Ultrasone Signature DJ
Dec 7, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #1,291 of 2,701
+1, Ultrasone has some happy customers
biggrin.gif

Whenever i get a migraine i have enjoyed listening to soothing music from my hfi 580's.

I haven't had a migraine with my dj's in hand yet, but I know when i do i will be able to cope pretty dang well.

I feel like the Sig DJ is almost a best kept secret since many audiophiles may be averse to even trying them because of the DJ moniker or are prejudging Ultrasone's sound signature which is really a shame because many are missing out regarding how special these are.  On the Alpha Dog thread, nearly all of the comparisons are against summit-fi open headphones, not the closed Signature line which still surprises me.

Dec 7, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #1,292 of 2,701
  I feel like the Sig DJ is almost a best kept secret since many audiophiles may be averse to even trying them because of the DJ moniker or are prejudging Ultrasone's sound signature which is really a shame because many are missing out regarding how special these are.  On the Alpha Dog thread, nearly all of the comparisons are against summit-fi open headphones, not the closed Signature line which still surprises me.

maybe it's the price. There aren't very many closed portable headphones running at $1000. When someone is throwing down a g for headphones, they are probably looking at open home-use headphones. The only other "closed" headphones I am familiar with in this high-end price range is the Fostex TH900

Dec 7, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #1,294 of 2,701
And from what i have heard those leak a ton...

True (although "a ton" is somewhat of a gross exaggeration). One thing to note that it's the leakiness of the TH-900 that gives it one of its strengths - namely soundstage & the other is bass control. If the TH-900 was isolating and sealed then these two factors would be greatly affected negatively.

Dec 7, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #1,295 of 2,701
True (although "a ton" is somewhat of a gross exaggeration). One thing to note that it's the leakiness of the TH-900 that gives it one of its strengths - namely soundstage & the other is bass control. If the TH-900 was isolating and sealed then these two factors would be greatly affected negatively.

And i agree on that part.
Which is what leaves the signature dj, in my opinion, the best closed and isolating headphone you can get.

Hence, the best portable ^.^

The dj or signature pro, anyways.

Subjectiveness.

Dec 7, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #1,296 of 2,701
And i agree on that part.
Which is what leaves the signature dj, in my opinion, the best closed and isolating headphone you can get.

Hence, the best portable ^.^

The dj or signature pro, anyways.

Subjectiveness.

lol, yea that is why I put "closed" in quotes for the TH900. The TH900 sound like a pair of open headphones and leak sound. A pair of closed headphones w/ good isolation inherently sacrifices some sonic features of open headphones such as a immersive sound-stage, and it seems to me that basically all super-high-end $1000+ "end-game" headphones are open.

The truth is that currently there isn't really a market segment for uber-high-end portable & closed headphones at the $1000 price point.

Walking around w/ $1000 around your neck seems pretty dangerous and headphones are really easy to lose, get stolen, or break when on the go. For that $1000, you can buy a solid closed portable pair of headphones at $300 (ex: M100) that you don't mind beating up a bit and a high-end open pair of headphones for $700 (ex: HE-500). I personally think that would be a better use of your money...

Of course, audiophiles are often willing to spend extra money for a very specific sound signature even if there are good alternatives at better prices hahaha

Dec 7, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #1,297 of 2,701
lol, yea that is why I put "closed" in quotes for the TH900. The TH900 sound like a pair of open headphones and leak sound. A pair of closed headphones w/ good isolation inherently sacrifices some sonic features of open headphones such as a immersive sound-stage, and it seems to me that basically all super-high-end $1000+ "end-game" headphones are open.

The truth is that currently there isn't really a market segment for uber-high-end portable & closed headphones at the $1000 price point.

Walking around w/ $1000 around your neck seems pretty dangerous and headphones are really easy to lose, get stolen, or break when on the go. For that $1000, you can buy a solid closed portable pair of headphones at $300 (ex: M100) that you don't mind beating up a bit and a high-end open pair of headphones for $700 (ex: HE-500). I personally think that would be a better use of your money...

