't have got it IMO. Glad he did change his tyres to wets in the end, I was thinking, what if they hadn't have changed during the last lap, then that happened. He deserved it IMO. Shame the crowd boo'd.

Did you see? Hamilton was so pumped, and stoked he couldn't put his steering wheel back on, and could have been disqualified, fortunately he got it on.

Been watching F1 since I was very young, and that was the best ending to a season, and best last race I have ever seen.

Matt

Nov 2, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't watch F1, but I'm happy for Hamilton because we need more diverse drivers participating in motorsport.

I don't give a damn what race the guy is, but I know he might be the most talented driver in history.

That being said, this makes two consecutive years that he's blown a sizable lead at the end of the season. That is so pathetic.

Nov 2, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #9 of 32
Hamilton has reminded the F1 circus what racing is all about and has made this season entertaining to the end. I do hope that the regulation changes still allow enough innovation to keep F1 the 'First Formula'. I also hope that Raikkonen 'wakes up' next season and that another team rises to match McLaren and Ferrari.

Nov 2, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #11 of 32
being from england you can guess who i was routing for!

alonso and renault haha, im a dedicated renault supporter for reason i wont go into here, so i wasnt to bothered,

both actually deserved it, lewis had some harsh penalty decisions, massa had some bad luck with his team

both had poor races, massa at silverstone and others and hmailtons pit lane in canada, and the race he put on the wrong tyres for Q, plus a few others

neither have been exceptional, and, until te last few aces, i would have said kubica was the most deserving this year

i still think fernando is the best on the grid and will never forget how happy i was in 05-06

f1 the only sport i follow as a fan, however being a constructor the possible impending engine proposition would stop me watching it for good

Nov 3, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't give a damn what race the guy is, but I know he might be the most talented driver in history.

That being said, this makes two consecutive years that he's blown a sizable lead at the end of the season. That is so pathetic.

Don't count out Vettel as a really talented driver. He could be the guy spoiling Hamilton's career, in fact, he almost was if it weren't for Glock.

Nov 3, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #14 of 32
I'd love to see Renault give Piquet the boot, and sign Vettel up. Alonso and Vettel would make for one hell of a duo, and if their car keeps improving, next season could be a real dogfight! Hopefully BMW would perform more similarly to how they did mid-year as opposed to lately. What a battle it would be!

Nov 3, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #15 of 32
Always be ready, because you never know when opportunity will show up.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back