Um, help with Japanese business etiquette
Jul 23, 2005 at 2:14 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
...double standard?

They learned our language, I think least we can do is line up their business cards the right way.

Jul 23, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #17 of 31
Don't sit cross legged, where the soles of your shows are visible. Do not use hand gestures while talking, and don't buy to their politeness and smiles, be firm. Don’t jump to business right away and wait until they bring up the business topic in question.

Jul 23, 2005 at 5:45 AM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ogewo
They learned our language, I think least we can do is line up their business cards the right way.

so if i learn japanese i can just be myself? it would take less time than trying to master all this nonsense.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 23, 2005 at 5:52 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

so if i learn japanese i can just be myself? it would take less time than trying to master all this nonsense.

Sure, act however you want to. But don't go complaining if someone from another country comes up to you and slaps you in the face, saying that it's normal in their country to do so.

Jul 23, 2005 at 6:06 AM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrie
Sure, act however you want to. But don't go complaining if someone from another country comes up to you and slaps you in the face, saying that it's normal in their country to do so.

lol! you really labored your point, my friend.

it's just, look at the list of details this poor guy has to remember. he's going to end up frozen in place not moving for fear of offending someone. sure the culture is old and should be respected, but come on! is really showing a bit of your sole a "slap in the face"? give me a break!

i work with many people every day from china, japan, the middle east, india, and personally i find it charming and interesting to see how another culture interacts.

Jul 23, 2005 at 8:13 AM Post #22 of 31
Sorry man, being Japanese, I kind of got a bit pissed for a second when you called Japanese etiquette "nonsense."

But well, summing it up, just because you think something is ridiculous doesn't mean it is. Every country has different cultures and customs, and if you are visiting the land, why not follow it to the best of your ability? That's also a way of showing respect.

Jul 23, 2005 at 4:34 PM Post #23 of 31
woah thanks for the info!

i'm in Guilin, China scrambling to find decent business attire on the cheap. Shoes still evade me and i'm runnin outta time and fundage!

this business trip really fell into my lap, so now i'm trying to get business cards, gifts etc. All before the 1st!!!

craziness

headfi always has my answers for esoteric questions!

Jul 23, 2005 at 4:49 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
sure the culture is old and should be respected, but come on! is really showing a bit of your sole a "slap in the face"? give me a break!

That's not very polite anywhere.

Jul 23, 2005 at 5:16 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Business card exchange is an important part.

Greet with a short bow and handshake, eye contact is OK.

They will undoubtly hand you a business card. Take it and spend a short time looking at it, make a short bow, thanking them for the card, and then put it in your front shirt pocket or jacket pocket. (better yet, if you have a business card case, put it there.)
-Ed

I just wanted to add more aspects to the very important initial greeting and business card exchange.

-There will be someone to introduce the business people to you. Please listen carefully to the full introduction of each person. After the introduction, the business card exchange takes place. The person will offer you their business card, holding it with both hands to you. Take the card, studying it, briefly. Hold your business card with the name facing outward, by the corners, bow slightly, offering to them.

Good luck!

Jul 23, 2005 at 5:57 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrie
Sorry man, being Japanese, I kind of got a bit pissed for a second when you called Japanese etiquette "nonsense."

But well, summing it up, just because you think something is ridiculous doesn't mean it is. Every country has different cultures and customs, and if you are visiting the land, why not follow it to the best of your ability? That's also a way of showing respect.

i guess being american it seemed odd to me that our customs or lack thereof would be so offensive. chalk it up to defensiveness.

when i was in rome a couple of years ago i tried very hard to use italian and make sure i greet shopkeepers when i entered and left as is the custom (in america we don't really do this). despite my arguments i really am fascinated by other customs, and do respect them. i retract the word "nonsense".

Jul 23, 2005 at 8:45 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng
woah thanks for the info!

i'm in Guilin, China scrambling to find decent business attire on the cheap. Shoes still evade me and i'm runnin outta time and fundage!

this business trip really fell into my lap, so now i'm trying to get business cards, gifts etc. All before the 1st!!!

craziness

headfi always has my answers for esoteric questions!

Good luck on shopping in Guilin! Could you swing a short trip through Shanghai or something? You should be able to at least get outfitted to decent standard....

Jul 25, 2005 at 8:59 AM Post #28 of 31
ok, so in Guilin I got a decent polo top (no logo or anything on it, but it is not terrible looking), khaki slacks of good cut (thank god my girlfriend is a costume design student and could pick out good quality), brown shoes of unassuming business casual and a belt for $US 10

i'm in Hong Kong now trying to replace my camera (pentax optio s5i stolen in Zhejiejie
frown.gif
) and trying to get a Japan Rail Pass!

then tomorrow it's off to find some Japanese cds...
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif

summer is fun...
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2005 at 3:15 PM Post #29 of 31
Dont write on their business cards(meishi), take care of it with great care.

If you give a business card dont take it from your back pocket.

Get on time.

A yes does not mean that they agree but that they understood what you said.

Silence is a negotiation tactic.

If you are speaking in English, avoid using didn't, couldn't- do try to use did not, could not, ect instead.

Gift giving is a good thing for the first meeting. Don't give something cheap and giftwrapping is important. Don't open a gift when you get it, unless they ask you.

Don't hurry with your saying of good bye.

Never use San for yourself, don't forget to use it for others.

Do dress well. (Smartly)

And do be patient....

I am sure there are more. There are many books on this, "Doing Business with the Japanese" has some good tips.

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:55 AM Post #30 of 31
thanks for the tips!

um, now another question about japan.

to get the Rail Pass or not to get the Rail pass. i can get one here in hongkong, but i don't know if it's worth the money.

we've finalized (somewhat anyways) our plan and intend to be in Toyohashi on the 5th, and then maybe leave on the 6th or 7th depending on what works best for you.
I can't decide whether or not to get a rail pass because the prices come out to about the same, seeing as how we're hopping from town to town and it's not too bad pricewise. From Tokyo to Yokohama is $10-20, from Yokohama to Chigasaki is $30, from Chigasaki to Toyohashi is $60, from Toyohashi to Nara is $50. This doesn't really save us any money to spend $250 (7 day pass) for a rail pass.
I got those prices from Hyperdia (http://grace.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperd01.cgi) so I think they're relatively accurate.
What do you guys think is best?

cheers and thank ya'll for everything!

adrian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back