Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
May 3, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #1,156 of 5,992
I'm really enjoying the J$ leather pads on these cans. More comfortable with perhaps a slight reduction in low-end "boom."

May 3, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #1,157 of 5,992
Might I recommend that you get an amp?
The pro 900s really need an amp to really excel. To be honest, the notion that the pro 900s can be powered quite well by an ipod, is incorrect. They benefit immensely from an amp!

I know its been discussed time and time again, but which amp would you all recommend, say something portable enough to carry in not necessarily my pocket but maybe my notebook messenger bag, and say between $100-$300?

May 3, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #1,158 of 5,992

Quote:
Quote:
The pro 900s really need an amp to really excel. To be honest, the notion that the pro 900s can be powered quite well by an ipod, is incorrect. They benefit immensely from an amp!

I know its been discussed time and time again, but which amp would you all recommend, say something portable enough to carry in not necessarily my pocket but maybe my notebook messenger bag, and say between $100-$300?

I personally use the FiiO e7 with my pro 900s when I take them around and it's definitely a big improvement, and it's an even bigger improvement when I use my e9.

May 3, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #1,159 of 5,992

Quote:
Quote:

I fully recommend the headstage arrow amp. Right now the current generation G3 is well suited for your needs as in portable and immensely powerful. Rob (the owner of headstage) carefully checks each amp to make sure it's nothing short of stunning and perfect. Perfect is the wrong word since there should be room for improvement, but this amp can definitely drive anything you throw at it. It's well built, very small (size of a ipod nano, previous generation), and it'll make you smile every time you use it. It does for me at least xD anyways, the arrow amp will cost you 300, so that's your complete budget, but the payoff of the amp is well worth the money. The amp is small enough to carry along with you if you want, i connect it to my iaudio 9 and then use it when my sennheiser ie8s on the go. At home i have a different amp, but this one will suit your needs just fine. If you need other suggestions, i'm sure other members here will give you their suggestion. If you need more convincing about the amp, just search this forum for arrow amp, there should be a thread for it. 

Also, Rob has announced a new generation, G4, of the arrow amp. It includes a tremble add-on that you might be interested in. What i have is the G3, and i've never found a need to have a tremble add-on, but if that's something you're interested in, Robs taking pre-orders right now

May 3, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #1,160 of 5,992
Thank you all, and if anyone cares to suggest any other amp, please do! I'll strongly consider an amp in the near future. What a good day today has turned out to be; not only did I manage to sell my 669's to a good friend for the same price I paid, but also found a perfect section of the library, the lounge area, with tables set up besides 4 loud, constantly humming vending machines that dare not complain while I enjoy my 900 PRO's! Besides, everyone else here chatters carelessly so I'm surely not going to upset anyone here. :D

May 3, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #1,161 of 5,992
Some additional amp sugestions for ya:

iBasso T3, D4, D6, P4

Ray Samuels P-51 Mustang

Fiio's upcoming E11

May 3, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #1,162 of 5,992
Yesterday, which was my first day with the 900's, was one where I wasn't able to pay close attention to the sound, and after a full day with them today, I thought I'd give my "true" first impression. How shall I put this...
basshead.gif

In all honesty, if this is what the 900's sound like (only on their second day), I can't imagine what higher end cans are capable of! Everyone here that had recommended these for trance/techno/progressive/etc. was absolutely spot on! If you're in a similar situation, you need not look anywhere else. I'm more than satisfied, and cannot wait unitl post-burn in. I know I haven't much experience as of yet in the world of hi-fi, as is evident by my sig, but much like anyone here, my ears are always craving for "bigger and better!" Maybe not necessarily bigger, but know what I mean.
smily_headphones1.gif

The only "flaw" I've noticed thus far is the treble which at times is ear peircing. I'm sure it'll improve over time.

May 3, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #1,163 of 5,992
i2ehan,

I'm glad the Pro 900s are growing on you!  The treble will tame after some burn in, but they will always have a bit of sparkle.  The Pro 900s can sound so warm and intimate with their bass, yet they're still bright at the same time.  This makes for a very interesting mix.  As for the possibility of there being higher end headphones than the Pro 900s, IMO that depends on your favorite genre.  I'm not so sure the Ultrasones can be beat at Electronica.  Headphones like the D7000s are indeed technically superior and much better all arounders, but I still think the Pro 900s edge them out for EDM and Metal.

May 4, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #1,164 of 5,992
I'm just glad I scored Ultrasone's flagship closed cans, else I would've juggled between the 780, 750, and DJ1 indecisively. Now that I've heard the 900's, I'm anxious to push the limit with an amp, as was recommended by many, time and time again. Though I'll most probably wait until after my studies, once they've fully burned-in. I'd rather push the 900's once I've seen what they're truly capable of.
wink_face.gif

May 4, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #1,165 of 5,992
Amping is very important for a headphone like the Pro 900s.  Bass depth increases, as does soundstage and detail retrieval.  Unless an amp is bright, it also helps tame the highs.  And while the Pro 900 is Ultrasone's Pro flagship, their true flagship is the Edition 8 (for closed cans).  I wish to hear one someday.   I too am at the stage where I need to upgrade my amp and dac and possibly recable the Pro 900s in order to get the absolute most out of them.  That will come after college, however, when I have a steady income.  For now, the Pro 900 and M-Stage combo is more than enough for me 
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #1,166 of 5,992

Quote:
Thank you all, and if anyone cares to suggest any other amp, please do! I'll strongly consider an amp in the near future. What a good day today has turned out to be; not only did I manage to sell my 669's to a good friend for the same price I paid, but also found a perfect section of the library, the lounge area, with tables set up besides 4 loud, constantly humming vending machines that dare not complain while I enjoy my 900 PRO's! Besides, everyone else here chatters carelessly so I'm surely not going to upset anyone here.
biggrin.gif

My iBasso D12 is excellent, but I don't have much experience with other portable amps. Can't go wrong with that one in my opinion.

As for the sound leakage complaints, I really don't get those... I only get a tiny amount of leakage even when I have them turned up uncomfortably loud...

May 4, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #1,167 of 5,992
If I'm satisfied with the volume on my current player, is it safe to assume that an amp won't make much of a difference for me? In other words, can I avoid another whole in my wallet?

May 4, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #1,168 of 5,992

Quote:
If I'm satisfied with the volume on my current player, is it safe to assume that an amp won't make much of a difference for me? In other words, can I avoid another whole in my wallet?

I just cringed to see *gasp* Skullcandy on your sig. Specially since Pro 900 is on the same sentence, it's kinda offensive.

The main purpose of an amp is not to give louder output, but to open up the sound.

...seriously, Skullcandy!?!?!?

May 4, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #1,169 of 5,992
etysmile.gif

The skulls are there to remind me of my slumdog days, and to ward off strangers that ask me about my hi-end cans, haha.

"Wow, what's an Ultrasone? Those look crazy! You must know your sound pretty well!"
"Oh yea! In fact, try these!" *hands over the skulls*
*few seconds later*... "I really should get going, nice meeting you."

Maybe I should throw a pair of Beats into the collection.
wink.gif

May 4, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #1,170 of 5,992

Quote:
I just cringed to see *gasp* Skullcandy on your sig. Specially since Pro 900 is on the same sentence, it's kinda offensive.

The main purpose of an amp is not to give louder output, but to open up the sound.

...seriously, Skullcandy!?!?!?

LOLi found it kind of amusing also when i saw that xD but i figure he has his reasons. I mean, it's probably one of those headphones you bring to school and you don't care if you lose them or not. When you go up in price for your IEMs and your portable player, you kind of get paranoid at school sometimes.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back