ultrasone pro 750/2500 vs DT 880 ???
Jul 23, 2008 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

wazzupi

Headphoneus Supremus
Watercooler Travel Team
Pulling out the Head-Fi muscle
OK i changed my mind for gaming which is better DT880 or ultrasone pro 2500 those are my options. Is the DT880 better without a amp then ultrasone pro 2500
they are both priced the same for me. DT880 $265 proline $275 both shipped price doesn't matter. From my understanding Dt880 best soundstage ultrasone pro 2500 best overall headphone with very good soundstage and details. Not sure best sound stage > details/good soundstage
frown.gif
someone help me !!! hehe

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #2 of 41
What are you using to drive them? You'll need an amp for the more expensive headphones to get the most out of them.

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #3 of 41
you are probably much better off spending $250 on an amp and $250 on headphones because chances are your sound card wont be able to drive $500 headphones to their full potential... unless you already have a proper amp...

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #4 of 41
if the stax come with an amp, definitely the stax.

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #5 of 41
I've used Sony MDR SA5000 surprisingly enough for gaming. They can be easily driven by a sound card. They are extremely comfortable for long periods of time. The detailing is simply amazing. It's relatively affordable at around $400 online currently. Though, it depends like mentioned here, if you'd rather spend a bit less on the phones and buy an amp. I do think you might be perfectly happy with these Sony's.

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #6 of 41
I see you've at least set a price point and did some reading. Though with all due respect, for us to help you out in your decision making, please be more specific. There's been an influx with gaming headphone topics lately and a lot of them have been so 'general'.

Do you like bassy response that will hit your noggin' every time you fling your grenade? Speed oriented and detailed headphones (like my SA5000's)? Furthermore, what is your current setup? What else do you want to use this for (or gaming purpose only)? I can keep going on and on...

You know what they say, 'the search function is your friend'
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #7 of 41
An old Stax headphone and amp setup is the way to go. They cost no more than $350 total and you simply won't be able to beat it with anything at the price.

Jul 23, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #8 of 41
ok to be more specific i want a headphone that can help me pinpoint someone via footsteps etc i want a headphone that doesn't blend the explosions (highs) with something like footsteps which are usaully low and drown in the noise of the explosions usually headphones that don't have such a loud high are good at this. detail help. I am not good with terms that people use but i hope this helps.

Also where would i be able to get myself a stax lambda ? i can't seem to find them anywhere !

Jul 23, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #9 of 41
get HD515 or HD555 for gaming..

they ll run fine without amp but can benefit from amp.

I read on some Gaming forum that HD555 are best for Gaming

Jul 23, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by wazzupi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok to be more specific i want a headphone that can help me pinpoint someone via footsteps etc i want a headphone that doesn't blend the explosions (highs) with something like footsteps which are usaully low and drown in the noise of the explosions usaully headphones that don't have such a loud high are good at this. detail help. I am not good with terms that people use but i hope this helps.

Also where would i be able to get myself a stax lambda ? i can't seem to find them anywhere !

I can only compare my Lambda to my D2000 and HD280, but the Lambda totally owns the other two cans in pretty much all aspects including comfort. The superior imaging of the lambda was be the first thing I notice when I heard the Lambda.

Jul 23, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #11 of 41
As some have stated, you cannot beat electrostat headphones for detail, mids and soundstage. But their bass impact is lacking.

For dynamic headphones, i recommend the Beyer DT880 '05 edition. Some of the best detail, soundstage, mids and tight impact bass you'll find in a dynamic headphone. But you'll need a decent desktop amp to drive them - $250 and up amp.

Also what kind of gaming? Console or Computer? If it is console, i highly recommend getting a Dolby Headphone (DH) receiver. It takes a games 5.1 audio channels and creates surround sound in any normal pair of headphone (DH can be used with any high end audiophile headphone, be it dynamic or electrostat). DH will add much depth, soundstage, and pinpoint 3D accuracy to games. Don't confuse DH with other inferior DSP 5.1 surround options, or the gimmicky multi-driver 5.1 headphones/headsets - these in particular are garbage.

