Ultrastone Vs Bayerdynamic
Mar 21, 2013 at 4:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ashman

New Head-Fier
I have looked up many headphones on Ultrastone and Bayerdynamic and i mean all of the PRO and HFI series in Ultrastone and DT ones by Bayerdynamic. First of all, i am ameteur when it comes to headphones. i have only had a Grado SR60 and a Sennheiser 280  My Music collections include

Bands Like :
Linkin Park (A Hardcore fan of them!)
Maroon 5
Beatles
Blink - 182
The Script
Slipknot

Male Artists :
Ed Sheeran
Eminem
B.o.B
Owl City

Female Artists :
Avril
Jordin Sparks
Katy Perry
Taylor Swift

So i figured you would've got a gist the taste of my music. I have few questions not for buying new cans..because i just got a Bayers COP..which i like its a little too bassy even with the bass set to minimum. I am not telling i dont like that much bass though.

So here are my questions :

1. Which of the Bayerdynamic or Ultrastone headphones are better in aspects of sound quality over the spectrum, comfort, Closed cans ofc. (3hrs use at one stretch,office use)
2. What is the difference in the many HFI and Pro Models compared to the other in the same category?
3. What is the difference between the the HFI and Pro Series?

The questions maybe stupid, but i am a newbie in this aspect.

Thanks for the help.

Mar 21, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #2 of 13
Ultrasone's main line is more bass-heavy than Beyerdynamic's main line. Beyerdynamic is known for a treble spike, but the Ultrasones can have some pretty aggressive treble as well. The Beyers are more comfortable and have a build that's a little more durable.

Mar 21, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:
Ultrasone's main line is more bass-heavy than Beyerdynamic's main line. Beyerdynamic is known for a treble spike, but the Ultrasones can have some pretty aggressive treble as well. The Beyers are more comfortable and have a build that's a little more durable.

Which bayers do you think is best for my music tastes? DT 770s? I dont have an amp now but plan of buying Fiio amp soon. i use it with my laptop and maybe iPhone.

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
Im just going to say this, its "Beyers". thanks.

Very helpful....

To answer a few of the OP's questions:

Looking at your music preferences, and your comments on the COP having too much bass, you might want to go with the most neutral headphone of all the bunch, which is the DT 880. It is semi-open, and is the most neutral and natural of all the Beyerdynamic line and Ultrasone. I've never been impressed with Ultrasone until you hit their heavy hitters (i.e Sig Pros, Sig DJs, Ed. 8) but you will still get that prominent bass in all those cans. These two companies are well regarded have their own following, but comfortwise, Beyerdynamic is world renown. The DT990 is still one of the most comfortable cans I have ever worn.

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #6 of 13
Yes, the 880's sound like they'd be the best for you. I've heard that the 32 Ohm version is not very good, so go for the 250 or 600 Ohm ones. The headphones don't have to be closed, do they?

Mar 21, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
Yes, the 880's sound like they'd be the best for you. I've heard that the 32 Ohm version is not very good, so go for the 250 or 600 Ohm ones. The headphones don't have to be closed, do they?

Thanks. well i prefer them close because i use it in my office, but as long as it doesnt leak too much sound its fine. How are these compared to the 770s which i considered first because it is closed. Do these isolate well? around 20db?
Quote:

Very helpful....

To answer a few of the OP's questions:

Looking at your music preferences, and your comments on the COP having too much bass, you might want to go with the most neutral headphone of all the bunch, which is the DT 880. It is semi-open, and is the most neutral and natural of all the Beyerdynamic line and Ultrasone. I've never been impressed with Ultrasone until you hit their heavy hitters (i.e Sig Pros, Sig DJs, Ed. 8) but you will still get that prominent bass in all those cans. These two companies are well regarded have their own following, but comfortwise, Beyerdynamic is world renown. The DT990 is still one of the most comfortable cans I have ever worn.

Thanks for your detailed advice. i guess its the same questions to you as well, how are these compared to the 770s considering they are closed?

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Thanks. well i prefer them close because i use it in my office, but as long as it doesnt leak too much sound its fine. How are these compared to the 770s which i considered first because it is closed. Do these isolate well? around 20db?

