Ultrasone Signature DJ
Nov 8, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #2,596 of 2,701
I definitely reccomend you try the DXP as well. Compared side by side with the Djs, they sound more open and even imo.

Do you know why you've sent back the Djs so quickly the first time? :) I will probably not keep the Djs since the DXPs mids are damn beautiful, less "recessed" as on the Djs, but its preference which suits the listener as well.

If you get the chance, I would advice you to get both and do a side by side comparison! As soon as I do that, the DXPs shine even more. The difference between them becomes immediately noticeable when I listen to Rock for example, snares just sound more realistic with more sparkle, where as the Djs seem to sound more relaxed/warm in that area. When you listen to the Djs and swap to the DXPs you will also notice an improvement in clarity to female vocals especially. To me they just sound more natural and involving, but, the Djs have more bass so again, it really boils down to preference, but dare I say, I think the bass on the DXPs sounds a tad more refined. :)

But! I can't stress this enough.. Both are amazing and on their own! It's really a preference thing and if I could, I would keep both. :D

When i first bought them in early 2017, i was expecting this phenomenal, impactful bass and it didn't deliver. The mids also seemed recessed and i wasn't impressed :frowning2:

Nov 9, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #2,597 of 2,701
Ok, i got them today. Wow! They sound totally different from when i first heard them. I'm actually wondering whether i had the headphone cable plugged in all the way in the headphone when i first listened to them lol They are spectacular. Bass is tight and impactful, the mids are definitely not as recessed as i thought they were before (female vocals sound fantastic), and the treble is pretty smooth. The soundstage is also really good for a closed back. They do sound better amped out, but they're not too bad from an unamped source. They're not as good as my TH900's, but they are pretty close. They're also a big upgrade to the M100s that i so fondly remember.

Now i'm looking for a portable amp again lol I miss my chord mojo, but i'm not sure when it's successor will come out. In the meantime, i'll see if i can get my hands on a Headstage arrow 6TX or a GO go2pro.

Nov 9, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #2,598 of 2,701
Ok, i got them today. Wow! They sound totally different from when i first heard them. I'm actually wondering whether i had the headphone cable plugged in all the way in the headphone when i first listened to them lol They are spectacular. Bass is tight and impactful, the mids are definitely not as recessed as i thought they were before (female vocals sound fantastic), and the treble is pretty smooth. The soundstage is also really good for a closed back. They do sound better amped out, but they're not too bad from an unamped source. They're not as good as my TH900's, but they are pretty close. They're also a big upgrade to the M100s that i so fondly remember.

Now i'm looking for a portable amp again lol I miss my chord mojo, but i'm not sure when it's successor will come out. In the meantime, i'll see if i can get my hands on a Headstage arrow 6TX or a GO go2pro.

People been saying that the HeadStage Arrow is quite amazing, but I haven't heard it personally (yet)

FiiO Q5 is also interesting to look at, I think (?)

Nov 9, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #2,599 of 2,701

Glad to hear you are happy with them! When you described them as bass light I was really surprised, as these have such a big and bold bass area. :) also, the soft leather makes them really comfortable.

Nov 14, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #2,600 of 2,701
I really thought I would keep the DXP instead if fhe Djs, but it’s gonna be the Djs. Why? God, the smooth treble allows me to just crank them up at times to really feel the music. Plus, comfort is great.. the leather on the pads is just so soft, I just like to touch and rub it softly.. In the end I might really be a bit treble sensitive, so these are perfect, and while the white may ger dirty with time, I think they might be really easy to clean with the right stuff and frankly, the white just looks nice. The glass plate is not really necessary, but it adds a nice touch, maybe even avoids some resonance due to the extra weight? Oh and on top of all that they also have such a nice cable.. They just rock. More than really really happy with them! :) :) :) Also pretty unbelievable that there is seemingly no other closed headphone which checks so many boxes, and these are available since 2013!

Both the DXP and Djs are just amazing headphones, bless S logic so much man. As mentioned before, I would keep both, but that would be a sum of over 1k euros haha.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #2,601 of 2,701
Everyone keeps saying DJ's are so smooth, am I that sensitive to treble? :s I had issues with highs being too loud so it stopped me from turning up the volume to get decent volume/body from the midrange.

