Ultrasone Signature DJ
Dec 11, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #1,336 of 2,701
  Super delicate, I should say.
smile.gif

Plus self unscrewing cups (wasn't it you who lost cups on TH900 twice), flimsy, barely padded headband and twisty cable, all were sure signs for me that this thing won't last. I've owned D2K and D5K. They could have good drivers (if they fixed farty Fostex Denons bass) but enclosure is underdesigned.
T5P just look like phones worth their street price, plus I have T1 and like them (comfort, build and sound).
Signature DJ, I don't know, too plain and ... white? 
confused.gif
 Same design as HFI, which is rugged no doubt but wasn't the most comfortable for me, and cheap plastic enclosure is definitely not up to asking price. Sony MDR-7520 for instance at third the price just ooze "premium" all over.
I know, you can say that sound is all that matter, afraid when it comes to phones it's not that simple.

I've always had that "fear" of rocking out with the D5000s and having one cup fall! :p
And I agree actually on the design and looks of the Sig DJs. They DON'T look like they are worth $1k but they do feel like it :wink:. Regarding sound, it's all diminishing returns up to a certain point so who knows, besides the bass, maybe the MDR-7520s you'd prefer in all aspects over the Sig DJs.

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #1,337 of 2,701
Super delicate, I should say. :smile:
Plus self unscrewing cups (wasn't it you who lost cups on TH900 twice), flimsy, barely padded headband and twisty cable, all were sure signs for me that this thing won't last. I've owned D2K and D5K. They could have good drivers (if they fixed farty Fostex Denons bass) but enclosure is underdesigned.
T5P just look like phones worth their street price, plus I have T1 and like them (comfort, build and sound).
Signature DJ, I don't know, too plain and ... white? :confused:  Same design as HFI, which is rugged no doubt but wasn't the most comfortable for me, and cheap plastic enclosure is definitely not up to asking price. Sony MDR-7520 for instance at third the price just ooze "premium" all over.
I know, you can say that sound is all that matter, afraid when it comes to phones it's not that simple.

I have the hfi 580's as well, and i can tell a huge difference in plastic quality between the two.

I do agree that they should have used some metal though.

And yellowing plastic shouldnt be a problem on 1000$ headphones but hey, i love the colors.

Dec 25, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #1,338 of 2,701
For your killer dose of sub-bass, go to Break & Mikal - Status Low

basshead.gif

btw, merry xmas!

Dec 27, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #1,339 of 2,701
After spending months with the Ultrasone Signature DJ, I have come to the conclusion that they are so perfect for me that I almost feel as if they were custom designed, to the point that I can say I have lost interest in hearing other headphones, especially paired with the V-Moda Verza which I have found to be the ideal portable amp for them.  I thought I would list some highlights as to why they are perfect for me, understanding that others have different tastes and requirements.  However, if these check most of your boxes, you may want to try these out.

Appearance-  Personally, I really like the "tuxedo" black and white color scheme.  Pictures don't do them justice (see next comment).

Build quality- Holding the Sig DJ in your hands, you see and feel the build quality and details- genuine soft leather headband and earcups, mirrored glass etched cup covers.  Although mostly plastic, there are no apparent weak spots.  These headphones feel extremely solid.  Also, the cups fold flat for the high quality case and also fold inward for compact portable storage.

Portablility- I could count on one hand the number of summit-fi headphones that realistically have the potential for portable use.  The Sig DJ is uniquely suited for portable use as it is rugged, isolates reasonably well, has a snug fit and looks from a distance like modestly priced headphones to avoid unwanted attention from would-be snatch-and-grab "admirers".  They are also easy to drive directly from a portable device and include a quality smartphone cable in addition to the coiled DJ cable. As 95% of my listening is away from my desktop, portability is crucial for me.

Sound quality- Again, for my personal taste, these are as close to sonic perfection as I have heard in any headphone, closed or open.  I can truly enjoy these with every genre.  Compared to the Signature Pro, which is also one of my favorite headphones, I enjoyed their sound very much but longed for more low end impact with certain genres.  The Sig DJ gives me the extended, airy, sibilance-free highs and transparent, lifelike, detailed mids of the Sig Pro with bass that hits when called upon in the recording.  Female vocals give me chills with the Sig DJ and make me feel as if I am in the studio with the artist.  What is remarkable is that these same headphones can transport me to a nightclub with pop and EDM.  Also, the combination of pop/dance beats with the accuracy of female vocals is sublime.  The soundstage is also exceptional, using Bob Marley as an example, I feel like I am in the middle of the recording studio and his band is placed all around me.

Based on my experience with Ultrasone, I understand why the perception of their headphones is a mixed bag.  Personally, I am not a fan of their US customer service or most of their headphones, but their Signature line and the Signature DJ in particular is something special.  It is certainly the most expensive headphone I ever purchased without first auditioning and that is really saying something for me since I am generally risk-averse, but the Signature DJ is one of the best purchases I have ever made and wanted to share my experience with them for anyone who is considering these.

