Ultrasone Pro 900 Balanced
Feb 23, 2010 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

shuttleboi

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone have any more news about the Ultrasone Pro 900 Balanced headphones? They come double-ended balanced from Ultrasone. I think they are the only balanced headphones sold from the manufacturer and not modded by a third party. Will they be sold in the USA?

http://www.headfonia.com/news/ultras...o900-balanced/

PRO900Balanced_big-600x450.jpg

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 18
Think I read something about it being cancelled... But you know how internet is
tongue.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 18
HOLY CRAP! I really hope this is for real... at it does not have an insane price!

Does anyone have experience with a balanced Ultrasone... or a Y cable one even for that matter? I heard a Y mod alone will improve the sound as it bypasses a circuit in the headphone for the one sided cable.

Any idea if getting a standard pro 900 recabled to Y cable with XLR terminations and using an XLR to TRS adapter, until I get a balanced source and amp, would be a smart move? I would have to pay for the re-cable anyways... that way I wouldn't have to send them back :p. Hopefully the adapter wouldn't do much SQ wise.

Feb 23, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #5 of 18
It's a very small difference from having the adapter, most of which are 1 foot long for some reason. I wouldn't go for shorter adapter because it could put weight on the TRS jack. Another possibility is going for the more streamlined 4-pin XLR, then have a 4-pin xlr to 2x3-pin xlr adapter. The balanced amp ultrasone planned on using with the planned balanced pro 900 was originally 4-pin, they probably decided to go for 2x3-pin since it is the current norm for balanced headphone amps. 4-pin may become the norm eventually.

Also, Drew at moon-audio already does this mod, and he has all the parts for the screw-in mechanism etc.

Feb 24, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by draven5494 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bhphoto has an Ultrasone 900 Balanced listed HERE. It is listed as a new item however with no arrival date...

The price there is $749. That's expensive, but not outlandishly expensive. I would rather buy headphones that are sold as double-ended right from the factory rather than having my expensive gear modded by someone.

Feb 24, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #9 of 18
stock cable is good so why not?

Feb 24, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cryo is more conductive and quieter, generally a worthy upgrade for any headphone, more notably Ultrasone.

I think the point he was trying to get across was that the act of balancing the headphones should be a bigger improvement than cryoing a cable, or using more expensive cabling.

Cable improvement, as far as I am aware anyways, is an unproven and very small improvement if any. Balancing is very proven and has a noticeable difference.

There are people (many) who don't believe in cables at all... you don't find anyone saying that about balanced headphones :p.

I don't know where I stand so I can't comment... All I know is that my precious signal passes through so much lack-luster cabling and solder in the electronics themselves that upgrading cables seems like beating a dead horse!

749 is extremely expensive when you consider you get 2 cables in the packaging anyways, and the mod is a very simple and inexpensive one. However I supposed they are paying highly skilled German technicians 1 gazillion dollars per hour, that and they know people who have balanced gear have already paid out the arse and will be willing to do it again! Not to discredit those people.. I am incredibly jealous :p.

Feb 24, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a very small difference from having the adapter, most of which are 1 foot long for some reason. I wouldn't go for shorter adapter because it could put weight on the TRS jack. Another possibility is going for the more streamlined 4-pin XLR, then have a 4-pin xlr to 2x3-pin xlr adapter. The balanced amp ultrasone planned on using with the planned balanced pro 900 was originally 4-pin, they probably decided to go for 2x3-pin since it is the current norm for balanced headphone amps. 4-pin may become the norm eventually.

Also, Drew at moon-audio already does this mod, and he has all the parts for the screw-in mechanism etc.

Thanks a lot! Yeah I was thinking of ebaying a pair or something, having them sent to Drew to get a Y mod (supposedly an upgrade in its own right) and possibly balancing with an adapter on the side, then sent back to me with a MADE IN USA thing on it so I would have to pay minimal import duties due to NAFTA XD. Any advice on which of his cables to chose? Does it really make a diff at all, except for the hole in my wallet?

4 pin is a great idea, but for the same reasons it is taking forever to become the norm... no amps except for the RSA protector actually use the darned stuff.

Feb 24, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #13 of 18
Why can't they have a single sided cable terminated in a mini 4-pin xlr? Then it's low profile (3.5mm size), light, and can have a few adapters without being heavy or getting in the way.

Feb 24, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #14 of 18
Sokolov, Drew recommends the black dragon for the pro 900. I only tried the blue dragon and it has quite more bass and bass detail than stock pro 900, smoothed treble and on the warm side. But bass detail is highly dependent on source/amp, blue dragon will allow whatever sort of bass your source/amp provide, whether it is bloated or tight, anemic or powerful.

P4Z, I am aware of only two 4-pin mini xlr manufacturers and switchcraft is pretty cheap quality and way overpriced. And 24 awg is the thickest gauge while many who balance headphones are using like 18-24 gauge lol. Maybe if switchcraft started making gold-plated ones with less cheap plastic exterior I would be for mini-xlr, but balanced headphones deserve a connector that can accommodate thicker wires.

Feb 24, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sokolov, Drew recommends the black dragon for the pro 900. I only tried the blue dragon and it has quite more bass and bass detail than stock pro 900, smoothed treble and on the warm side. But bass detail is highly dependent on source/amp, blue dragon will allow whatever sort of bass your source/amp provide, whether it is bloated or tight, anemic or powerful.

P4Z, I am aware of only two 4-pin mini xlr manufacturers and switchcraft is pretty cheap quality and way overpriced. And 24 awg is the thickest gauge while many who balance headphones are using like 18-24 gauge lol. Maybe if switchcraft started making gold-plated ones with less cheap plastic exterior I would be for mini-xlr, but balanced headphones deserve a connector that can accommodate thicker wires.

Many thanks... I will seriously have to consider dropping some cash on cables.. An idea which I really hate...

I actually have a black dragon interconnect drew was liquidating on his ebay page... and I have a few pure silver interconnects from MAC i got at a great price on Audiogon.. I guess I should do some testing myself haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back