Ultrasone Signature DJ
Dec 10, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #1,321 of 2,701
  Wow, that's a pretty strong endorsement. Basically they are your favorite closed. Should definitely try them out, is rmc audio special price the best deal around?

They sure are! I just like that they can be "fun" but also provide enough detail and clarity for more laid back music such as Music/Game soundtracks and acoustic performances.

Not sure.
I remember I had to cancel my order with them long ago because Ultrasone wasn't sending them merchandise or something like that. You might want to email them first.

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #1,322 of 2,701

Ultrasone Signature DJ = Denon D5000 with Lawton Mods > MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs > Shure SRH1540 > Perfect Sound D901 Dido > Beyer T5p (with Moon Audio Blue Dragon cable) > Yamaha HPH-MT220 = MrSpeakers Mad Dogs > Sennheiser Momentum (on-ear blue) > AIAIAI TMA-1 Young Guru Edition > Spider Moonlight Studio Headphones > Panasonic RP-HTF600-S > JVC HA-SZ2000

I'm always going to regret not getting the Denon D5000 when they were $350 on amazon.

Having said that, Sig DJs prove themselves to be fantastic every day.

Listening to Heavy1 featuring. Iriann Joyce - The Light Upon My Road

gs1000.gif

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #1,323 of 2,701
  Wow, that's a pretty strong endorsement. Basically they are your favorite closed. Should definitely try them out, is rmc audio special price the best deal around?

mmm... i dunno if that's really that strong of an endorsement. I would expect $1000 pair of sig djs be naturally be better than the mid-range market options. the only contenders on his list in that luxury price range is the Denon D5000 (which is retired) and the Beyer 5TP.

the list of high-end $1000+ closed portable headphones is incredibly small so there aren't many competitors at that price range, and I would expect that huge diminishing returns in SQ jumping from the something like the $350 On-Ear Momentum or the $600 Alpha Dogs to the $1000 sig djs or the $1000 T5p.

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #1,324 of 2,701

mmm... i dunno if that's really that strong of an endorsement. I would expect $1000 pair of sig djs be naturally be better than the mid-range market options. the only contenders on his list in that luxury price range is the Denon D5000 (which is retired) and the Beyer 5TP.

the list of high-end $1000+ closed portable headphones is incredibly small so there aren't many competitors at that price range, and I would expect that huge diminishing returns in SQ jumping from the something like the $350 On-Ear Momentum or the $600 Alpha Dogs to the $1000 sig djs or the $1000 T5p.

Which quoted in your post phones do you own?

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #1,325 of 2,701

Actually, I don't think I had any of the headphones on his list, but I've owned a lot of other mid-range closed portable headphones including the AKG K550, Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear, V-Moda M100, UE 6000, and the Sony MDR-1R. I'm currently eagerly awaiting the arrival of a pair of HE400 on sale from black friday! :)

I just think it's a bit silly drawing any real conclusions from comparing a $1000 pair of luxury headphones favorable against much cheaper mid-range headphones. Obviously, the headphones that are double the price should sound better... the real question is how much does the SQ improve and whenever that upgrade in sound is worth the extra money.

I think the favorable comparison against the T5p is only useful info if the reviewer doesn't go into any more detail because the prices of the rest of the headphones on his list is so variable. I would be interested in hearing how the Ultrasone Sig DJ's compare to Fostex's TH6000/TH9000.

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #1,326 of 2,701
I would be interested in hearing how the Ultrasone Sig DJ's compare to Fostex's TH6000/TH9000.

I've done it side by side. The ultimate pairing to me would by the Sig DJ for portable and either Fostex for my at home pair. Wonderful headphones and honestly I prefer the Denon/Fostex sound signature and bass but portability goes to the DJ easily.

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #1,327 of 2,701
Actually, I don't think I had any of the headphones on his list, but I've owned a lot of other mid-range closed portable headphones including the AKG K550, Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear, V-Moda M100, UE 6000, and the Sony MDR-1R. I'm currently eagerly awaiting the arrival of a pair of HE400 on sale from black friday! :)

I just think it's a bit silly drawing any real conclusions from comparing a $1000 pair of luxury headphones favorable against much cheaper mid-range headphones. Obviously, the headphones that are double the price should sound better... the real question is how much does the SQ improve and whenever that upgrade in sound is worth the extra money.

I think the favorable comparison against the T5p is only useful info if the reviewer doesn't go into any more detail because the prices of the rest of the headphones on his list is so variable. I would be interested in hearing how the Ultrasone Sig DJ's compare to Fostex's TH6000/TH9000.

Its the th600/th900 and from what i have heard the th900 beats them in every way but isolation.

The th600 is rarely compared to the sig dj... NO idea why.