Nov 14, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #2,603 of 2,701
I'm the same, the DJ's highs do not sound smooth to me at all. I can't listen to songs with female vocals :\

Really interesting. Maybe I am really used to treble heavy headphones, but the highs and female vocals sound crisp but smooth. But, and that is interesting, my new second pair (the other once were b stock used) sounds definitely brighter, since the earpads are stiffer, so the driver is further away from the ear, which does in fact increase treble response. You can proof this by pressing them closer to the ear, it seems to smooth the highs, so maybe your units are new? :) i am sure that with a bit of time the new ones will be as smooth as the b stock model.

Nov 14, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #2,604 of 2,701
Everyone keeps saying DJ's are so smooth, am I that sensitive to treble? :s I had issues with highs being too loud so it stopped me from turning up the volume to get decent volume/body from the midrange.

You must be very sensitive as the Sig DJ is pretty darn smooth, I tend to recommend adding a few DB of Treble to them more often than not... :)

I'm the same, the DJ's highs do not sound smooth to me at all. I can't listen to songs with female vocals :\

Female vocals are not in the treble, they are in the upper midrange. This is a slightly different issue, maybe you feel their upper midrange is a bit forward, which can be for some ears, due to the S-Logic feature, but treble is where the cymbal crashes are, those are quite smooth with Sig DJ.

Nov 17, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #2,605 of 2,701

I think you are referring to the midrange of the Sig DJ, which i personally do find is more forward then your average headphone (yet very clear), you do get used to it over time, but i find that amp/dac matching greatly helps, i used to run the Sig DJ with the Burson Virtuoso V2+ DAC/amp, 4-5months ago been using the Woo Audio WA6 amp with the Burson DAC and i find it matches much better with the Sig DJ, much smoother sound overall especially in the mids(for ref, tube used is Brimar 5r4gy STC rectifier with a pair of Kenrad 6sn7gt black glass).

Have anyone compared the Sig DJ with the Edition 8 by any chance?

Nov 18, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #2,606 of 2,701
I think you are referring to the midrange of the Sig DJ, which i personally do find is more forward then your average headphone (yet very clear), you do get used to it over time, but i find that amp/dac matching greatly helps, i used to run the Sig DJ with the Burson Virtuoso V2+ DAC/amp, 4-5months ago been using the Woo Audio WA6 amp with the Burson DAC and i find it matches much better with the Sig DJ, much smoother sound overall especially in the mids(for ref, tube used is Brimar 5r4gy STC rectifier with a pair of Kenrad 6sn7gt black glass).

Have anyone compared the Sig DJ with the Edition 8 by any chance?

Yes, I did compare them side by side :)

What do you need to know?

The short version:

Package is different, feels more premium but with less extras on Edition 8

Comfort is better on Sig DJ, Edition 8 has smaller earpads, and feels a bit tighter, although, to their right, Edition 8 feels lighter

The sound is quite different, while Sig DJ is a balanced headphone, with a pretty balanced overall sound, you could call them moderately V-shaped, though they are mostly balanced, Edition 8 is an aggressively V-shaped headphone, with much more bass and treble compared to Sig DJ. This means that the whole midrange, including the lower, mid and upper midrange are pulled back, when compared to Sig DJ, though the clarity of the bass and the overall sound is insanely good, the bass is quite tight and presive, and the treble has a really detailed and clear sparkle to it, without being grainy or harsh. On their natural tone, Edition 8 is more for me, but considering the comfort, build quality, and adding some EQ, I'm leaning more towards Sig DJ I think

Dec 10, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #2,607 of 2,701
Thanks to everyone who has provided input in this thread. After a lot of research I took the plunge and got the Signature DJ's about a month ago. The honeymoon is over, and I still think these headphones are incredible. In the next few months I'll pick up the Signature Pro's just for some variety, but the DJ's are my perfect sound. Well worth $1000 to me, and I'm happy that I didn't have to pay nearly that much since these headphones have been out for a few years.

Dec 11, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #2,608 of 2,701
Thanks to everyone who has provided input in this thread. After a lot of research I took the plunge and got the Signature DJ's about a month ago. The honeymoon is over, and I still think these headphones are incredible. In the next few months I'll pick up the Signature Pro's just for some variety, but the DJ's are my perfect sound. Well worth $1000 to me, and I'm happy that I didn't have to pay nearly that much since these headphones have been out for a few years.

