Ultrasone Pro 900 Review
Feb 3, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:
srry for reviving this thread but after reading this I'm still left with a question.

Now that you've had these cans for a longer period of time (assuming you still have them) would you say that the lack of mid-range get's better over time?
I've heard that these cans have a long burn-in time.

I'm asking this because I was almost ready to pick up a pair to use for drum & bass but if the mids are really as bad as you say they are then I'd better look for a different pair of cans.

Hi! No problem, I still have em so I can answer that question :)
Now that some time has passed (and I am now used to them a lot more) I would say they improved in many categories. The highs are much less metallic and a lot less fatiguing (still fatiguing though), the bass is still phenomenal and nice.
The midrange is still recessed, perhaps slightly less... To clarify, "recessed" means that it is there, but in the background so harder to focus on.
I think for bass and drums, they are good, although the bass in general carry a lot slightly more punch than the drums.
IMO its a good bass-heavy can, everybody should have one. Great for gaming and very exciting for music.
Now, in the future you can easily get a more neutral HP, should you want to, like I did (the Hifiman HE-6)

A review of the HE-6 is coming soon, so stay tuned (essential comparisons with Pro 900 included) !

To answer your question, I think you should give them a go. They cover the things you need from them + they will be with you for a long time :) (read reliable and durable)
You didnt mention the price you are getting them at though. 550 bucks (full price) is still a bit too much for these IMO. 400 would be much more viable :)

Hope this helps!
Cheers!

Feb 3, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #17 of 33
Thanks for the reply 
biggrin.gif

Didn't think you're respond yourself 
ph34r.gif

Price I was looking at was around 360€ (that's about 500 USD but prices are never really the same across the pond)
The reason I was interested in the mids was because drum & bass is just a name for collection of many many sub-genres.
Most of the time when you mention dnb people will think "Pendulum" or "Netsky" or some junk like that :D

Reading up on these cans I was convinced that these would be brilliant for Neurofunk (here's some songs)
http://youtu.be/kcsf_nfMins?t=1m2s
http://youtu.be/Dtoud7g_924?t=1m17s

But my absolute favourite sub-genre would be Liquid Funk, especially when it's vocal heavy. (and some songs)
http://youtu.be/ikb6TSle6cw
http://youtu.be/JXo1cu493kI

Currently, My HD650 covers the liquid dnb quite well but was still interested in scrambling my brain on neurofunk.
I know that for liquid dnb the ultrasones will probably sound worse but I was just wondering if it would be acceptable at least since I'm planning to use them outdoors as well and can't be bothered taking 2 different pairs with me 
triportsad.gif

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #18 of 33
You don't understand this headphones. Its proffessional equipment, not everyday-listening hi-fi smiley toy. Frequency response made for mastering. It makes sibilances HUGE to remove or ballance it through mastering process. It makes the 20-200 hz HUGE to know what is going on low end. its like very very very aggresive listening on V-shaped EQ without harsh ,dist etc. No fo fun. its like to try to cut a cake with chainsaw and saying "stupid knife". Do you understand Ultrasone 900 pro now?

Mar 1, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #19 of 33
Quote:
You don't understand this headphones. Its proffessional equipment, not everyday-listening hi-fi smiley toy. Frequency response made for mastering. It makes sibilances HUGE to remove or ballance it through mastering process. It makes the 20-200 hz HUGE to know what is going on low end. its like very very very aggresive listening on V-shaped EQ without harsh ,dist etc. No fo fun. its like to try to cut a cake with chainsaw and saying "stupid knife". Do you understand Ultrasone 900 pro now?

Wouldn't you want to master on a headphone that actually shows you what the mix sounds like in a best case scenario? I don't know about you, but I don't need the bass or treble boosted to check a mix. What you need is a good pair of headphones with excellent detail and a flat frequency response. Try mixing on a Pro 900 and you'll have some VERY strange mixes. 

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Wouldn't you want to master on a headphone that actually shows you what the mix sounds like in a best case scenario? I don't know about you, but I don't need the bass or treble boosted to check a mix. What you need is a good pair of headphones with excellent detail and a flat frequency response. Try mixing on a Pro 900 and you'll have some VERY strange mixes. 

agree. you would want a flat frequency response when mixing/producing.

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

What is this guy talking about? I'm having a hard time understanding why he would register on the forums just to post.... that.

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #23 of 33
I see you can not do mixes, each of you writes a flat frequency but there is one thing that none of you have thought - the human ear does not have a flat sheet. If your SOUND is flat when listening to music 2-5kHz peak uh la la la :) don't talk about flat, I am pro, not forum user as you. Let study sound engeenering and you will able to maje good mixes. Everyone who think that flat is good is amateur. Selective monitors = yes, flat = no.

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #24 of 33
Quote:
I see you can not do mixes, each of you writes a flat frequency but there is one thing that none of you have thought - the human ear does not have a flat sheet. If your SOUND is flat when listening to music 2-5kHz peak uh la la la :) don't talk about flat, I am pro, not forum user as you. Let study sound engeenering and you will able to maje good mixes. Everyone who think that flat is good is amateur. Selective monitors = yes, flat = no.

(I know it's probably a troll, but I just had to)

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #28 of 33
Mar 13, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

you know, I am curious what you have to say. I have always heard flat/neutral is the best for mixing. my friend who does mixing says he does prefer treble-emphasis because you can tune a lot of things there that you won't be able to really hear if you have bassy headphones.

I can't possibly imagine a situation when you are making music that you would want extra bass, but if you can explain that to me, I would love to learn more. Perhaps if you are DJ-ing at a club the extra bass is helpful when monitoring, but for producing music, I would imagine you would want as neutral as possible so you can balance everything perfectly without coloration bias d/t a specific sound signature of a particular pair of headphones that most of your listener's will not be using.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back