Ultrasone HFI range - Suitable for on the go?
Sep 13, 2009 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Puro

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am looking for some decent closed back headphones to travel to work and back, plus the added benefit of using them at work. Can anybody here tell me from experience with any of the Ultrasone HFI range, if they could be suitable for travel? I have the added aid of portable amplification. How well would the Ultrasones conceal my music? If I placed them around my neck, would they 'choke' and feel bulky around the neck. Im wanting a change from my cans as my Beyer DT770s are rather choking when placed around the neck. They are great, but not ideal for wear when travelling. Im looking for something more light, and easier to manage but with great closed back concealment. I dont like IEMs. From photos the HFI range looks alot lighter that my Beyers.

I hope some Ultrasone HFI users could help me out here,
Cheers.

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 5
Well, just about anything is more portable than the DT770s. I've got a pair of the Beyer and the HFI-780, and while it's easily the more portable set of cans, it still stays home.

I think that's mostly cause of the cable- it's thick and 10' long or so. I'd probably be a lot more comfortable taking them out if I didn't have to shove a couple yards of cable into my pocket, but I'm not really willing to cut it just for that.

To answer your questions though, I find the isolation from them to be quite good, and the bulk and choke factor isn't an issue, especially as they rotate out to lie parallel to the chin, rather than propping it up like the Beyers do. They seem to drive about as easily as the Beyers too. And they're lighter too, of course.

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #3 of 5
I think HFI450, HFI580 and HFI780 are good choice for travel use and they are not bulky as some other fullsize headphones. Most important is soundsignature and you can read more about these headphones on Ultrasone website.

Sep 16, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #4 of 5
I've got a few of the HFI's and one proline. I wouldn't exactly call the fullsize HFI's a portable option, but they are good headphones.

Sep 18, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 5
Can be used as portable, but with decent source. My HFI-580 are driven easily straight out of Nano & Kenwood HD20, but benefit from FiiO E5. Also Ultrasones are not really comfortable & a little bit bulky. I use them at home, for travelling I prefer Etys & ES7 (AT are worse for rock though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back