Unbalanced DAC with Balanced Amp
Feb 25, 2017 at 9:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

thyname

500+ Head-Fier
If my Amp has Balanced headphones jacks, and Balanced inputs, does the DAC must have balanced outputs for truly Balanced setup?

Feb 25, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #2 of 6
If my Amp has Balanced headphones jacks, and Balanced inputs, does the DAC must have balanced outputs for truly Balanced setup?

Yes, the DAC must have balanced outputs for your setup to be fully balanced. You have to check the audio-processing chips, op-amps, and everything else from every component, as XLR connectors do not guarantee a balanced power current.

I have demoed setups with balanced amps and unbalanced DACs at both meets and shows, and they generally have a more forward soundstage, as a balanced amp and balanced DAC will generally move the soundstage back a little bit, so that you can hear more details.

Feb 25, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #3 of 6

I have a balanced DAC and two balanced amps. I have used both the balanced and S/E inputs on both amps, and I honestly can't hear a difference. YMMV
wink_face.gif

Feb 25, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #4 of 6
Yes, the DAC must have balanced outputs for your setup to be fully balanced. You have to check the audio-processing chips, op-amps, and everything else from every component, as XLR connectors do not guarantee a balanced power current.

I have demoed setups with balanced amps and unbalanced DACs at both meets and shows, and they generally have a more forward soundstage, as a balanced amp and balanced DAC will generally move the soundstage back a little bit, so that you can hear more details.

I appreciate the reply.

Here are some more details:

DAC is Schiit Modi 2 Multibit, and I am anticipating getting the fully balanced Matrix HPA-3B Amp. The HPA-3B comes with rca-to-xlr connectors for hooking up unbalanced DACs with RCA only outputs.

Headphones are Sennheiser HD 800, which I believe are balanced out-of-the box with no mods. Ordering a custom made Balanced cable for HD 800.

Since it does not sound I am getting a true balanced set up (please correct me if I am wrong), am I better off not getting the Matrix HPA-3B and continue to use my unbalanced existing Amp (Airist Heron 5) with my Modi 2 Multibit, or returning Modi 2 DAC (still within the return window), and getting a Balanced DAC to be used with HPA-3B?

Thanks!

Feb 25, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #5 of 6
I appreciate the reply.

DAC is Schiit Modi 2 Multibit, and I am anticipating getting the fully balanced Matrix HPA-3B Amp. The HPA-3B comes with rca-to-xlr connectors for hooking up unbalanced DACs with RCA only outputs.

Headphones are Sennheiser HD 800, which I believe are balanced out-of-the box with no mods. Ordering a custom made Balanced cable for HD 800.

Since it does not sound I am getting a true balanced set up (please correct me if I am wrong), am I better off not getting the Matrix HPA-3B and continue to use my unbalanced existing Amp (Airist Heron 5) with my Modi 2 Multibit, or returning Modi 2 DAC (still within the return window), and getting a Balanced DAC to be used with HPA-3B?

Thanks!

Only YOUR ears will tell you the answer. 

Feb 25, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 6
I appreciate the reply.

Thanks!

The headphones are not balanced themselves and will only take whatever power current is provided.

I don't know your budget, but here is one product that will be fully balanced via front-xlr-out right out-of-the-box:

https://www.amazon.com/GUSTARD-A20H-AK4497EQ-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B01M5DA9V6/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488056844&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=gustard+dac-x20+pro

If you have to, return the mimby and check how much you are willing to spend.

Edit: If you have a Airist Heron 5, read this article:

http://headfonics.com/2015/12/the-heron-5-by-arist-audio/

It looks like a gumby (Schiit Gungnir Multi-Bit) paired with the Heron 5 will be a perfect pairing, so check out the gumby as well.

If you still want a fully balanced sound, check out the Gustard A20H above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back