Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Apr 17, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #976 of 5,990

Quote:
Can't see them being up there long, these have become some real popular headphones.
The buy it now price is also 370 instead of 350 now I noticed, would be interested to see if 320 still gets accepted.

Ah that's a shame. Just this morning the buy it now was 349.99. Oh well. Seems that 320 would probably be too low. Wouldn't hurt to try though. And yeah, I bet they won't last long at all. They're who I bought from a couple months back, so I can vouch for their good service. 

Apr 17, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #977 of 5,990

Quote:
lol, do you really beat your gf with your akgs?

LOL, no, but that would be a pretty creative use for them.  They're for her to use as multi-purpose phones, I got 'em in the black/yellow color combo which I think looks pretty nice.

Quote:
@bunit

These headphones are great for positional audio in video games.  I personally think they are better than the AKG K701s I used to have.  Because the Ultrasone's are just so detailed, its really easy to pinpoint footsteps and other audio cues.  The best part is that it manages to do this while also providing great bass for explosions and immersion.  The bass doesn't intrude enough to where footsteps are no longer audible, so these headphones have the ability to make a game both immersive and give you a competitive edge in multiplayer.  There have been a few others who have agreed with me that these are great gaming cans.  

That's great!  The AKG701s are known as very, very good headphones especially for competitive FPS playing so if the Pro 900s can hold their own in that regard while providing great bass at the same time that's some very welcome news.  Does the bass ever mask any of of the finer details though?  Especially in online FPS games.

Quote:

Apr 17, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #978 of 5,990

Quote:
LOL, no, but that would be a pretty creative use for them.  They're for her to use as multi-purpose phones, I got 'em in the black/yellow color combo which I think looks pretty nice.

That's great!  The AKG701s are known as very, very good headphones especially for competitive FPS playing so if the Pro 900s can hold their own in that regard while providing great bass at the same time that's some very welcome news.  Does the bass ever mask any of of the finer details though?  Especially in online FPS games.

I found them to be no worse than AD-700's for gaming, which is quite amazing considering they are closed cans. Footsteps are still easily heard and the bass never intrudes on this.

Apr 18, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #979 of 5,990
I don't mean to be so blunt, but, to everyone that recently bought Pro 900s, please give these headphones some time to settle in, before drawing any premature conclusions. It's bothering me that most members, who just bought pro 900, are scrutinizing their sound signature. The pro 900s aren't flawless, but atleast give them the patience they deserve. To be honest, I found Colmustard's review quite unjust, as any head-fier should know that reviewing a headphone with only 100 hours of break-in is blasphemy.
A great reason, as to why one should give them some time, is the kees mod, which only improves the sound during the break-in period.
Furthermore, if your main concerns revolve are the recessed mids and small soundstage, I will guarantee that break-in drastically improves both these attributes.

Apr 18, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #982 of 5,990

Quote:
I don't mean to be so blunt, but, to everyone that recently bought Pro 900s, please give these headphones some time to settle in, before drawing any premature conclusions. It's bothering me that most members, who just bought pro 900, are scrutinizing their sound signature. The pro 900s aren't flawless, but atleast give them the patience they deserve. To be honest, I found Colmustard's review quite unjust, as any head-fier should know that reviewing a headphone with only 100 hours of break-in is blasphemy.

True.

Quote:
A great reason, as to why one should give them some time, is the kees mod, which only improves the sound during the break-in period.

Utter nonsense.

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #983 of 5,990
Strong words.  Only in part, not utterly, imo 
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #984 of 5,990
Do you have any evidence besides anecdotal to support your claims of burn in with these headphones?
Quote:
Furthermore, if your main concerns revolve are the recessed mids and small soundstage, I will guarantee that break-in drastically improves both these attributes.

Apr 18, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #986 of 5,990
There is CC TV footage clearly showing a 15.7% increase in Leanders foot tapping and head nodding after a 200hr burn...  
wink_face.gif

Quote:
tisb0b said:

Do you have any evidence besides anecdotal to support your claims of burn in with these headphones?

Apr 18, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #987 of 5,990

Quote:

Utter nonsense.

I forgot to add, "imo".
wink.gif

And as for break-in, albeit being proven to improve the sound of headphones, I think it's quite easy to hear for yourself.

Apr 18, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #988 of 5,990
Its not just easy, it is pretty much unavoidable
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #990 of 5,990
Oh no, looks like the Pro 900 Appreciation Thread might fall victim to the burn-in debate! 
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back