UM56 (or custom owners) How many refits?
Aug 26, 2009 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

talisman42

500+ Head-Fier
I received my UM56 and do not like them one bit. I'm afraid that my ears will bleed the next time I try them on. I believe the impressions ok - but a bit tight. We might be able to work with the existing impressions. The major issue is the material and length. Perhaps we can shorten a bit and shrink them down? Should I continue working with the audiologist or is this something I can work with Westone directly? This silicon material is not ideal at all.

Do any of you depend on lube? I think that's silly, too. One of the benefits of a custom tip is that you won't need to replace foams any more. But that benefit is gone if you need to keep a supply of lube around - not to mention the additional effort of insert/removing.

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #2 of 11
I'm sure that your fit is wrong.
I've got silicone custom ear plugs, which came with lube. but i never used the stuff more than once. yours are only tips, so they probably don't even go as far in as plugs aught to.

I'd work with the audiologist about this, as they've probably got the equipment to fix this stuff. they have to do it for the hearing aids they produce. they probably will be able to shape and fit it appropriately. quicker too, as you won't have to mail it in.

Aug 26, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #3 of 11
This matter should be resolved by your audiologist. I just received my UM56, also in Otoblast (silicone). Once I got the hang of inserting them, really has been fine. I will note that my ears are far from dry. Needed to frequently clean my IEMs and watch for wax buildup. Brand new, there was more friction inserting. But, to a certain extent, that was caused by my not doing it quite right.

My audiologist told me that Westone would provide one free remake. Maybe you should take advantage of that.

My UM3x IEMs really do perform much better with the UM56. That, for me, is the real reason for going the custom tip route.

Good luck.

Aug 26, 2009 at 11:43 AM Post #4 of 11
try it for a few days and see how.

mine wasn't really tight, maybe because i took impression at late evening.
i was quite frustrated first 2 days, after that i could not leave my um3x without it.

Aug 26, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 11
First off... I had mine remade 3 or 4 times! I did it through my audiologist, but basically, she just called Westone and said "make the right one a tad smaller". I actually think that learning how to insert them properly is more than half the battle... I've gone back and tried one of my earlier sets and I can get it in fairly comfortably now. Then again, there are some days I have problems with latest set. I don't know if our ears swell, but some times it's definitely more challenging than others.

Also... I'd be careful about asking them to make them shorter... one set came back a little shorter and, yes, they were easier to insert... but I definitely didn't get as good a seal.

Stick with them... it's worth it.

Aug 26, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #6 of 11
I've got silicone customs from Starkey, essentially the same thing as the UM56. They were right on the first try. They seal well as long as I'm not trying to eat with them in or something like that, and are comfortable for about 4 hours at a time. After about 4 hours I get slight soreness in the inner ear, but I don't think it's a fit issue.

As far as I know, you've got a fit warranty, and you can have them remade as many times as it takes. You may have to pay for impressions though.

Aug 26, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #8 of 11
I got my UM56 (silicon) a week ago. can't use it without lube. my ear is usually quite dry. even my ear wax is dry powder. with lube I can put them in my ear easily but the bone conduction is so crazy like regular silicon tip that mess up the music when I walk. I am going back to audiologist monday and see what is the solution. (westone suggest vinyl is better for me)

the other thing with my UM56 is that they make my UM3X stick out about 5mm than comply tip make it look a little odd and probably not insert deep enough to reduce bone conducting foot step sound.

Aug 26, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #9 of 11
thanks for the suggestions and your experiences. even when I insert the tips without the headphones, the tips go in deep and the base of the tip is almost recessed in the ear canal. this isn't good especially when base of the tip sits flush with the IEM so I can see how this can lead to even more discomfort. Since there is a fit guarantee, I'll have to follow up on that. Not so happy about it because of the inconvenient location and availability of the reseller. Can I transfer the service to a more local audiologist who isn't on the Westone's list?

Aug 26, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #10 of 11
Yikes! Did you have to make multiple trips or do you think I can do this over mail?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First off... I had mine remade 3 or 4 times! I did it through my audiologist, but basically, she just called Westone and said "make the right one a tad smaller". I actually think that learning how to insert them properly is more than half the battle... I've gone back and tried one of my earlier sets and I can get it in fairly comfortably now. Then again, there are some days I have problems with latest set. I don't know if our ears swell, but some times it's definitely more challenging than others.

Also... I'd be careful about asking them to make them shorter... one set came back a little shorter and, yes, they were easier to insert... but I definitely didn't get as good a seal.

Stick with them... it's worth it.

Aug 26, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #11 of 11
Thanks for the comment. I couldn't imagine anyone using these with dry ears so your testimony makes sense to me. Yes, I can go for a refit or try to modify them, but I think I'm going down a path of more frustration. This is partly due to the fact the audiologist is only available 2 days a week, and I need to take a $10 cab ride each time. The time off from work is so unworth it. That's not the audiologist's fault though, however I think they could have made much better recommendations in terms of material selection and other variables. these things go too deep in that the base of the tip goes too far inside my canal. For an IEM case like the W3, this can't possibly work nor be fixed other than a completely new set.

Quote:

Originally Posted by otello66 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This matter should be resolved by your audiologist. I just received my UM56, also in Otoblast (silicone). Once I got the hang of inserting them, really has been fine. I will note that my ears are far from dry. Needed to frequently clean my IEMs and watch for wax buildup. Brand new, there was more friction inserting. But, to a certain extent, that was caused by my not doing it quite right.

My audiologist told me that Westone would provide one free remake. Maybe you should take advantage of that.

My UM3x IEMs really do perform much better with the UM56. That, for me, is the real reason for going the custom tip route.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back