Happy to hear you found happy with Sig Dj! :)

Mar 19, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #2,609 of 2,701
Reposting this from the DXP forum. I've now got the Sig DJ, PRO, and DXP all under one roof. I wanted to give some comparisons between them for anyone trying to decide which one to buy. The standard disclaimer is that everything below is just my opinion only. All comparisons were done using the same Amps (Fiio E17k or Cayin C5), DAC's (Fiio E17k or IFI nano BL), and headphone cable (Oyaide HPC-35HD598):

The DXP's sound are a middle ground between the Sig DJ's and PRO's in their sound approach, taking most of their strengths while completely eliminating their individual weaknesses. I was fully expecting that the DJ's and PRO's would be simply superior, but that is not the case. My favorite headphone is now a tie between the DJ's and DXP's, with the PRO's in a solid 3rd place. If I could only choose one to listen to all music genre's I would choose the DXP, but it would be a hard decision between the DXP and DJ as they are both fantastic.
  • Sound Stage: The Signature DJ offers the largest sound stage, while the PRO has the smallest. The DXP is in the middle. If I had to give them percentages I would say that DJ is 100%, DXP is 85%, and PRO is 65%. Despite the DJ's having the largest sound stage I find that in non-electronic music that the DXP's sound stage actually sounds more "correct" or natural. The DJ's sound stage is slightly over emphasized in non-electronic genres, so the slightly smaller sound stage of the DXP isn't a bad thing. Overall I would say that the DJ is best and the DXP is a very close second as both are excellent.The PRO has a compressed or cramped sound stage which is the PRO's one major weakness. (Winner = DJ, with DXP as a very close second)
  • Overall Tone: Both the DXP and DJ sound similar with a clear reproduction, but the DXP can have an initial feeling of the sound being muffled. When you switch back and forth between the DJ's and DXP's it becomes clear that the DXP is not truly muffled or obscured in any way, it's just the forward mids are rounding out the sound compared to the DJ, giving it more body. The PRO's are a bit darker than both the DXP and DJ, but are still crystal clear. (Winner = 3 way tie, all are great)
  • Bass: The DJ has both the best quantity and quality. In bass heavy music the DJ is simply the best, producing deep textured crystal clear bass.The DXP is a little less satisfying as the texture and quantity isn't up to the DJ's level, but it's still very satisfying with electronic music. The performance decrease is not significant; I'd say the DXP is at about 85% of what the DJ does in bass. Overall the DXP has the same bass quantity as the PRO, which is enough even for me, but with much more bass slam. The PRO still has great quantity and textures on it's own, but since it lacks big slam and sound stage to feel the impact, I'd say the pro is 75% of what the DJ is in this area. (WInner = DJ, with DXP as a close second).
  • Mids: The DJ has very thin sounding lower mids, where the DXP sounds full and forward. The PRO has the best mids of all, but they are only slightly more refined compared to the DXP while sharing the same overall tone. Overall if the PRO is 100%, I'd say that the DXP is 95%, and the DJ's are 60% in this area (Winner PRO's, with DXP as a very close second)
  • Highs: The DJ and DXP sound like they have an overall smoothed treble, with the DXP having a hint of boost at the tips of each treble note to make them "pop". The PRO has more treble all over which leads to some instruments sounding more correct, but you do get a bit of harshness at times. Overall I prefer the DXP approach of a smooth sound with accents, but it's all down to user preference here. (Winner = DXP, with DJ as a close second. PRO as third in my opinion only, as If you love treble then PRO may be best)
Looking at what each headphone does the best, and what they do the worst, here is a quick overview:
  • DJ excels at bass heavy music and sound stage. It's weakness is that it has thin sounding lower mids.The DXP has almost the same bass sound while fixing the lower mids by emphasizing them more.
  • PRO excels at vocal music and instrument textures. It's weakness is that it has a very small sound stage. The DXP has almost the same vocal and texture presence while having nearly the same great sound stage as the DJ.
  • DXP is the jack of all trades. It has heavy impactful bass and correct sounding vocals/instruments. It's weakness is that it isn't better than the DJ or PRO in their respective areas of emphasis, but it is the overall more complete/balanced headphone.

