Ultrasone Pro 900's Arrived Today :D - First Impressions
Jul 6, 2011 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

lyons238

Head-Fier
yeahhh buddy my Ultrasone Pro 900's were on my door step when i got home from work today ;D. worked out perfect actually because i just shipped my HD280's out to someone on ebay today as well.

my first impressions are good for these babies. build quality is top notch like id expect. they are very comfortable to me so far. much better than my HD280's. so yeah as far as aesthetics im happy as a pig n crap.

now for sound. they sound pretty amazing to me. they're nice and crisp and clear. honestly i dont even know why people bitch about these saying they have too much bass and highs. to me they sound pretty damn accurate. i A B them with my monitors and they sound very very similar. i don't care what the graphs say. the bass does not feel to prominent IMO. now i can actually hear whats going on down in the low end compared to my HD280's. Plus these things arent even burnt in yet. i heard that the 900's benefit greatly from a good burn in. im sure everything will smooth out a tad.

oh and the sound stage is amazing. for a second i seriously thought the sound was coming out of my monitors then i realized that i still had the headphones on lol. puts my head like right in the center of the music. or maybe it puts the music right in the center of my head..idk???

so yeah as of now im diggin em big time. cant wait to hear them once they're all burnt in. speaking of burning in does anyone know how loud i should burn them in at and for how long? i have a focusrite saffire 6 interface and i have to turn the headphone volume up to about 7 to be as loud as i like to listen. not blasting loud, but not quiet either. also, should i just use a combination of music to burn em in? the sample CD it came with maybe? then again i always used to believe speakers dont really need to be burned in. and the sound will not audibly change much at all. so i may just use them as i please and forget "burning" them in.

ill update you guys in how i like em as time goes on.

and a lil eye candy for poops

Jul 6, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #3 of 72

Quote:
Happy day for you. I'm glad you like them. I was listening to the James Blake album with these last night. When the bass drops on "Limit To Your Love", all is right in the world. 

thanks man :) and yeah these things do sound amazing. i am not hearing any of the "shrill" top end that so many people complain about with the ultrasones. maybe that was more with the 750 and not the 900?

on a side note, it was pretty funny a second ago my mom walked in and saw me with the new headphones (im home for the summer from college btw). but she was like "what the hell do you do with all that crap??? its like command central in here." cuz i have all my production equipment. 2 tvs. ps3, etc etc...

edit: damn i just listened to Infected Mushrooms - Heavyweight    
basshead.gif

btw you have to listen to the full song cuz it gets dope toward the end. its long..

Jul 6, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #4 of 72
Nice impressions, glad to see you're enjoying them!

I got these last weekend and after trying to burn them in while I was at work today, the bass seemed to have disappeared completely... strange.

Jul 6, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 72
Quote:

honestly i dont even know why people bitch about these saying they have too much bass and highs.

Nah, bass and treble are the least of my worries. It's the complete lack of midrange. But then again, orthos have spoiled me...

I'm glad you are enjoying them though. Not my cup of tea, but I'm just one person. As long as YOU like them, that's all that really matters.

Jul 6, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 72

Quote:
Nice impressions, glad to see you're enjoying them!

I got these last weekend and after trying to burn them in while I was at work today, the bass seemed to have disappeared completely... strange.

The Pro 900 are quite odd on the whole burn in subject. I always found strange the sheer amount of hours people claim Ultrasones to need, but these headphones did convince me of palpable changes of the burn in of gear and/or brain. When burning in my pair, I had several different listening experiences, I've also had that thing of bass getting very light, but on the following day it came back stronger than it was before it started getting light, treble also had some odd spikes. At around 70 hours, they did seem to settle somewhat. There were still some minute changes after that, but at that point, the headphones were getting to a plateau, no doubt there.

Overall, they're definitely worth it IMO. Maybe not for everyone, but it's a set with a fun sound and a slightly bright signature, odd as it may sound. I should note that I'm no friend of harsh treble and such.

