Ultrasone Pro 900 - Pioneer HDJ 1000
Apr 1, 2011 at 1:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Kevins

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone:)
i am new here and i found yr forum pretty useful.
Yesterday i got my new Ultrasone Pro 900 after reading lots of good reviews about these headphones. I got them for studio use.
I am used to Pioneer HDJ 1000 as i am producing music with these headphones for 6 years almost and i really wanted to buy a more detailed headphone especially cause pioneers are more loud on the lows.
So i unpacked the ultrasone, put the cable on and start listening. wow...the sound was too bad to me. The kicks especially kicks on dance music sounded like broken... i put to listen 1 song that i really know how the kick sounds and what i listened wasnt awarm and plastic  kick but close to an uncombressed kick with bit of distortion. I read about burn-ins and mods ...
my big question is that when i push the earpads a bit on my head the sound is more clear, kicks are almost ok and more feeling of the songs.... but i think sth wrong is going on here... While my pioneer headphones sound just fine, nice bass and feeling of the songs the ultrasone sound like crap...
 anyone  who have used both headphones know and can explain me the difference from the 2 headphones? I mean does Ultrasone actually sound as i am saying especially with kicks and dance music or they sound better than Pioneer HDJ 1000 and the ones i bought are not ok?

Thanks

Apr 1, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #2 of 17
Sounds like something that can be fixed with burn in. You should always give me headphones some time.

Also, if you're using them for pure studio needs, I'd suggest something more flat like the Pro 750s. Both the HDJ 1000 and Pro 900 are gonna get you some bass that's not actually there, thus making your tracks possibly come out with much lower bass than you expected it to. I suppose if you've learned to compensate for the HDJ 1000, the Pro 900 would be okay though.

Give them about 100 hours play time and see how they change.

Quote:
Hi everyone:)
i am new here and i found yr forum pretty useful.
Yesterday i got my new Ultrasone Pro 900 after reading lots of good reviews about these headphones. I got them for studio use.
I am used to Pioneer HDJ 1000 as i am producing music with these headphones for 6 years almost and i really wanted to buy a more detailed headphone especially cause pioneers are more loud on the lows.
So i unpacked the ultrasone, put the cable on and start listening. wow...the sound was too bad to me. The kicks especially kicks on dance music sounded like broken... i put to listen 1 song that i really know how the kick sounds and what i listened wasnt awarm and plastic  kick but close to an uncombressed kick with bit of distortion. I read about burn-ins and mods ...
my big question is that when i push the earpads a bit on my head the sound is more clear, kicks are almost ok and more feeling of the songs.... but i think sth wrong is going on here... While my pioneer headphones sound just fine, nice bass and feeling of the songs the ultrasone sound like crap...
 anyone  who have used both headphones know and can explain me the difference from the 2 headphones? I mean does Ultrasone actually sound as i am saying especially with kicks and dance music or they sound better than Pioneer HDJ 1000 and the ones i bought are not ok?

Thanks

Apr 1, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #3 of 17
Hmmm thanks mate for the info... my concern though is in the kick sounds that make a little bit of distortion and doesnt sound as they are should sound. Not sure if the burn in will fix this... hope so:)

PS: sorry for my english

Apr 1, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #4 of 17
It's no problem, and yes, burn in may help this problem. Just let 'em go for awhile and come back to see if there's any change in sound. You don't need to jam anything at high volume, just let it play at a comfortable level.

If the distortion persists, maybe it is a defect. Send it back and try another pair. If they still sound 'distorted' after you burn those in, maybe you just aren't a Ultrasone fan.

Quote:
Hmmm thanks mate for the info... my concern though is in the kick sounds that make a little bit of distortion and doesnt sound as they are should sound. Not sure if the burn in will fix this... hope so:)

Apr 1, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #5 of 17
I'm in the camp that doesn't believe burn in makes such a significant difference that it will change the way the headphones sound.

The more likely culprits for your reaction to the Pro900 are twofold:
1) poor seal: depending on the size/shape of the pads vs your head, you may not get a good seal which can dramatically affect the bass response. Pressing down on the cups will make them seal better and bring the drivers closer to the ear, which is likely what you heard
2) S-Logic: some people love it, others hate it because of the way it "mimics" soundstage with a closed can which can make things sound weird and distorted. Maybe S-Logic just isn't for you

That all said, trying some "burn in" won't hurt. Let it run for a couple hours, try it out tomorrow. If you still don't like it, return it. Those are expensive cans to hang on to and wait for theoretical burn that may or may not make a difference. If I'm dropping that kind of cash, they better give me a good impression right off the bat.

