Ultrasone Pro 900...the best for me?
Jun 3, 2012 at 10:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

ultrasoneman65

New Head-Fier
I'm a basshead. So I'm looking for a good pair of headphones less than $700 that provides VERY tight and punchy bass that you can FEEL. Curently I'm looking at the ultrasone pro 900 since its one of the best for EDM...right? But is there a better ultrasone for bass...like the edition 9? And what about other types like the Denon AH D2000, 5000, or 7000? And also i'd like the headphones to do really well on a portable amp like the Fiio E11 or E17. And also this is my first thread here so if someone could explain...that would be nice.Thanks for your help

Jun 3, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #2 of 28
Quote:
I'm a basshead. So I'm looking for a good pair of headphones less than $700 that provides VERY tight and punchy bass that you can FEEL. Curently I'm looking at the ultrasone pro 900 since its one of the best for EDM...right? But is there a better ultrasone for bass...like the edition 9? And what about other types like the Denon AH D2000, 5000, or 7000? And also i'd like the headphones to do really well on a portable amp like the Fiio E11 or E17. And also this is my first thread here so if someone could explain...that would be nice.Thanks for your help

If you're looking for "tight" bass, I'd stay away from the PRO-900 and the Denons.  The best description that I could come up with for the 900's low end performance is that it displays a sort of "bass cloud."  That is to say that it's plentiful in quantity, but is often indistinct/dissipated and sounds more like it hangs over the rest of the tonal spectrum instead of staying in the basement where it belongs.  On the other hand, the Denons give a nice sub-bass rumble but are generally flabby and slow sounding in the bass department with some intermittent/subtle encroachment on the midrange in extreme circumstances.  I haven't heard the D5000, but I think it's safe to assume that it won't be a huge departure from the D2000 or D7000.

A question: what exactly is your budget?  You list $700 as your maximum but then go on to ask about the Edition 9.  Given I haven't paid much attention to it in quite a while, but does the Ed9 actually go for that cheap now?  If you're staying with Ultrasone, you may want to stretch your budget a bit and pick up a used Edition 8. (a few have been on the FS forum over the past few weeks for <$750)  Bass is both incredibly strong (only when beckoned... it doesn't "inject" bass into content where it isn't present) and among the most articulate I've heard.  I haven't auditioned them yet, but there are many happy Edition 8 owners that are now touting the Signature Pro as an upgrade as well. ($850 new at RMC Audio)  If you want a taste of the Ultrasone sound instead of going directly to the top of the food chain, I really can't recommend the HFI-580 enough as a budget can. (around $100 used)  To my ears, it's an upgrade over the PRO-900 in every way (especially bass articulation and it curbs the nasty, metallic treble) save for comfort and perhaps soundstage size.  I have zero experience with portable amplification in general, but all of the aforementioned 'sones will run sufficiently well directly out of your source and allow you to "scale up" your sound (not tremendously so with the HFI-580, mind you) when you decide to invest further into your audio chain.

Jun 3, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #3 of 28
dont know what that guys talkimg about. Listening to my 900s as i type this. description is bass is very accurate and detailed, however i can just barely "feel" it. you will most likely need some power if you want to reach a volume where you can feel it shaking, my fiio e7 out of my ipod lod doesnt get loud enough imo.

Jun 3, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #4 of 28
If you're looking for "tight" bass, I'd stay away from the PRO-900 and the Denons.  The best description that I could come up with for the 900's low end performance is that it displays a sort of "bass cloud."  That is to say that it's plentiful in quantity, but is often indistinct/dissipated and sounds more like it hangs over the rest of the tonal spectrum instead of staying in the basement where it belongs.  On the other hand, the Denons give a nice sub-bass rumble but are generally flabby and slow sounding in the bass department with some intermittent/subtle encroachment on the midrange in extreme circumstances.  I haven't heard the D5000, but I think it's safe to assume that it won't be a huge departure from the D2000 or D7000.

A question: what exactly is your budget?  You list $700 as your maximum but then go on to ask about the Edition 9.  Given I haven't paid much attention to it in quite a while, but does the Ed9 actually go for that cheap now?  If you're staying with Ultrasone, you may want to stretch your budget a bit and pick up a used Edition 8. (a few have been on the FS forum over the past few weeks for <$750)  Bass is both incredibly strong (only when beckoned... it doesn't "inject" bass into content where it isn't present) and among the most articulate I've heard.  I haven't auditioned them yet, but there are many happy Edition 8 owners that are now touting the Signature Pro as an upgrade as well. ($850 new at RMC Audio)  If you want a taste of the Ultrasone sound instead of going directly to the top of the food chain, I really can't recommend the HFI-580 enough as a budget can. (around $100 used)  To my ears, it's an upgrade over the PRO-900 in every way (especially bass articulation and it curbs the nasty, metallic treble) save for comfort and perhaps soundstage size.  I have zero experience with portable amplification in general, but all of the aforementioned 'sones will run sufficiently well directly out of your source and allow you to "scale up" your sound (not tremendously so with the HFI-580, mind you) when you decide to invest further into your audio chain.

