Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Apr 14, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #931 of 5,992
I think you will find that the high's smooth out a good amount and the bass becomes more controlled after about 100 hours of solid burn in.

As for the J$ pad mod, it's as easy as 4 steps.

1.) Buy the J$ Pads (this is the hardest part, it's downhill from here!)
2.) Take your extra pair of stock pro 900 pads and tear the bottom swivels from them.
3.) Attach the swivels to the bottom of the pads, carefully lining up where you want them to be in relation to where they will end up once in place on the earcups. I personally used a hot glue gun to attach mine and it worked perfectly.
4.) Ensure that the swivels are in place and push down extra hard because it's more difficult to lock them in place with the J$ pads. Once they're in place test them out, and then remove them and re-lock them in from a different angle multiple times to figure out which angle sounds best to you.

thats it! 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
I will read the review in the early hour or so but It looks like you did an awesome review, how did you mod the ear cups though?
One thing I noticed was that the sound greatly differs when setting the ear cups in different heights so I guess the modification would be awesome for the pro 900 since they leak sound abit.

I don't find the stock earcups uncomfortable or making my ear sweat I guess we're different in that aspect. But I'm interested in buying the J$ pads but I won't be able to mod it myself... and I wouldn't wanna touch it anyway

Good write-up and and it looks well organized and professional from my point of view, Well done and I promise I'll read it soon.

I noticed that the Pro 900 really aren't good with rock, I find them good in acoustic, I really do. there are recording that I really like the high-range. there are some recordings that the bass is too hard for my ears though but that's rare but it is there nonetheless... the soundstage is really awesome now I like it. liek you said it's not distant it's really in your face or atleast couple of centimeters away but it's pretty wide.

I would like more clarity though, It's lacking for me... and surprising enough I really enjoy women vocals along with a guitar but sometimes the high-range can be harsh on my ears and I have to lower the volume, I really woudl like it to even out abit... but it's overall good..(surprisingly since they don't excel there from reviews I read)

But I can't enjoy rock with these. especially live gigs.
SUBMIT

Apr 14, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #932 of 5,992
It doesn't sound that easy. are you sure I can't mess it up?
does the mids balance out cause there are recordings  that they feel recessed and the lows and high kinda overpower it abit. not by much though bit I'd like the mids to be alittle bit forward and that would be perfect..

Apr 14, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #933 of 5,992
Yes it is a very easy DIY, if you do mess it up then you just strip the swivels from the J$ pads and try again! I actually glued it on at the wrong angle the first time and had to do this and the swivel peeled from the leather without any problems.

Yes from my experience the J$ pads do bring out the mids a little bit, it is not a complete fix for the recessed mids but it is noticeable. I believe I talk about this in greater detail in my review! :)

Quote:
It doesn't sound that easy. are you sure I can't mess it up?
does the mids balance out cause there are recordings  that they feel recessed and the lows and high kinda overpower it abit. not by much though bit I'd like the mids to be alittle bit forward and that would be perfect..

Apr 14, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #934 of 5,992
Colmustard, I thank you for a great review with the J$ Pads. Is there anyway you can try to compare the two with a few trance songs. I noticed most of your selections where mostly rock and a few DnB tracks. I know a lot of people that exclusively use their Pro 900 for electronic music. I agree the stock pads kind of blow. I don't have a problem with the driver being too close to me, my main problem is lasting comfort. I do find them relatively comfortable but after a while the pads get to me and around my ears feel itchy and agravated. I want my Pro 900 to be as comfortable as my D7000 and Dt990's. I may try this mod in the future.

Apr 14, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #935 of 5,992
Let me know a specific track you want me to add to the review and I will do so 
wink_face.gif

However the review is already very lengthy so I would like to limit it to just one addition.

Quote:
Colmustard, I thank you for a great review with the J$ Pads. Is there anyway you can try to compare the two with a few trance songs. I noticed most of your selections where mostly rock and a few DnB tracks. I know a lot of people that exclusively use their Pro 900 for electronic music. I agree the stock pads kind of blow. I don't have a problem with the driver being too close to me, my main problem is lasting comfort. I do find them relatively comfortable but after a while the pads get to me and around my ears feel itchy and agravated. I want my Pro 900 to be as comfortable as my D7000 and Dt990's. I may try this mod in the future.

Apr 14, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #936 of 5,992
I didn't mean you actually had to do it lol.. Just take something like a pop trance song that people can easily identify. Something like traffic from Tiesto.

Apr 15, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #938 of 5,992
I really recommend buying from Lookat.com and I'm tell ing you guys again, I'd like to arrange a group buy for you people, and arrange the best price available.
Please get back to me by PM that would be great.
I'll give you an exact price.

P.S: I really recommend them for european customers since they are located in spain so the shipping costs is reduced or included, I'll have to check it out

Thank you

Apr 15, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #942 of 5,992
Seems like the 900s are back en masse again, will probably be picking up a pair of these soon.  

A question I have for some people in regards to these and their ability in terms of gaming. Positional audio accuracy and picking up detail cues, specifically.  Does the big bass mask finer details in online FPS's like CS, MW2, BFBC2, etc?  I know a lot of the owners of these also own/have owned multiple headphones - how well do these work for gaming and being able to HEAR and PINPOINT where people are just by listening compared to well-known gaming stalwarts like the AD700, DT770/880/990, K701, HD595/598, D2000/5000 etc, etc?  Also I think I'm going to be using these with Dolby Headphone (or CMSS-3D possibly but probably Dolby..) for some PC gaming so just wondering owners' thoughts on this.  

How's the immersion?  I assume being closed in nature and with some nice bassy rumble they'd be great.  S-Logic is another curveball...
I've read generally positive opinions on these but some concrete comparisons to other well-regarded gaming cans would be great, especially some of those listed above.

thanks!
-soon to be pro900 owner, most likely.
These seem like they would satisfy me for music (can't know for sure until I try them out for myself though! haha) but I was contemplating whether or not its neccessary for me to pick up another pair of (much cheaper) gaming-dedicated headphones.  Being in a dorm next year makes me hesitant to buy open headphones even if its mostly for gaming though...I"m thinking the isolation provided by closed headphones would be useful.  We'll see....

Apr 15, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #943 of 5,992

Hello, As you might figured it out but the ultrasones Pro 900 are really becoming popular these days and it seems there a really high demand for them.

Because of the high demand I think it may be the best to arrange a group buy and save people cash and time,

I guarantee that you'll get the best price available and the best support prior and after purchase.

The group buy I'm arranging is from the site Lookat.com and they are located i Spain.

The group buy is preferably for european residents since the shipping costs are included or reduced depend on your exact location.

Lookat are extremely reliable and professional company, most of you guys don't know them because they are located in Spain but they are very well known in spain so you can buy with confidence.

The people that are interested in the group buy please write me by pm or add your name in the thread, either option is ok.

and I'll get back to you with further informative details.

Thank you and have a great day.

Hope that this is an appropriate place to do so.

Apr 15, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #945 of 5,992
Buyauthorized are selling them again on eBay. Should I get them...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back