Mar 19, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #2,610 of 2,701
Reposting this from the DXP forum. I've now got the Sig DJ, PRO, and DXP all under one roof. I wanted to give some comparisons between them for anyone trying to decide which one to buy. The standard disclaimer is that everything below is just my opinion only. All comparisons were done using the same Amps (Fiio E17k or Cayin C5), DAC's (Fiio E17k or IFI nano BL), and headphone cable (Oyaide HPC-35HD598):

The DXP's sound are a middle ground between the Sig DJ's and PRO's in their sound approach, taking most of their strengths while completely eliminating their individual weaknesses. I was fully expecting that the DJ's and PRO's would be simply superior, but that is not the case. My favorite headphone is now a tie between the DJ's and DXP's, with the PRO's in a solid 3rd place. If I could only choose one to listen to all music genre's I would choose the DXP, but it would be a hard decision between the DXP and DJ as they are both fantastic.
  • Sound Stage: The Signature DJ offers the largest sound stage, while the PRO has the smallest. The DXP is in the middle. If I had to give them percentages I would say that DJ is 100%, DXP is 85%, and PRO is 65%. Despite the DJ's having the largest sound stage I find that in non-electronic music that the DXP's sound stage actually sounds more "correct" or natural. The DJ's sound stage is slightly over emphasized in non-electronic genres, so the slightly smaller sound stage of the DXP isn't a bad thing. Overall I would say that the DJ is best and the DXP is a very close second as both are excellent.The PRO has a compressed or cramped sound stage which is the PRO's one major weakness. (Winner = DJ, with DXP as a very close second)
  • Overall Tone: Both the DXP and DJ sound similar with a clear reproduction, but the DXP can have an initial feeling of the sound being muffled. When you switch back and forth between the DJ's and DXP's it becomes clear that the DXP is not truly muffled or obscured in any way, it's just the forward mids are rounding out the sound compared to the DJ, giving it more body. The PRO's are a bit darker than both the DXP and DJ, but are still crystal clear. (Winner = 3 way tie, all are great)
  • Bass: The DJ has both the best quantity and quality. In bass heavy music the DJ is simply the best, producing deep textured crystal clear bass.The DXP is a little less satisfying as the texture and quantity isn't up to the DJ's level, but it's still very satisfying with electronic music. The performance decrease is not significant; I'd say the DXP is at about 85% of what the DJ does in bass. Overall the DXP has the same bass quantity as the PRO, which is enough even for me, but with much more bass slam. The PRO still has great quantity and textures on it's own, but since it lacks big slam and sound stage to feel the impact, I'd say the pro is 75% of what the DJ is in this area. (WInner = DJ, with DXP as a close second).
  • Mids: The DJ has very thin sounding lower mids, where the DXP sounds full and forward. The PRO has the best mids of all, but they are only slightly more refined compared to the DXP while sharing the same overall tone. Overall if the PRO is 100%, I'd say that the DXP is 95%, and the DJ's are 60% in this area (Winner PRO's, with DXP as a very close second)
  • Highs: The DJ and DXP sound like they have an overall smoothed treble, with the DXP having a hint of boost at the tips of each treble note to make them "pop". The PRO has more treble all over which leads to some instruments sounding more correct, but you do get a bit of harshness at times. Overall I prefer the DXP approach of a smooth sound with accents, but it's all down to user preference here. (Winner = DXP, with DJ as a close second. PRO as third in my opinion only, as If you love treble then PRO may be best)
Looking at what each headphone does the best, and what they do the worst, here is a quick overview:
  • DJ excels at bass heavy music and sound stage. It's weakness is that it has thin sounding lower mids.The DXP has almost the same bass sound while fixing the lower mids by emphasizing them more.
  • PRO excels at vocal music and instrument textures. It's weakness is that it has a very small sound stage. The DXP has almost the same vocal and texture presence while having nearly the same great sound stage as the DJ.
  • DXP is the jack of all trades. It has heavy impactful bass and correct sounding vocals/instruments. It's weakness is that it isn't better than the DJ or PRO in their respective areas of emphasis, but it is the overall more complete/balanced headphone.

Awesome write-up! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back