Of course, audiophiles are often willing to spend extra money for a very specific sound signature even if there are good alternatives at better prices hahaha

As i live in a house with 5 other children as well as one of them having downs, isolation is extremely important to me. Having an open headphone would make me have to wait till 10pm to have a listening session, and when i wanna listen to music i wanna listen now! Haha but i get what you are saying.

Plus closed or "closed" provides some bass impact that open headphones simply can't offer.

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #1,298 of 2,701
I commute to New York City so 90% of my listening must by necessity be portable. I have no fear ( well almost no fear ) wearing my Sig PROs or Sig DJs around because I think thieves are far more interested in grabbing Beats phones 'cause that's what all the hoodies want lol. When they see me playing with my DAC and amp it looks so cumbersome that they must think it's an 8 track player!

As far as Ultrasone and it's somewhat less than stellar rep on Head-Fi I have to say I understand. The Signature line seems to be quite unique in the brand. My first exposure was the ED8's a few years ago and though I must say I was impressed I thought the high end was a tad strident and sibilant. 2 years ago looking for a basshead portable I got a pair of the PRO900's and I must say I HATED them. A lot of bass quantity but flabby and diffuse and the highs were positively searing and no mids whatsoever !:frowning2:

Dec 8, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #1,299 of 2,701
I commute to New York City so 90% of my listening must by necessity be portable. I have no fear ( well almost no fear ) wearing my Sig PROs or Sig DJs around because I think thieves are far more interested in grabbing Beats phones 'cause that's what all the hoodies want lol. When they see me playing with my DAC and amp it looks so cumbersome that they must think it's an 8 track player!

As far as Ultrasone and it's somewhat less than stellar rep on Head-Fi I have to say I understand. The Signature line seems to be quite unique in the brand. My first exposure was the ED8's a few years ago and though I must say I was impressed I thought the high end was a tad strident and sibilant. 2 years ago looking for a basshead portable I got a pair of the PRO900's and I must say I HATED them. A lot of bass quantity but flabby and diffuse and the highs were positively searing and no mids whatsoever !:frowning2:

I wasn't even interested in the edition series.

I agree on the beats part haha. I remember reading an article bout a week ago that talked about some guy killing another for his beats. He didnt even take em.

Dont know why so many people here on headfi prefer the colors of the pro's compared to the dj's.

I LOVE the white on these. If they yellow thats nothin i cant fix.

Dec 8, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #1,300 of 2,701
I wasn't even interested in the edition series.

I agree on the beats part haha. I remember reading an article bout a week ago that talked about some guy killing another for his beats. He didnt even take em.

Dont know why so many people here on headfi prefer the colors of the pro's compared to the dj's.

I LOVE the white on these. If they yellow thats nothin i cant fix.

I have no problem with the white either but wish I could find something effective to clean them. I smoke cigars unfortunately and they're more "browned" now than yellowed. I've tried vinegar, alcohol, some professional plastic cleaner, etc all with little result:frowning2:

Dec 8, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #1,301 of 2,701

I hear you and here are some great advantages related to the Sig DJ based on your lifestyle and listening preferences:

They look like an inexpensive pair of headphones.
I also thought the ED8 was a bit too bright.
I also have a strong dislike for the PRO 900, paricularly the grating treble.
I love the Sig DJ.

Dec 8, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #1,302 of 2,701
As i live in a house with 5 other children as well as one of them having downs, isolation is extremely important to me. Having an open headphone would make me have to wait till 10pm to have a listening session, and when i wanna listen to music i wanna listen now! Haha but i get what you are saying.

Plus closed or "closed" provides some bass impact that open headphones simply can't offer.

My son was listening to Eminem quite loud on my DJ's (even louder than I would listen) and I could barely hear them from 3 feet away.

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #1,303 of 2,701
My son was listening to Eminem quite loud on my DJ's (even louder than I would listen) and I could barely hear them from 3 feet away.

My brother in law turned my iphone up to 100% and then turn my e11 up to 6.

When he took the headphones off they might as well have been speakers. Before he took em off i could make out the words easily from about 4 feet away, past that point i really had to focus to understand the lyrics.

Good god i felt like he was gonna break em playing them that loud!!

Dec 9, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #1,305 of 2,701

Users who are viewing this thread

Back