UM1, Image X5, Custom 2 - comfort, size & SQ comparisons?
Dec 4, 2008 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hmai18

100+ Head-Fier
I received my X5s from Klipsch on Monday and have been putting in some decent time on them during the day while I'm at the office. They sound so much clearer than the Sonys they replaced, but the problem is that I can't get rid of the pressure spots they seem to be causing.

I've tried all the tip sizes, I've tried rotating the gels as well as the buds themselves, all to no avail. The pressure spots are made worse when I wear the buds under a hat (it's getting cold here) and the housings are pressed into my ear because of the way they stick out.

What should I do? The UM1s are regarded as some of the most comfortable IEMs around, but would I be stepping backwards in SQ by getting them? Another option is seeing whether Klipsch would be willing to exchange the Images for a pair of Custom 2s, but what about size? The UM1s are said to be pretty small and can be hidden away by the curvature of the ear. How big are the Custom 2s with their dual-driver setup?

Thoughts?

Dec 5, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #3 of 5
My first thought: Have you tried inserting the gels up into your ear at about a 45 degree angle? This will cause the IEM to rest against your ear with little pressure, and part of the gel will stick out of your upper ear. It seemed to help me when I really wanted my X10 to lie as flat as possible.

The X10 is considered probably the most comfortable IEM out there, and the X5 can't be far behind. Westones are known for their comfort as well. I don't think I've heard anyone say "comfortable" and "klipsch custom <number>" in the same sentence, probably because they're larger than the Image line.

I'd say give it another week before you decide. You may just need a bit more time to figure out how to make the X5 work for you.

And yes, the UM1 would be a step back. The Custom 2 will probably be a step back as well.

Dec 5, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #4 of 5
this is the first complaint i have heard about the image line, when it comes to comfort. I'd suggest heeding taikero's advice, as that is exactly what i do with my image X5's...and they are so comfortable that if music wasn't playing, i would forget that they are even on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back