Although the DT 880 are semi-open, they still leak quite a bit of sound unfortunately. If you need high noise isolation and limited leakage you might want to look elsewhere than both Ultrasone and Beyerdynamic. The DT770 do isolate, but not extremely well. If you don't listen to your music at very high volumes you might actually be fine with the DT 880, you will definitely be fine with the DT 770. One thing I should point out about the DT770 is that it will still have that boomy bass like the COP. It will be more refined and better textured, but it will still rumble quite a bit. The sound signature of the DT 770 is V shaped, much like the COP. To be honest, both of these manufacturers make V or U shaped sigs quite often. If you spend the real bucks for the Sig Pros or T5P those will be more neutral without the booming bass. If you are looking for good isolation/noise leakage, I would look at the Mrspeakers Mad Dogs. Just got these today, and I'm very impressed with their sound. Their noise isolation/leakage is also very good. Although you will need an amp for those. You can also look into the Sennheiser Momentum or AKG 550.

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
Although the DT 880 are semi-open, they still leak quite a bit of sound unfortunately. If you need high noise isolation and limited leakage you might want to look elsewhere than both Ultrasone and Beyerdynamic. The DT770 do isolate, but not extremely well. If you don't listen to your music at very high volumes you might actually be fine with the DT 880, you will definitely be fine with the DT 770. One thing I should point out about the DT770 is that it will still have that boomy bass like the COP. It will be more refined and better textured, but it will still rumble quite a bit. The sound signature of the DT 770 is V shaped, much like the COP. To be honest, both of these manufacturers make V or U shaped sigs quite often. If you spend the real bucks for the Sig Pros or T5P those will be more neutral without the booming bass. If you are looking for good isolation/noise leakage, I would look at the Mrspeakers Mad Dogs. Just got these today, and I'm very impressed with their sound. Their noise isolation/leakage is also very good. Although you will need an amp for those. You can also look into the Sennheiser Momentum or AKG 550.

Thanks, i will look into those choices. Does DT 770 make an amp as a must have thing? About Signature Pros and T5P...lol thank you, i cant afford to spend so much on headphones. i think DT880 maybe good for me even though its semi open, i just want it to isolate noise from a loud and noisy room not everything around me. I still need to be hear slightly atleast when i am called for and i dont answer, that would be bad. Which amp do you think would be good for these headphones in case i get one. i am planning on buying one if i feel i need one after testing my headphones. and how about comfort?

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #10 of 13
Just to confuse you even more...

I have had a set of Signature DJ's here with since yesterday and the treble is much smoother than some of their lower end offerings. They are nothing like the Pro 900s for instance, which I also used to own. The mids and highs are fantastic and in fact, they are giving my HE500s a run for their money in that regard. Sound isolation is very good on these too. They are capable of crazy volume levels without distorting or making your ears bleed. 

Still, these are DJ cans, so if you aren't fan of big punchy Bass, then the Signature Pro might be a better choice within the Ultrasone line. The Pros have a 40mm driver compared to the 50mm driver on the DJ's. I also owned some DT770s for a while and those would have less Bass comparatively (quality and quantity) with more laid back mids and highs. For my tastes I think the Signature DJ's have it right. I don't use any EQ with them at all. The tonal balance by my standards is about perfect right out of the box. The DT770s are very nice too, but they are a level down from the DJs in my opinion. Of course the DJ's cost quite a bit more than the DT770s... so of course, that's always a factor too. They are both great headphones. 

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
Thanks, i will look into those choices. Does DT 770 make an amp as a must have thing? About Signature Pros and T5P...lol thank you, i cant afford to spend so much on headphones. i think DT880 maybe good for me even though its semi open, i just want it to isolate noise from a loud and noisy room not everything around me. I still need to be hear slightly atleast when i am called for and i dont answer, that would be bad. Which amp do you think would be good for these headphones in case i get one. i am planning on buying one if i feel i need one after testing my headphones. and how about comfort?

If you get the 250 ohm version, anything from a FiiO E11 to a high end portable amp will do fine. Depends on your budget and if you want the amp to be portable, transportable, or desktop. The comfort of the entire DT line of Beyerdynamic headphones are some of the most comfortable headphones I have ever tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back