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #1,342 of 2,701

Sound quality- Again, for my personal taste, these are as close to sonic perfection as I have heard in any headphone, closed or open.  I can truly enjoy these with every genre.  Compared to the Signature Pro, which is also one of my favorite headphones, I enjoyed their sound very much but longed for more low end impact with certain genres.  The Sig DJ gives me the extended, airy, sibilance-free highs and transparent, lifelike, detailed mids of the Sig Pro with bass that hits when called upon in the recording.  Female vocals give me chills with the Sig DJ and make me feel as if I am in the studio with the artist.  What is remarkable is that these same headphones can transport me to a nightclub with pop and EDM.  Also, the combination of pop/dance beats with the accuracy of female vocals is sublime.  The soundstage is also exceptional, using Bob Marley as an example, I feel like I am in the middle of the recording studio and his band is placed all around me.

Never tried Sig DJ but i could have written same words about my Sig pro. It's the unique headphone that makes me feel the music like my Sig pro. I really really like my HD800 a lot, especially for Classical music but my sig pro gives me a so immersive experience for most genre. If I should keep only one headphone, it would be my Signature  pro. 

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #1,343 of 2,701
After spending months with the Ultrasone Signature DJ, I have come to the conclusion that they are so perfect for me that I almost feel as if they were custom designed, to the point that I can say I have lost interest in hearing other headphones, especially paired with the V-Moda Verza which I have found to be the ideal portable amp for them.  I thought I would list some highlights as to why they are perfect for me, understanding that others have different tastes and requirements.  However, if these check most of your boxes, you may want to try these out.

Appearance-  Personally, I really like the "tuxedo" black and white color scheme.  Pictures don't do them justice (see next comment).

Build quality- Holding the Sig DJ in your hands, you see and feel the build quality and details- genuine soft leather headband and earcups, mirrored glass etched cup covers.  Although mostly plastic, there are no apparent weak spots.  These headphones feel extremely solid.  Also, the cups fold flat for the high quality case and also fold inward for compact portable storage.

Portablility- I could count on one hand the number of summit-fi headphones that realistically have the potential for portable use.  The Sig DJ is uniquely suited for portable use as it is rugged, isolates reasonably well, has a snug fit and looks from a distance like modestly priced headphones to avoid unwanted attention from would-be snatch-and-grab "admirers".  They are also easy to drive directly from a portable device and include a quality smartphone cable in addition to the coiled DJ cable. As 95% of my listening is away from my desktop, portability is crucial for me.

Based on my experience with Ultrasone, I understand why the perception of their headphones is a mixed bag.  Personally, I am not a fan of their US customer service or most of their headphones, but their Signature line and the Signature DJ in particular is something special.  It is certainly the most expensive headphone I ever purchased without first auditioning and that is really saying something for me since I am generally risk-averse, but the Signature DJ is one of the best purchases I have ever made and wanted to share my experience with them for anyone who is considering these.

+1 to everything. Read my mind.

Dec 31, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #1,344 of 2,701
Man, makes me want to buy a pair.  I have been wanting a high end closed back for some time now and am stuck between LCD-XC and the Sig Dj's.  The reviews for the pair of Ultrasones have been exceedingly better from what I can tell.

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #1,345 of 2,701
  Man, makes me want to buy a pair.  I have been wanting a high end closed back for some time now and am stuck between LCD-XC and the Sig Dj's.  The reviews for the pair of Ultrasones have been exceedingly better from what I can tell.

lol... well, you are on the ultrasone sig dj appreciation thread. and the standard for the XC are much higher...

you should throw in the TH900 & T5p into there. those are two other high-end closed headphones that are often recommended.

Dec 31, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #1,347 of 2,701
lol... well, you are on the ultrasone sig dj appreciation thread. and the standard for the XC are much higher...

you should throw in the TH900 & T5p into there. those are two other high-end closed headphones that are often recommended.

Th900 being "closed" from what i have heard they barely isolate

Dec 31, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #1,348 of 2,701
Happy New Year, guys!!! Lets us go on praise the Signature. .........

Jan 1, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #1,349 of 2,701
After reading Craigsters review, I suddenly knew what I wanyed to buy since years. Went to my favourite record store and got me Bob Marley Legend album. This got me jamming for 5 days straight. Thank you for that idea Craig! And yes the Sig DJ is an official Raggae CAN!!!!

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #1,350 of 2,701
After reading Craigsters review, I suddenly knew what I wanyed to buy since years. Went to my favourite record store and got me Bob Marley Legend album. This got me jamming for 5 days straight. Thank you for that idea Craig! And yes the Sig DJ is an official Raggae CAN!!!!

Glad to offer a good suggestion.  Here is one more- I jammed out to Led Zeppelin for about two hours the other night hearing details I never heard before.  Add classic rock to the Sig DJ's checklist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back