Ultrasone Signature DJ
Dec 9, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #1,306 of 2,701

Has anyone compared those to Sony MDR-7520 and Fostex TH600?

Did you get lost for a bit?!? LOL :wink:

LOL, nope, thinking of picking up a pair, was hoping for some input from you. 
smile.gif

Dec 9, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #1,307 of 2,701
True love, these headphones are truly amazing, my best headphone yet and they win by a mile, my HD 650's don't come anywhere close to these babies, the Sig DJ's have the clarity that I had previously only dreamed about. they're exciting, fun, incredibly detailed & accurate, I use them almost exclusively with the Sony PHA-1 & an iPod Classic. I will try and write a review sometime in the future but I thought I'd just give a thumbs up on this thread.

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #1,308 of 2,701
smile.gif

Hahaha Ok, I saw your post also on the 7520 thread.
I don't have either of those so I'm not sure I can offer an opinion, but again, it seems that the 7520s and the Yammies mt220s are very similar and against the Yamaha's the Sig DJs are just better at every front. Bigger and more energetic bass, wider soundstage, better imaging, highs are more controlled and warmer, mids are a tad recessed but very detailed and they provide what to me is a more "natural" sound. Yammies can sound a bit artificial due to the boosted treble on some genres and I think the Sony's might "suffer" from the same thing. Of course I say "suffer" because I'm pretty sure others would prefer a more "in your face" presentation with regards to treble.

I think Anakchan has tried the TH600s and there are a few older posts here with some other members and their inputs.Oregonian also tried the Sig DJs and he was part of a Fostex Tour. Although I don't think he had them at the same time, he might also provide some input.

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #1,309 of 2,701

smile.gif

I don't have either of those so I'm not sure I can offer an opinion, but again, it seems that the 7520s and the Yammies mt220s are very similar and against the Yamaha's the Sig DJs are just better at every front. Bigger and more energetic bass, wider soundstage, better imaging, highs are more controlled and warmer, mids are a tad recessed but very detailed and they provide what to me is a more "natural" sound. Yammies can sound a bit artificial due to the boosted treble on some genres and I think the Sony's might "suffer" from the same thing. Of course I say "suffer" because I'm pretty sure others would prefer a more "in your face" presentation with regards to treble.

I think Anakchan has tried the TH600s and there are a few older posts here with some other members and their inputs.Oregonian also tried the Sig DJs and he was part of a Fostex Tour. Although I don't think he had them at the same time, he might also provide some input.

Thanks, that's very helpful. I've also read Anakcan review of TH600, they sound great but as an ex owner of Denons, I'd probably hate the design and build of those. 
For the record, I've found 7520 treble quite mellow and tamed down, definitely not boosted, sorry, never heard Yammies .

Are DJ fully circumaural, surrounding average ears? I used to have HFI-650, almost identical design (by the look) and they were not the most comfortable phones in a long run.

Dec 10, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #1,311 of 2,701
  True love, these headphones are truly amazing, my best headphone yet and they win by a mile, my HD 650's don't come anywhere close to these babies, the Sig DJ's have the clarity that I had previously only dreamed about. they're exciting, fun, incredibly detailed & accurate, I use them almost exclusively with the Sony PHA-1 & an iPod Classic. I will try and write a review sometime in the future but I thought I'd just give a thumbs up on this thread.

beerchug.gif

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #1,312 of 2,701
  I commute to New York City so 90% of my listening must by necessity be portable. I have no fear ( well almost no fear ) wearing my Sig PROs or Sig DJs around because I think thieves are far more interested in grabbing Beats phones 'cause that's what all the hoodies want lol. When they see me playing with my DAC and amp it looks so cumbersome that they must think it's an 8 track player!

As far as Ultrasone and it's somewhat less than stellar rep on Head-Fi I have to say I understand. The Signature line seems to be quite unique in the brand. My first exposure was the ED8's a few years ago and though I must say I was impressed I thought the high end was a tad strident and sibilant. 2 years ago looking for a basshead portable I got a pair of the PRO900's and I must say I HATED them. A lot of bass quantity but flabby and diffuse and the highs were positively searing and no mids whatsoever !:frowning2:

This reminds me of when I first pulled my Sig Pro's out of my locker and a coworker said, " Why do you keep buying cheap headphones?, just get Beats instead." I also live in New York, and wearing them out and about is not really a concern.

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #1,313 of 2,701

smile.gif

I've also noticed that you have T5P, how do these compare, price is about the same?

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #1,314 of 2,701
Yup. Currently listening to the T5p's at work... and to tell you the truth, I don't like them that much... LOL

With this I mean, I WOULD HAVE NEVER EVER paid $1000+ for them.
FULLY prefer the Signature DJs over them, better bass response, impact, presence.
Comparable sound stage but imaging might go a bit in favor of the Beyer but I believe it's probably due to their highs... and speaking of highs, sometimes these Beyers SHINE!!! But most of the times I actually find them a bit strident up top! :frowning2:
Mids are actually quite good and forward which I enjoy. But overall, the Sig DJ I just prefer.
I guess these Beyers has its fans but I'm still on the fence...

SigDJ gets a sure recommendation from me if you enjoy bass, good imaging, detailed non-ear-fatiguing highs with enjoyable but a bit recessed mids with excellent isolation, no leakage and portable to boot.

In short summary, current headphone ranking (only based on sound performance/appreciation of the headphones I have at the moment):

Ultrasone Signature DJ = Denon D5000 with Lawton Mods > MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs > Shure SRH1540 > Perfect Sound D901 Dido > Beyer T5p (with Moon Audio Blue Dragon cable) > Yamaha HPH-MT220 = MrSpeakers Mad Dogs > Sennheiser Momentum (on-ear blue) > AIAIAI TMA-1 Young Guru Edition > Spider Moonlight Studio Headphones > Panasonic RP-HTF600-S > JVC HA-SZ2000

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #1,315 of 2,701

Ultrasone Signature DJ = Denon D5000 with Lawton Mods > MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs > Shure SRH1540 > Perfect Sound D901 Dido > Beyer T5p (with Moon Audio Blue Dragon cable) > Yamaha HPH-MT220 = MrSpeakers Mad Dogs > Sennheiser Momentum (on-ear blue) > AIAIAI TMA-1 Young Guru Edition > Spider Moonlight Studio Headphones > Panasonic RP-HTF600-S > JVC HA-SZ2000

You don't own sig pro anymore ? 
confused_face(1).gif

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #1,317 of 2,701
Dec 10, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #1,320 of 2,701
  Yup. Currently listening to the T5p's at work... and to tell you the truth, I don't like them that much... LOL

With this I mean, I WOULD HAVE NEVER EVER paid $1000+ for them.
FULLY prefer the Signature DJs over them, better bass response, impact, presence.
Comparable sound stage but imaging might go a bit in favor of the Beyer but I believe it's probably due to their highs... and speaking of highs, sometimes these Beyers SHINE!!! But most of the times I actually find them a bit strident up top! :frowning2:
Mids are actually quite good and forward which I enjoy. But overall, the Sig DJ I just prefer.
I guess these Beyers has its fans but I'm still on the fence...

SigDJ gets a sure recommendation from me if you enjoy bass, good imaging, detailed non-ear-fatiguing highs with enjoyable but a bit recessed mids with excellent isolation, no leakage and portable to boot.

In short summary, current headphone ranking (only based on sound performance/appreciation of the headphones I have at the moment):

Wow, that's a pretty strong endorsement. Basically they are your favorite closed. Should definitely try them out, is rmc audio special price the best deal around?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back