Incidentally, I have the HDJ-2000 and think it's fantastic
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #6 of 17
I love the HDJ 2000. Miles ahead of the 1000.

And yeah, don't do anything stupid like keep them past the return date because they 'might sound better'. lol

Quote:
I'm in the camp that doesn't believe burn in makes such a significant difference that it will change the way the headphones sound.

The more likely culprits for your reaction to the Pro900 are twofold:
1) poor seal: depending on the size/shape of the pads vs your head, you may not get a good seal which can dramatically affect the bass response. Pressing down on the cups will make them seal better and bring the drivers closer to the ear, which is likely what you heard
2) S-Logic: some people love it, others hate it because of the way it "mimics" soundstage with a closed can which can make things sound weird and distorted. Maybe S-Logic just isn't for you

That all said, trying some "burn in" won't hurt. Let it run for a couple hours, try it out tomorrow. If you still don't like it, return it. Those are expensive cans to hang on to and wait for theoretical burn that may or may not make a difference. If I'm dropping that kind of cash, they better give me a good impression right off the bat.

biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #7 of 17
Can someone confirm me about the bass difference between Ultrasone Pro900 and Pioneer HDJ 1000? Does the Ultrasone Pro 900 have a similar bass feeling on the ears or they sound more straight and not warm as Pioneer? At least in my ears i dont feel sub/low frequencies on the ultrasones and i dont think its about burn in. Company also told me that its not normal so i am trying to ensure that! also from someone who really knows how they sound compared to Pioneers so i can find out if my headphones are faulty. PS: Mid and High Freq are almost fine ( i can say better and more clear than pioneers)...

Apr 2, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:
I love the HDJ 2000. Miles ahead of the 1000.

Quote:
biggrin.gif

Maybe you guys can talk a little about the HDJ-2000? It is interesting, and it sounds like maybe the OP should return the PRO 900 and pick up the Pioneer.

Apr 2, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #9 of 17
I personally would still prefer the Pro 900. But if OP likes his Pioneers (which he obviously does), I would suggest the 2000s. They really are an excellent headphone.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Maybe you guys can talk a little about the HDJ-2000? It is interesting, and it sounds like maybe the OP should return the PRO 900 and pick up the Pioneer.

Apr 2, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #10 of 17
The HDJ-2000 has a frequency response more like a studio monitor than a DJ headphone. Only slightly U shaped response, overall sound is clean and almost polite, present but not overwhelming bass (will be considered bass shy for those used to typical DJ cans). It has a smallish soundstage typical of closed cans, and excellent isolation. Portability is great as it collapses down into a small form factor and has a removeable cord. Great looks, sturdy construction, super comfortable. More suitable for those with rounded heads; square-ish heads might push against the curved headband.

Apr 3, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #11 of 17
It's interesting to hear two Head-Fi'ers supporting the HDJ-2000. People tend to love it off the forum, but it rarely gets mentioned here. I was researching it at one point, and then saw a few reviews say something like: if you have never heard a real headphone you will like this, but otherwise it is mediocre. After that, I stopped thinking much about it, suspecting that might be true. But now I will probably end up trying it.

Apr 3, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #12 of 17
That's true to come extent, but mediocre? Surely not.

I respect them as a headphone. The HDJ 1000s were a joke, but after they improved the construction with the 2000s...They're a pretty nice headphone. Sure, there are better options for ~$250, but I don't think you would hate it.

Quote:
It's interesting to hear two Head-Fi'ers supporting the HDJ-2000. People tend to love it off the forum, but it rarely gets mentioned here. I was researching it at one point, and then saw a few reviews say something like: if you have never heard a real headphone you will like this, but otherwise it is mediocre. After that, I stopped thinking much about it, suspecting that might be true. But now I will probably end up trying it.

Apr 3, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #13 of 17
It's because the HDJ-2000 are not bass heavy. For most people, that's pretty much the main thing they're looking for and what they equate to "quality".

Apr 3, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #14 of 17

Quote:

Did you properly screw the cable plug in the phones? People have been known to try to push the plug in instead of screwing it, resulting in distorted sound....

Apr 3, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #15 of 17

I didn't think to suggest this. I had a hard time getting my cable to secure on my first pair of Ultrasones. You really gotta screw it in pretty hard.

EDIT: Post 500 :D
Quote:
Did you properly screw the cable plug in the phones? People have been known to try to push the plug in instead of screwing it, resulting in distorted sound....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back