Um2 Stage monitors?
Mar 17, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 9
I've never heard the UM2's, but from what I gather from reading it isn't really mid-centric (and that is where vocals and guitars predominantly lie in the frequency curve) and has a slight u-ish curve. So you may possibly have better choices out there for those particular needs.

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 9
Vocal will sound great on UM2, Acoustic guitar might not be as great since UM2 upper treble is a bit roll off. The good news is, the little treble roll off means UM2 is less fatiguing than most IEM out there.

I remember seeing Boyzone's reunion concert at new years and noticed all of them were using UM2 as stage monitor - quite cool actually.

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by oddball5733 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been wanting to invest in a pair of UM2's
has anyone had any experience with these as far as stage monitors running vocals and acoustic guitar?

-Thanks

Outside of spending 3 to 4x as much for customs, UM2 is probably the best choice you could make. Contrary to most IEM's that are currently made for "listening pleasure", UM2's were designed as stage monitors. The midrange is somewhat forward and fantastic so vocals and acoustic guitar will be well represented. Bass is also strong but highs are a little rolled off. UM2 has the best ergonomics and comfort of any IEM ever made.

Mar 19, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #7 of 9
I would say W3 is better in every other aspect other than vocals and guitars. The midrange in W3 sounds more clean but also weaker in comparison to UM2.

I have no idea what is needed in stage listening, but if resolution and soundstage is important W3 is better. If pure midrange emphasis means more then I would say UM2 is your choice.

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Saigon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say W3 is better in every other aspect other than vocals and guitars. The midrange in W3 sounds more clean but also weaker in comparison to UM2.

I have no idea what is needed in stage listening, but if resolution and soundstage is important W3 is better. If pure midrange emphasis means more then I would say UM2 is your choice.

Totally agree. Well put.

Mar 19, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Saigon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I also completely agree with this assessment, and will add that as a 2 1/2 year user of the UM2, I grew to appreciate/crave the forward mids and only considered upgrading to W3 - only to have its less emphasis somewhat stymie me for a bit - it actually is a more balanced presentation and in time I've acclimated to the better balance, fuller range, & wider soundstage of the W3s, but UM2s will always remain a bit more visceral & the stiffer cable & slightly lower design make them the absolute best overall fitting/wearing. As stage monitors I'd definitely start here. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back