Jul 23, 2008 at 8:21 AM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get HD515 or HD555 for gaming..

they ll run fine without amp but can benefit from amp.

I read on some Gaming forum that HD555 are best for Gaming

LOL, f'n lol really.
From FPSlabs, the AD700....

Quote:

Performance

These headphones, as were the 5HV2 and HD555, are paired up with my X-Fi XtremeMusic. You cant have great audio if you pair your quality headsets up with garbage audio sources. Remember that. You wouldn’t buy a Ferrari and then put unleaded gas in it would you? Same concept here. I am going to test these in some games, make a few comparisons, then move on to audio and movies.

In-game

The games of choice during this review were Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike 1.6, Counter-Strike: Source, and Crysis. I have raved about good positional audio before, such as in the 5HV2 review. While the positional audio on the 5HV2 is good, it achieves this with audio having minimal depth. It is quite the experience to not only have a 6th sense of your opposition’s position in game but to do so while achieving audio excellence all around. Both the Audio Technicas and the Sennheisers can provide this. It is a more well-rounded sound that the SteelSeries headset lacks. In [CS] 1.6 and Source I was able to pick up details like weapon reloads and footsteps with regular accuracy half-way across the map. During Team Fortress 2 I could weed out sentry gun movement with ease even during the heat of the battle. Often during big confrontations audio can become distorted or muddied up, but while using these headphones clarity was never a problem. While moseying around in Crysis setting off enemy alerts, their strategic communication and babble was clearly audible beyond distances that the 5HV2 could reproduce.

I have often heard that a good set of headphones is like ’sound hacks’. These statements are pretty accurate when paired with a good sound card. You avid gamers out there owe it to yourself to try some quality cans at some point or another if you haven’t. I can’t promise you these headphones are going to take you from CEVO-O to the CGS World Finals when it comes to playing games, as there is only so much of an advantage hardware can give you, but you might as well take advantage where you can.

In-game I did prefer the AD700 overall. Clarity reigned supreme with these headphones. All ranges of sound seemed more distinct, acurate, and deep. While I enjoy the added bass later on with the HD555, in-game I prefer the cleaner sound stage of the AD700. The amplified bass and explosions in-game were nice to listen to with the Sennheisers, but the Audio Technicas seemed more beneficial to game play.

Soundstage >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bassy Explosions any day of the week for gaming.

Since a lot of peeps in here arn't avid gamers, I'll say this again:

Soundstage is far more important for gaming with headphones than bass.

Jul 23, 2008 at 8:53 AM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foe-hammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As some have stated, you cannot beat electrostat headphones for detail, mids and soundstage. But their bass impact is lacking.

I don't think my Lambda's bass impact is lacking at all. Certainly it won't match D2000 in terms of impact, but it's definitely no slouch either. If anything, I think the bass impact of the D2000 is too much.

Jul 23, 2008 at 9:03 AM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foe-hammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't find electrostatics to lack bass impact.
All my electrostatics (SR-007, 4070 and SR-404) have all the bass impact I ever want. They may not impact as the bass-impact-kings of dynamic headphones, like L3000, Edition 9, etc. But certainly not lacking.

That is my opinion though, just like the above is your opinion.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #15 of 41
Can someone give me a little information about these stax or electrostratic headphones ? From what i've noticed people sell them and thats it. So i'm guessing if they break i won't be able to repair them correct ? Also i like the look of the lambda and its suppose to be very good as well, So any info on these headphones would be great. I'm still leaning towards the pro2500 since i can get them for 275 shipped (brand new) i saw the dt880 260ish brand new (05 edition) but It's going to be harder to drive and i don't really want headphones that need a tube amp to get most out of it and pro2500 > dt880 in that department.

From my research i've noticed pro2500>dt880 in everything but soundstage (but by very little). Dt880 might be overkill on that i'd rather have the detail of pro2500 which has a good enough soundstage. I own a pair of HD595 they were ok but sounds were drowning with each other. I couldn't really tell where anything was plus one side is dead now and i need new headphones (warranty is done). I think stax are doable with the amp they come with, I can live traveling with those headphones.

Thanks for your input guys making it tough for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back