So the Pro 900 doesn't offer a tight bass? Cuz everyone says these things are bass monsters and are made for EDM. But I'll look into it more. And about the budget, I guess I could open upto around $800,but I don't want to unless I really want to (The Edition 9 is used and my friend is selling it for $750) Thanks for the help.

Jun 3, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #6 of 28
dont know what that guys talkimg about. Listening to my 900s as i type this. description is bass is very accurate and detailed, however i can just barely "feel" it. you will most likely need some power if you want to reach a volume where you can feel it shaking, my fiio e7 out of my ipod lod doesnt get loud enough imo.

Can amps really power a headphones up? My friend says the bass sounds amazing with his Fiio E11, and it literally vibrates hie ears. Also is there still a lot of bass in EDM that can go a bit high (pitch wise). Here's a link to what I'm talking about:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fay-HRYTEw. Sorry if it's a bit off topic but I just want to clarify on the type of music I'm into.

Jun 3, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:
              So the Pro 900 doesn't offer a tight bass? Cuz everyone says these things are bass monsters and are made for EDM. But I'll look into it more. And about the budget, I guess I could open upto around $800,but I don't want to unless I really want to (The Edition 9 is used and my friend is selling it for $750) Thanks for the help.

"Bass monsters," yes.  Tight/articulate, no.  To my ears they were a definitive case of quantity over quality.  Genre lines make little sense to me so I disregard them all but completely, but if your preference is for simplistic song structuring paired with a repetitive, one-note bassline then they should perform well enough. 

Jun 3, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #9 of 28
 "Bass monsters," yes.  Tight/articulate, no.  To my ears they were a definitive case of quantity over quality.  Genre lines make little sense to me so I disregard them all but completely, but if your preference is for simplistic song structuring paired with a repetitive, one-note bassline then they should perform well enough. 

I'm getting a bit confused. Cuz most of the music I listen to is edm but not exactly with a low pitch. For example this kind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fay-HRYTEw. Would this sound good on a Pro 900? If it doesn't what cans would you recommend for this kind of music?

Jun 3, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #10 of 28

And what  amp do you use... if u use one?

Jun 4, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:
I'm getting a bit confused. Cuz most of the music I listen to is edm but not exactly with a low pitch. For example this kind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fay-HRYTEw. Would this sound good on a Pro 900? If it doesn't what cans would you recommend for this kind of music?

For something like that I don't think the bass would get overwhelming.  From the original post I assumed your listening preference was for something more bass focused.  My apologies.  Still, the emphasized, metallic treble could prove problematic with that type of content.  Personally, it's the top-end performance that is typically make or break for me in audio.  In terms of amplification, I believe I had a Headroom Portable Desktop, Meier Arietta, and Apogee Duet in the house at the time I owned the PRO-900. (never got into portables)

What I would recommend is tough to say considering my music preference seems to be pretty far off from yours. (no offense, it's just not my thing)  However, on a quick listen I maintain that the HFI-580's V-shape response may just be the ticket if you're looking for a fun sound. (although, the forward treble may cause fatigue at high volumes)  The Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro may also be a good choice for you as it shares a similar sound signature.  More bass and not as controlled as the 580 in the low frequencies, but with that type of content the way that it "injects" bass whereas the 580 stays truer to the content may be an added element of excitement.  Amplification, however, would be required with the 770.

Jun 4, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #13 of 28
For something like that I don't think the bass would get overwhelming.  From the original post I assumed your listening preference was for something more bass focused.  My apologies.  Still, the emphasized, metallic treble could prove problematic with that type of content.  Personally, it's the top-end performance that is typically make or break for me in audio.  In terms of amplification, I believe I had a Headroom Portable Desktop, Meier Arietta, and Apogee Duet in the house at the time I owned the PRO-900. (never got into portables)

What I would recommend is tough to say considering my music preference seems to be pretty far off from yours. (no offense, it's just not my thing)  However, on a quick listen I maintain that the HFI-580's V-shape response may just be the ticket if you're looking for a fun sound. (although, the forward treble may cause fatigue at high volumes)  The Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro may also be a good choice for you as it shares a similar sound signature.  More bass and not as controlled as the 580 in the low frequencies, but with that type of content the way that it "injects" bass whereas the 580 stays truer to the content may be an added element of excitement.  Amplification, however, would be required with the 770.

so I guess i'm not looking for bass. What cans would give off a tight and punchy sound(not necessarily bass) with edm...maybe something thats very energetic and something that I can feel? Do you think the Sig Pro or Editions would work like this? I tried the  hfi 580s...i guess the treble sounded really wierd... i didnt like it. And the 770 felt amazing but I thought that it was a bit too slow for my taste

Jun 4, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Listening to this song on the Pro 900 and it sounds pretty darned good. The bass is very good! 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back