Jul 6, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #7 of 72
I am seriously thinking about the 900's.  I am wondering how they compare to the ATH M50.  There is a big price difference and I wonder if they are worth it.

Jul 6, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #8 of 72
there in a while different class than the ath-m50. the main difference will be wayyyy more details and a wayy better soundstage. also the m50's will probably sound a little muffled in comparison. imo they are worth it because if you got the ath-m50's you would probably end up buying a better pair a year later. i got mine for 330 on ebay. so thats about 170 more than the m50's. so you would end up spending more than 330 if you got then m50s then decided to upgrade in a year or so. better to buy something thats quality and have it last than buy something twice.

but dont expect to be blown away by any headphones. i know so many ppl that will put on a sick pair of headphones and be like "idk my skullcandys sound just as good" :X they just dont know what they're looking for lol.

and for the people saying they notice no bass one day and tons the next i think its either all in your head or your just hearing certain songs some with less bass some with more.

personally, im not going to spend nights burning in these headphones. they will burn in as they are on my head if they "burn in" at all. i think the whole burn in thing is a huge placebo effect. otherwise i believe ultrasone would recommend a burn in period. also, some people on gearslutz argue that the all headphones have already been tested and what not to sound the way they intended them to sound. their sound is not supposed to change over time. 

oh and i dont hear a complete lack of mids in these much. imo the m50's and denon d2000's have less mids than these. like i said my 900's sound pretty balanced compared to my monitors. id probably have to say they seem a bit less mid rangey than a pair of akg's but akg's are known for being mid range oriented...

Jul 6, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #9 of 72

Quote:
The Pro 900 are quite odd on the whole burn in subject. I always found strange the sheer amount of hours people claim Ultrasones to need, but these headphones did convince me of palpable changes of the burn in of gear and/or brain. When burning in my pair, I had several different listening experiences, I've also had that thing of bass getting very light, but on the following day it came back stronger than it was before it started getting light, treble also had some odd spikes. At around 70 hours, they did seem to settle somewhat. There were still some minute changes after that, but at that point, the headphones were getting to a plateau, no doubt there.

Overall, they're definitely worth it IMO. Maybe not for everyone, but it's a set with a fun sound and a slightly bright signature, odd as it may sound. I should note that I'm no friend of harsh treble and such.

I dunno I have about 75 hours of burn in already though :frowning2:

And I don't think it's in my head, I'm listening to the same songs that I listened to yesterday and I've also listened to genres specifically geared towards bass and it's just not there :\ shrug.

Jul 6, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #10 of 72

Quote:
I dunno I have about 75 hours of burn in already though :frowning2:

And I don't think it's in my head, I'm listening to the same songs that I listened to yesterday and I've also listened to genres specifically geared towards bass and it's just not there :\ shrug.

maybe you broke them? or you could just be getting used to the bass...i really dont know. but in my experience a speaker wont just change one day unless they're broken somehow which you should be able to hear in other ways. 

Jul 6, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #11 of 72
Quote:
the main difference will be wayyyy more details and a wayy better soundstage.

I find comparing detail in headphones one of the hardest things to do. The majority of headphones I've tried all display detail in a similar fashion, in which I can hear everything in the music regardless of what headphone it is. Many have a slight misunderstanding in high end headphones and the amount of detail they can put out. They think that the more they spend, the more of the music they are going to hear, but it just isn't so. I wasn't hearing any significant difference from my HE-500, HE-4, HD650, over stuff like the AD700, M50, SR80i, and even $20 JVC IEMs. I'm starting to find more expensive headphones give you a more refined presentation and present things in a more natural and clean way, rather than enabling the user with super hearing. So as far as detail goes, everyone will say the Pro 900 has more, and it's most likely true. But will an average listener hear that much of a difference? Not really. Trained Professional? Yeah, maybe, but if you are concentrating that hard on music, you are listening for the wrong reason.

