Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Aug 1, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #1,996 of 5,992
Yeah, thats what I'm thinking about, the Lyr is more than I'm willing to spend, but I'd be curious how well it would do with the PROs. Are there any hybrids under $400 besides the Little Dot 1+?

Aug 2, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #1,998 of 5,992

Quote:
Same, but I do want the edge taken off the highs, I don't think all tube amps are warm. I might just get the Mstage, its on amazon, so if I don't like it I won't have any problems returning it.

FWIW, there's still sibilance with these, but I suppose due to the quicker response, instead of hearing "Watchshhhh thisssss" it's now more like "Watchshh thiss".  So if you're mostly wanting to kill the obnoxiousness, I would think any decent amp, no matter if it's tube or SS would give you a better sound.  It doesn't take away the "brightness", but it no longer sounds as fakey because it's not exaggerated nearly as much.  Unless of course you try using 128kbps files, and then it's even more pronounced.
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #1,999 of 5,992
Picked these up on a whim as I had fond memories of my Edition 9.  First impression (although I've been spoiled by LCD-2/JH13):  Sibilant beyond anything I could've imagined.  Painful to listen to.  I have to turn the volume way down to temper the grating nails on chalkboard sound that I experience when listening to vocals on these.  The bass also clogs a little bit of the other sound (like having a subwoofer crossover set to way too much of the spectrum.)  Five hours burn in at this point.  All points of the chain are good mind you.  
I'm going to give these the benefit of the doubt, and assume that, like warts, they grow on you.

I'll check in after some more burn-in, but the Edition 9's (and the barely used 8's that I demoed for that matter) were miles ahead of these at this point, although audio memory is fickle.

Aug 2, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #2,000 of 5,992

Quote:
Picked these up on a whim as I had fond memories of my Edition 9.  First impression (although I've been spoiled by LCD-2/JH13):  Sibilant beyond anything I could've imagined.  Painful to listen to.  I have to turn the volume way down to temper the grating nails on chalkboard sound that I experience when listening to vocals on these.  The bass also clogs a little bit of the other sound (like having a subwoofer crossover set to way too much of the spectrum.)  Five hours burn in at this point.  All points of the chain are good mind you.  
I'm going to give these the benefit of the doubt, and assume that, like warts, they grow on you.

I'll check in after some more burn-in, but the Edition 9's (and the barely used 8's that I demoed for that matter) were miles ahead of these at this point, although audio memory is fickle.

Yep, that's exactly how I felt about them in the first few days.  They were truly causing inner ear pain after even less than thirty minutes, and I was pretty disgusted with them overall.  The vocals were also occluded quite a bit by the subwoofer style bass.  If you're already amping them, then I wonder how relevant break in is compared to amping (equal?).  Without an amp they gradually sounded "better" to me, but they improved drastically with one.

Still though, these aren't even in the same tier as the $800+ sets, so they shouldn't be expected to sound as good.  Initially I thought they were extremely overpriced, but not so much now--although the price of an amp has to be included with them, because they just don't sound as good (for what I listen to) without one.

Aug 2, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #2,001 of 5,992

Quote:

burn in will get rid of some of it, but it also is a signature that you will have to get used to.  It gonna have a sibilant nature when you straight take off your lcds and put the pro 900s on.  Then again, they aren't for some people.

Aug 2, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #2,002 of 5,992
It definitely takes some getting used to, but once you been listening for an hour or two you should be set. 
It also takes some getting used to when swapping back to another can ;d

Going from the 900 to my new sennheisers 650 was a bit strange. 

Aug 2, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #2,003 of 5,992

Quote:
It definitely takes some getting used to, but once you been listening for an hour or two you should be set. 

which do you like better is next logical question  lol

Aug 2, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #2,004 of 5,992
It depends on the song, I do really enjoy the bass from the 900s. It's more aggressive while the 650, as other says, is more laid back and relaxed. 

Overall I do prefer the 900s, but I prefer the 650 while listening to some of my slower tracks with female vocalists. 

Aug 2, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #2,005 of 5,992

Quote:

Takes a lot more than an hour if they are brand new.  Even now, after about two weeks of burn in and finally getting an amp the sibilance still stands out, and will probably never go away completely.  The good news though is that the rest of the range stands out too and sounds great.

I'd definitely agree that the signature sound may not be for everyone for sure.  The bass is absolutely stellar now, and the midrange is still recessed slightly, but now it's no longer in a negative way at all--it oddly makes most songs sound more natural somehow, while the highs are very precise, but still quite exaggerated.  The highs contrast a lot with the mids, almost as though it's two different headphones.  Schizophrenic headphones?

Aug 2, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #2,006 of 5,992
^^ no clue.  

but if i listen to the 900s for more than say 3 hours straight, i totally forget about the highs.

Aug 2, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #2,007 of 5,992

Quote:
It depends on the song, I do really enjoy the bass from the 900s. It's more aggressive while the 650, as other says, is more laid back and relaxed. 

Overall I do prefer the 900s, but I prefer the 650 while listening to some of my slower tracks with female vocalists. 

+1

I'm in the same boat as you, although don't count out the hd650s bass because it's quite fantastic. Just not as big and "aggresive".

Aug 2, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #2,008 of 5,992
Only thing that annoys me with the 900s is that they can be too bright. Some of my favourite tracks, even though its rapcore (a mix of rap and rock with focus on low end) sounds unpleasant on medium-high volume due to the drum kit's cymbal.
Bright tinny treble is the best way to describe it I guess. 

Aug 2, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #2,010 of 5,992
lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back