Ummm....doesn't this power cord go against Einsteins theory of relitivity?.
Feb 4, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #61 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippytiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When will these be available?

tongue.gif

At some point far enough in the future that I can take hundreds of preorders for them soon and not have to do anything about it for a few years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotchaforce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why would you dig up a 5 year old post and then reply to it in this stupid manner?

this is the most foolish type of posting ive ever seen.

Hah! I hadn't even noticed that. Here I was thinking a long thread on the subject just popped up over the day and a half I wasn't here. This makes that post look even more ridiculous.

Feb 4, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #62 of 63
Oh man this takes me back...

Ok a couple of things... the speed of electricity would depend on what you define it as. Is it the electrons? or is it the energy?
Electrons in wire travel at about 1m/s. Yep that slow. The energy however travels at significantly faster. Think of Newton's Cradle. A piece of wire is much like that. You apply a voltage to it, one electron goes in and one comes out seemingly at (something close to) the speed of light. But its not the same electron. The electron you push in at one end nudges all the other electrons further down the wire until finally one gets bumped out the other end.

Electricity passing through a wire generates heat. An increase in heat causes an increase in resistance in the wire. That in turn causes more heat. If you can keep the wire cool it will have less resistance.

E=mc^2
Energy = mass x speed of light x speed of light

This equation describes how much energy, a certain mass of matter will convert to and vice versa. This is why it is used in reference to nuclear energy so much. But the important thing to remember is that it is not the mass of the fuel undergoing fission (or fusion) that is used but the *mass defect*.
When you split a uranium atom you will get two different atoms out. However the mass of these two new atoms added together will not equal the original mass of the uranium. This is the mass defect. It is this missing mass that is converted into energy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back