Jul 6, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #12 of 72

Quote:

I find comparing detail in headphones one of the hardest things to do. The majority of headphones I've tried all display detail in a similar fashion, in which I can hear everything in the music regardless of what headphone it is. Many have a slight misunderstanding in high end headphones and the amount of detail they can put out. They think that the more they spend, the more of the music they are going to hear, but it just isn't so. I wasn't hearing any significant difference from my HE-500, HE-4, HD650, over stuff like the AD700, M50, SR80i, and even $20 JVC IEMs. I'm starting to find more expensive headphones give you a more refined presentation and present things in a more natural and clean way, rather than enabling the user with super hearing. So as far as detail goes, everyone will say the Pro 900 has more, and it's most likely true. But will an average listener hear that much of a difference? Not really. Trained Professional? Yeah, maybe, but if you are concentrating that hard on music, you are listening for the wrong reason.

i totally agree with this to an extent. thats why i said in that post to not expect to be blown away by any headphone compared to another. because after all its the music that will blow you away. and when i said more detail im talking more about producing. my ultrasones seem to bring out details in the mix that i never really heard in a few of my songs where other headphones/monitors just sort of gelled over it. imo these ultrasones will tell you when a song is produced badly, where other headphones may allow them to seem fine. so maybe if you dont produce music and you listen to badly produced music these aren't for you :D

Jul 6, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #13 of 72
I very much agree that these are revealing of the source. When listening to my other IEMs, I can slightly discern whether a track is poorly recorded but I am not usually bothered by it as much as when I listen to those songs on these.

Jul 6, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #15 of 72
Heya,

I burned my Pro 900's in for a little over 100 hours since I was working. From fresh-out-of-the-box to post-100-hours at moderate/high volume, there was a definite difference in the sound of the phone. At first it was very metallic, very sharp, and revealed details and was cold. It's really warmed up after 100 hours, though still a metallic sounding phone, but warmer than initial use. The highs have become quite tame, I listen at high volumes and they're amplified, and the highs don't pierce anymore. They're forward for sure, but they don't sparkle or pierce. The bass definitely loosened up. The bass goes very low, and is controlled, it doesn't kill off the rest of the frequency range. I noticed that at first listen, the bass is tremendous and it's all you can hear if you've never had a true basshead headphone on. I think the "bass gets lighter" is simply people becoming accustomed to hearing the incredible bass and becoming used to it. I switch to other headphones often, and after using my HD580's for a while, the bass is very noticeable when you go back to the Pro 900's compared to just using the Pro 900's for days on end. The bass doesn't go away. It's just a matter of perception. The bass however is so easy going and goes so low that sometimes you don't realize it's that low. These headphones don't rattle your head with shaking crazy bass. They can mind you. But they don't, they deliver bass in a manner that just fills your head and allows you to still hear everything else going on. It's a very high quality of bass, with a good quantity to satisfy the type of basshead that craves mind numbing bass. I noticed vocals were a lot better after 100 hours too (source was Ann DiFranco & the Crannberries). I played with an EQ and dropped the low frequencies and highs down a tad on the EQ and made a "W" shape on my EQ when I want to switch to vocals/mid-heavy music and don't have another headphone handy (like when I'm going portable, since my Pro 900's are my portables and electronica-home headphones). The phone is more than capable of doing beautiful mids and benefits from proper EQ'ing to flatten out the frequency response. You'd be surprised.

Pro 900's run out of anything without amplification fine.

Personally I like them better amp'd. The sound is just richer and more impactful to me.

The M50 and the Pro 900 should not even remotely be compared. The M50 compared to the Pro 900 is neutral. The M50 is not a basshead can. It's an entry level "all around" headphone that doesn't shine anywhere other than price-point for the quality of sound reproduction. The Pro 900 is more than twice the price, and the bass which is the point of the Pro 900 is so far beyond it that you cannot compare the two. Pro 900's are basshead phones and excellent for electronic music. M50's don't shine there (nor anywhere frankly). The Pro 900's however are not an ideal phone for acoustic/rock/classic--you should get a mid/high oriented open-air can for that.

Burn them in--they do change quite a bit (unlike my Beyers which didn't really do much different after a good burn in; Ultrasones truly do benefit burn-in).

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back