Ultrasone series difference?
Sep 6, 2009 at 9:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Timothy.Wong

Head-Fier
Hi,

I was thinking of buying a pair of Ultrasone headphones when I suddenly thought: What's the difference of sq/comfort (all the different factors) between the Ultrasone HFI, Pro, and DJ series?

Anxiously awaiting replies!
atsmile.gif

Sep 6, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #2 of 17
Not sure how many have a pair from all three Ultrasone series, but this is Head-Fi so I'm sure you will find someone who can give you the comparison you seek.

Personally, I find the HFI-550 to be comfortable, but I accept that many wouldnt like the combination of high clamping force and sweaty ears. Similarly, I expect that many here dont like the emphasis on bass impact, but I love them. These cans really arent for everyone - I strongly urge you to audition a pair if at all possible.

Sep 6, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #3 of 17
thanks...so are they comfortable for long use?

Sep 6, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #4 of 17
Anyone who thinks Pro or HFI series have too much clamping force should adjust the middle headband section according to dexdexter's "missing manual". Sometimes you'll have to restretch it because the metal inside the middle headband will occasionally try to go back into its curved shaped. If adjusted properly I think full-sized Ultrasones can be worn for several hours a day without real discomfort. But the faux leather on most of the HFI series and the DJ1 might be less comfortable than the velour pads from what I've read, and probably have a tendency to get more sweaty than the velour pads on the HFI-2200, DJ1 Pro and Pro series. The HFI are colored to be fun while pro series are neutral, not sure about the DJ series but I'm guessing it will probably be more neutral than colored.

Sep 6, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 17
I have the Hfi-780s and i think they are pretty comfortable but it is true that the faux leather does get pretty sweaty but i easily wear them for 2-3 hour music sessions.

Sep 6, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #7 of 17
I just got a pair of HFI 550s. They are colored, but great for rock and metal. The bass is nice and deep. Clamping force is a little hard, I might try to adjust the headband a little and see what happens.

Sep 6, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Timothy.Wong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I was thinking of buying a pair of Ultrasone headphones when I suddenly thought: What's the difference of sq/comfort (all the different factors) between the Ultrasone HFI, Pro, and DJ series?

Anxiously awaiting replies!
atsmile.gif

IMO, each Ultrasone brings something different to the table in reference to SQ. I have not heard the DJ series, however, have a couple of the HFI and PRO series. The pleather/faux leather gets to be hotter then the velour, however, not a dealbreaker for me. I find them all very comfortable without the headband adjustment. But of course YMMV.

Always remember, Ultrasones are not for everyone. Some love em' some hate'em. Your musical tastes will determine if you are the former or latter. I just mention it because you will read many, many, many different opinions on them, so just wanted to give you a heads up...

Sep 6, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #9 of 17
in terms of SQ, the HFi's are more metallic, more suited to electronic based music. The Pro's are warmer. I've got the Proline 750's and the HFI680's. . I love ultrasone, however the top end often needs taming, and an amp of some sort is advisable.

Sep 7, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isnt the DJ1 basically the same as the HFI-550 ? If not, what is the major difference ?

Thats seems to be the case from what I've read. The DJ1 PRO are also basically the same as the PRO 550, and have identical specs according to the Ultrasone product catalog.

Sep 7, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #13 of 17
Ive own(ed) hfi550 & 700s and proline, 650 2500 , The hfis and the prolines 650s are about the same comfort wise the 2500s are the most comfortable because they have the softer non plastic pads, also for me the prolines are were less fatiguing which made them more comfortable, not that the hfis were fatiguing but the the prolines are some of the least fatiguing HPs Ive owned.

BTW if anyone is interested Im selling my proline 650s on the FS section

Users who are viewing this thread

Back