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #1,328 of 2,701

Probably none... I had to put the guy on my ignore list because he is like Scheme (recursive programming! LOL).
Just go to the posts from March of this year on this very same thread and on other "basshead" threads such as:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/653626/yamaha-hph-pro-500-review
http://www.head-fi.org/t/628488/yamaha-pro-headphones/270#post_9225294

Same thing again... and again... and again... meh!

tongue.gif

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #1,329 of 2,701
  Probably none... I had to put the guy on my ignore list because he is like Scheme (recursive programming! LOL).
Just go to the posts from March of this year on this very same thread and on other "basshead" threads such as:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/653626/yamaha-hph-pro-500-review
http://www.head-fi.org/t/628488/yamaha-pro-headphones/270#post_9225294

Same thing again... and again... and again... meh!

tongue.gif

@gelocks,

No offense & completely off topic, but the entire Yamaha Pro series has severely dropped in price within the past 6 months. The Pro 500 has dropped down to $300 (25% off release price), which is a much more reasonable price, and I have even seen them sub-300 within a few months of their release. That should give you a hint of their actual value. And yes, I've gotten a chance to demo them. I didn't think they did anything special that warranted the extra $100 compared to other great choices of closed portable headphones at the $300 price point.

Hate to say I toldja so, but those headphones were insanely marked up at release and totally not worth the original retail price of $400.

I was very clear in saying that was a personal opinion and I am sorry you got offended. I personally think it's cute how some hi-fi audiophilers get so caught up in the hype & passionate about their product, they forget about their wallet. Would be nice if we all had enough money to not worry about price point and value/sound quality.

rolleyes.gif

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #1,330 of 2,701

Actually, I don't think I had any of the headphones on his list, but I've owned a lot of other mid-range closed portable headphones including the AKG K550, Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear, V-Moda M100, UE 6000, and the Sony MDR-1R. I'm currently eagerly awaiting the arrival of a pair of HE400 on sale from black friday!
smily_headphones1.gif

Its the th600/th900 and from what i have heard the th900 beats them in every way but isolation.

The th600 is rarely compared to the sig dj... NO idea why.

AnakChan did some comparison here 
TH600 sound like a ticket if not the same old Denon design and build which I wasn't so happy about, primarily reason I got rid of D5K as felt that one day they just fall apart in my hands. 
That leaves T5P, but for whatever reason they do not get any serious love here.

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #1,331 of 2,701
  AnakChan did some comparison here 
TH600 sound like a ticket if not the same old Denon design and build which I wasn't so happy about, primarily reason I got rid of D5K as felt that one day they just fall apart in my hands. 
That leaves T5P, but for whatever reason they do not get any serious love here.

Build quality seems to be an issue with the Fostex.  In contrast, one can really appreciate the build quality of the Sig DJ in person with premium materials and a rugged, tight build with no weak spots.  They have held up perfectly for 6 months so far, but naturally I don't beat them up.  The only issue is some minor staining on the white cups, but I feel like I could throw them against a wall and there would be no functional or even cosmetic damage.

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #1,332 of 2,701
Build quality seems to be an issue with the Fostex.  In contrast, one can really appreciate the build quality of the Sig DJ in person with premium materials and a rugged, tight build with no weak spots.  They have held up perfectly for 6 months so far, but naturally I don't beat them up.  The only issue is some minor staining on the white cups, but I feel like I could throw them against a wall and there would be no functional or even cosmetic damage.

+1, these things are SOLID.

Whats the reason for wanting the t5p over the dj's?

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #1,333 of 2,701

Well, they're not an "issue" but they're more delicate. Just like how Porches probably can't handle crossing rivers as well as snorkled 4WDs.

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #1,334 of 2,701
+1, these things are SOLID.

Whats the reason for wanting the t5p over the dj's?

Not sure I can find a reason... maybe if you value a bit of better imaging and crisper highs...

Well, they're not an "issue" but they're more delicate. Just like how Porches probably can't handle crossing rivers as well as snorkled 4WDs.

Agreed. Which is why I never take my Denon headphones outside! LOL

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #1,335 of 2,701

Super delicate, I should say.
smile.gif

Plus self unscrewing cups (wasn't it you who lost cups on TH900 twice), flimsy, barely padded headband and twisty cable, all were sure signs for me that this thing won't last. I've owned D2K and D5K. They could have good drivers (if they fixed farty Fostex Denons bass) but enclosure is underdesigned.
T5P just look like phones worth their street price, plus I have T1 and like them (comfort, build and sound).
Signature DJ, I don't know, too plain and ... white? 
confused.gif
 Same design as HFI, which is rugged no doubt but wasn't the most comfortable for me, and cheap plastic enclosure is definitely not up to asking price. Sony MDR-7520 for instance at third the price just ooze "premium" all over.
I know, you can say that sound is all that matter, afraid when it comes to phones it's not that simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back