unbalanced GS1000 to balanced
Jul 18, 2008 at 11:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

alexdemaet

1000+ Head-Fier
Would my unbalanced Blackdragon Headphile Grado GS1000 needs
recabling if I want it to become a balanced can (would it still be able to (re)use the BlackDragon cable)?

Jul 18, 2008 at 11:26 AM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexdemaet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would my unbalanced Blackdragon Headphile Grado GS1000 needs
recabling if I want it to become a balanced can (would it still be able to (re)use the BlackDragon cable)?

As long as there are 4 conductors (which most likely there are) - yes.

Jul 21, 2008 at 11:38 AM Post #3 of 20
Drew from Moon Audio told me that they simply have to be reterminated to XLR balanced, so only for $149 USD it can be done
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #6 of 20
You might want to post something in the DIY section to see if there is someone there in Belgium who can help you out. This really isn't a difficult job.

EDIT: Being an MOT, I just want to be clear. I don't think Drew's price is outrageous. The high-end Furutech XLRs are expensive.

Jul 22, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexdemaet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, that would be wonderful. Too bad I can't do it myself.

Take it to the nearest electronics repair shop - the tech there should be able to do in 15 minutes flat.

Jul 22, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #10 of 20
I have been told from Drew lately that " ... The cable geometry is balanced and is wired the same on the headphone end of the cable. The other end where the plug is can easily be changed whenever you decide to go to a balanced rig... "

So , you are supposed to just follow the Lad27 advice .

(do not bother about the Silver in place of Black Dragon in my signature
biggrin.gif
)

Jul 22, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #11 of 20
That would save me some bucks
smily_headphones1.gif
Shipping + return shipping: ($45x2) $ 90 USD. And I would have to miss my Grado for more then a month!
Do you believe I can order those Furutech XLR's seperately? I don't think they can be found in Belgium.

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:12 AM Post #13 of 20
It's truly amazing that the BlackDragon headphone cable is balanced and it doesn't need to be recabled to make balanced headphone.
I called an electronic shop. I don't think they have any experience with balanced retermination because they suggested a kind of adapter (1/4" adapter to XLR) instead of cutting the Blackdragon and solding a XLR plug.
Could anyone give me some instructions on how to reterminate the cable? So I can explain them how it should be done.

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:59 AM Post #14 of 20
From utilisateur in the DIY Forum: "If you find out for sure that the cable itself is "balanced" as in having seperate ground wires i think the Job would be rather easy even though one might better desolder the cable at the cups before the new connector is soldered on to prevent heat damage. I'm certain there are enough capable and suitable people on here.."

Jul 22, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #15 of 20
NEUTRIK NC3MX-HD XLR MALE w/GOLD CONTACTS = $15

NEUTRIK NC3MX-B XLR MALE BLACK w/SILVER CONTACTS = $5

Why Furetech XLR connectors FP-601M at $60 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back