Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Aug 21, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #4,921 of 5,992
http://www.head-fi.org/t/573826/the-basshead-club/2520#post_8625830

Here's my review of the PRO900. Haven't really written any long reviews before so I have a feeling that this one isn't going to be long either, oh well.

Packaging:

The PRO900, as with most if not all of the PRO series of Ultrasone headphones, comes the usual cardboard box with an image of the headphone on it. The headphone itself is secured inside the included case, which certainly can withstand drops. It's made of similar material to the Targus laptop case I have. The case would get a rate of 8.5/10 from me. It could've looked a little more flashy, and they don't look that good with after some ageing, but it's mostly a cosmetic problem.

Accessories:

Again, like most of the PRO series of Ultrasone headphones, comes with 2 cables. One straight cable terminated with a 1/8 jack, another coiled cable terminated with a 1/4 inch jack. The coiled cable is obviously much longer. The straight cable is mostly suited for use with a portable or home rig, while the coiled cable suits basically anything that, well, requires a long coiled cable. (DJing perhaps?). There is a difference between the cables included with my 2012 PRO900 and 2011 DJ1 PRO. Both were bought around July-ish. The DJ1 PRO's straight cable was shorter, almost too short to be of use. The PRO900's straight cables in comparison, are much longer and a little bit too long for me, but not to the point where it becomes a PITA. The 1/4 inch cables are also different between my two Ultrasones. The PRO900 had a much bigger jack, this time clearly labeled "Neutrik". On the plus side, the new 1/4 jack can be opened without damaging it, making it much easier to fix if something goes wrong. The standard Ultrasone CD is included as well.

A little too big for the iPod....

Sound:

By now, I guess most people would've known that the signature of the PRO900 is rather on the "V" side of things, and Tyll's FR graph measuring-dummyhead certainly seems to agree.

Note that the Grey line is what the dummyhead hears. The blue and red line is what the headphone sounds like if someone with a perfect microphone for ears would hear. Real human ears tend to increase the treble and the mids, hence the reason that the dummyhead, which has ears relatively similar to the real things would hear more treble and mids. Personally, my ears agree with the FR graphs. 

The bass is emphasized, like you'd expect from any other basshead headphone. However I did not hear the "BOOMULTRAGIGASUPAMIDANDSUBBASS" that the other reviews seems to be telling me about. The headphones could certainly use a sub-bass boost, but the mid bass is definitely there and loud. 

The lower mids are rather "meh", nothing really stands out to me. Vocals are not too quiet so it'll handle genres with vocals decently. 

The upper mids and treble is perhaps the part I had the most difficulties with. On some tracks it sounds great, the emphasis brings out more detail, and on some tracks, the treble reaches near annoyingly high levels. However a very slight EQ will bring the PRO900's treble down to a pleasant level for me.

The soundstage feels large, however it also feels rather forward, like I'm sitting at the back of the room. I tested the soundstage with a few games and the results have been positive. Locating the enemy via sound did feel rather easy.

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #4,922 of 5,992
After breaking in the Pro 900 for a bit over a week, listening to my cheaper AKG K240 or Audio Technica D40fs is not so fun anymore, they don't deliver...

The clamping is a bit tight and the bass and treble sometimes get me a bit tired but I love it.

Aug 29, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #4,924 of 5,992
Aug 29, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #4,925 of 5,992
Context: http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op/18510#post_8655002

I understand that the PRO 900 are "basshead" cans. While i don't heavily listen to bassy music, I am enamored with the S-Logic of my HFI-580. Based on that post, are these headphones for me? I want to experience the detail of my Grados but from a closed can. Not overwhelming bass, not super bright highs. Something neutral. Maybe something like the Denon AH-D600?

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #4,926 of 5,992
Quote:
Context: http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op/18510#post_8655002

I understand that the PRO 900 are "basshead" cans. While i don't heavily listen to bassy music, I am enamored with the S-Logic of my HFI-580. Based on that post, are these headphones for me? I want to experience the detail of my Grados but from a closed can. Not overwhelming bass, not super bright highs. Something neutral. Maybe something like the Denon AH-D600?

No sir, it's my opinion the Pro 900 is not for you. It has overwhelming bass for any genre that doesn't lend itself to big bass... like electronic. The Pro 900 is incredible, but for electronic and other bass heavy genres. It is not a good all-rounder. The highs are the brightest and hottest of anything Iv'e heard. Another head-fier put it well when he said it's "like being double-teamed in the ears." Unless you listen to mostly electronic or other bass-heavy genres, I would steer very clear of the Pro 900's. The mids are recessed and unnatural for most other stuff. But I tell you what, they are the absolute most fun for electronic. I would look at Denon for a better all-rounder with solid bass, better mids, and great highs. 

I'll tell you though. I've never heard a Grado. I hear they are also very bright on the high end. But I would think the recessed mids and giant bass of the Pro 900 would be nothing similar to a grado. 

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #4,928 of 5,992
I will keep in mind the PRO 750. I still have the Shure SRH940 in mind as well, which I'm leaning more toward as a cheaper alternative with great sound but from what I read, they sound nothing like Grado.

I'm interested to see reviews for the D600 though.

Aug 30, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #4,929 of 5,992
For a good portable amp ebay cmoy. Might take a while but worth it. I got an ultimate cmoy with a 1/4" out and have been very happy with it. Neutralized the pro900's a lil bit and gave it plenty of umph which is just what I wanted. Small and inexpensive. You shuld make a bid 10% under what they are asking, they will probably go for it.

Aug 30, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #4,931 of 5,992
Quote:
Is the Pro 750 a better all rounder? I mostly listen to Rap, Rock (not heavy rock) and Drum n Bass. Would you say the Pro 750 is more suited for me?

Yes, the Pro 750 is a much better all rounder while keeping some of the properties of the Pro 900. You still get solid bass, and sparkling highs, but the bass isn't as overwhelming and the mids are more present and forward rendering guitars and vocals with more realism. 

Sep 7, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #4,932 of 5,992
Just got the Asgard + Bifrost combo connected to my Essence ST via Coax and have to say it gave minimal improvements.. Just filled the cans a bit. It might be my source (320kbps/44.1Hz) but still, I expected miracles to be honest.

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #4,933 of 5,992
Quote:
Just got the Asgard + Bifrost combo connected to my Essence ST via Coax and have to say it gave minimal improvements.. Just filled the cans a bit. It might be my source (320kbps/44.1Hz) but still, I expected miracles to be honest.

A lot of things on this site are overstated, I would take most of what you hear with a grain of salt.

Sep 12, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #4,935 of 5,992
Quote:

A lot of things on this site are overstated, I would take most of what you hear with a grain of salt.

This, so much this^^

I bought the pro 900s after reading 100 pages of this thread practically salivating due to my love (and almost exclusive listening) of electronic music-trance, electro, house, DnB. It's been about 9 months now and while they sound good, I just don't see the hype these are getting. Maybe it's a combo of my source (mostly 320kbps, FLAC is hard to come by for me) and my amp (fiio e7/e9 combo) but I'm looking for more out of these cans. 

Would an upgrade in amp/dac significantly improve performance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back