Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Oct 11, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #3,276 of 5,992

Quote:
is it just me that doesnt hear this boomy bass everyones talking about, i hear the highs more than i do bass, i even find my m-50s bassier. I have them on right now. 

You aren't the only one that doesn't find the bass to be as boomy as everyone seems to describe. They have strong bass (much stronger than my Sennheiser HD280 Pros) but it isn't overpowering in the least. Even my younger brother described them as being fairly well balanced, given their reputation. He described them as sounding nearly perfect, and he is not much of a basshead, by any stretch of the imagination. The low end gives a nice thickness to the overall sound but the highs sound phenomenal, as far as I'm concerned.

I haven't tried M50s but to hear that the Pro 900s aren't as bassy comes as quite a surprise; it makes it seem suspect. Hopefully there isn't something wrong with your Pro 900s. From what I've read, those aren't very bass-heavy headphones. Even though I don't consider the bass in the Pro 900s to be overpowering or skull-rattling, I still have not heard a headphone that has bass quite like this. I'm not sure how people find these to be too bass-extreme (to the point of headaches, as I recall at least one user describing) but maybe I'm way more of a basshead than I had imagined.

Oct 11, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #3,277 of 5,992
Dang, these have nearly twice the bass of the my roommates m50s.. 
eek.gif

Quote:
is it just me that doesnt hear this boomy bass everyones talking about, i hear the highs more than i do bass, i even find my m-50s bassier. I have them on right now. 

Oct 11, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #3,278 of 5,992
The only thing i find that stands out for me is soundstage other than that i like my m50s better and after i tried the dt990 pros i liked them better too. Maybye its cause the bass is very tight with these, but 4 of my friends have liked the beats solo rattling bass than the pro 900s bass. I personally dont like the highs in the pro 900, seems too peaky for me, i even prefered the highs in the k701s than my pro 900s. The highs give me the headaches not the bass.

Edit: or maybes its because i'm too used to my m-50s. 

Oct 11, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #3,279 of 5,992

Quote:
The only thing i find that stands out for me is soundstage other than that i like my m50s better and after i tried the dt990 pros i liked them better too. Maybye its cause the bass is very tight with these, but 4 of my friends have liked the beats solo rattling bass than the pro 900s bass. I personally dont like the highs in the pro 900, seems too peaky for me, i even prefered the highs in the k701s than my pro 900s. The highs give me the headaches not the bass.

Edit: or maybes its because i'm too used to my m-50s. 

How long have you had them? I've got about 120 150 hours (a bit more accurate, after doing some figuring in my head) or so on mine and the highs seem to be just right, in my opinion. There were times in the beginning, on certain tracks, where the highs were fatiguing but I haven't encountered a track recently that had those qualities. It could also be that I don't have the best hearing when it comes to high frequency tones. I can definitely understand how excessive highs can cause headaches. It's definitely unfortunate that you are going through that but at least you have the M50s, which you seem to like.

On an unrelated note, I just tried my HD280 Pros again and am surprised at how much bass these actually have. They aren't extremely bassy but I don't think I've given them the credit that they deserve. It's really the midrange and high frequency characteristic that drives me away from them, though. They don't sound as laid back and sweet as the Pro 900s. I'm definitely pleased with the upgrade! :D

Oct 11, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #3,280 of 5,992

Quote:

Make sure your pads are screwed into the cups correctly. Unscrew them both and take them off, then put them back on. If that doesn't fix it, make sure you're centering the cups over your ears.  Finally, make sure you have a decent seal...feel the area where your skull dips down just behind and near the bottom of your ear--if there is a gap there between the pad and your head, scoot them forward and up a little bit.

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #3,281 of 5,992
Many people are sensitive to treble, others aren't.  Some people will find the Pro 900 much too harsh and bright, while many will find it pleasingly aggressive.  I can't understand not seeing them as bass heavy, however.  I've yet to hear a headphone with more bass (discounting maybe beats and sony xb500, and even then, it is very close).

Oct 12, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #3,282 of 5,992
I dont know maybe its me, but I don't hear it, i found the hd 650's, denons, beyerdynamics, k701s and others to be less treble, as far as bass  goes its not a rumble kind of bass, the bass seems like its at the back/ far away and not loud and rumble like xb500/beats not saying its a bad thing, i also think is because of isolation, when I listened to them with my m-50s pads they sounded a bit bassier and clearer, other than that, maybe its because the highs are too distracting to me. 

Oct 12, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #3,283 of 5,992
pro 900s are a love em or hate them headphone, ultrasone in general seems to be that.

well it is official, the edition 8s will not replace the pro 900s.  If i have to sell one, edition 8s are going first.  Edition 8s are more accurate, but pro 900s suit my genres of listening better.  I will only be selling one for now if i need money.

Oct 12, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #3,285 of 5,992
how does bass of pro 900s compare to bass on hd 650s on good amp?

and how do pro 900s compare to dt 770 - 80 ohm or dt 990 - 600 ohm?

im planning on buying dt 990 - 600 or the pro 900s but i dunno how they compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back