Ultrasone HFI 780
Oct 17, 2011 at 11:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Gilly87

Member of the Trade: ApeSonic
Been looking for some good basshead cans...my two priorities are overall clarity of sound and depth of bass. I'm sick of being suggested phones that have huge mid-bass; I love bass but I have no need whatsoever for excessive bloatedness or darkness or warmth. I want my music to sound clear and natural and open, with good soundstage, but I want my face to shake too...is that asking too much? ^_^

Been browsing around for impressions on the Ultrasone HFI-780, and I haven't found much; I've heard Ultrasones are the best for bassheads when it comes to cans, and these are within my price range, so I'm curious to see if anyone out there can give a good impression of them; if possible, I'd love to hear from someone who has also heard the Phiaton MS400s, as those are my current cans which I am extremely bored with :p 

Oct 18, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #3 of 19
The 780 has solid bass performance, but I wouldn't consider it a basshead can.  I'd look at the HFI 580 instead.  The m50 is similar to the 780 in that it is more neutral with a slight bump in the bass region.  The D1100 has gobs of bass, but it is of the kind that you stated you didn't like: mid bass hump, warm, etc.

HFI 580 all the way.

Oct 18, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #4 of 19
If you want serious bass, consider the Denon D2000's. (buy a used pair) 

Oct 18, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #5 of 19
The D2000 is definitely the superior headphone than the others, but the D1100 and the HFI 580 have more bass quantity, though may not extend as deep.

Quote:
If you want serious bass, consider the Denon D2000's. (buy a used pair) 

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #7 of 19
The 580s look right up my alley, price tag isn't perfect but tolerable.

The D2000s sound like a good choice too, but they look bulkier than what I'd prefer; I will be listening on the go and at home.

Would the 580s sound fine out of a portable source? I use two new HTC smartphones and my PC mostly; I'm not opposed to shelling out for a FiO E5 or something similar.

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #8 of 19
The 580 will be perfect out of a portable device.  The D2000 aren't meant for portable use; they require a good amp, are huge, and leak sound horribly.

Oct 31, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #10 of 19
580's are a solid reccomendation, especially without going into much higher price points, however, do not expect a huge soundstage.  They do far better than most bassy, closed headphones but they don't perform miracles.  If soundstage is more important than bass quantity, check out the Ultrasone Pro 550 instead.  They're a bit bigger, but still portable, offer a significantly better soundstage than the 580's at the expense of some bass.

Oct 31, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #11 of 19
Hmmm...well sound stage is pretty important to me, I don't mind sacrificing.a bit of quantity as long as the depth is there. I've heard cans like the XB 500 and was thoroughly unimpressed, they didn't even feel as super bass heavy to me as people often describe. All I heard was a lot of color and warmth, not really what I think of as "bass." I bought Phiaton MS400s because they were recommended to me on the basis of having high sound quality and good bass. They do have decent bass, but are very warm and dark and the sounds seem to bleed together, which disappoints me.

When I think of bass, I think of the beginning and interlude of Air Raid by Flux Pavillion: really deep, reverberating, face-shaking bass. If I can get that without excessive warmth and AKG-like soundstage, I am willing to wait and up my price point. Should I maybe just be waiting for 900s?

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #12 of 19
Sounds like the 580's will be a good fit for you, they have a very good sound profile for dubstep and such.  Their one weakness IMO is they lack great sub-bass extension, its there but definately a roll off below 30HZ, but that really only hurts old dubstep like Burial, and not that much.

Pro 900's have better soundstage and over-all sound quality than the 580's, I like to think of the 580's as baby 900's though.  Value-wise, I think the 580's are a better deal but if you have the $$ the 900's are definately better.  Also, you do lose portability as the cups are significantly larger and you really should have some sort of amp to go along with the 900's.

One thing I must note that if you go with any Ultrasones (esp 580's) long burn ins are necessary to tame highs and for the bass to tighten up.  Please don't judge them right out of the box.

Quote:
Hmmm...well sound stage is pretty important to me, I don't mind sacrificing.a bit of quantity as long as the depth is there. I've heard cans like the XB 500 and was thoroughly unimpressed, they didn't even feel as super bass heavy to me as people often describe. All I heard was a lot of color and warmth, not really what I think of as "bass." I bought Phiaton MS400s because they were recommended to me on the basis of having high sound quality and good bass. They do have decent bass, but are very warm and dark and the sounds seem to bleed together, which disappoints me.
When I think of bass, I think of the beginning and interlude of Air Raid by Flux Pavillion: really deep, reverberating, face-shaking bass. If I can get that without excessive warmth and AKG-like soundstage, I am willing to wait and up my price point. Should I maybe just be waiting for 900s?

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #13 of 19
I'd look into the HFI-2400, the S-logic stuff gives a nice and wide soundstage. (bass response is good as well)

Oct 31, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #14 of 19
I'd look into the HFI-2400, the S-logic stuff gives a nice and wide soundstage. (bass response is good as well)

Owning both the 780s and the 2400s, in my opinion, the 780s blow away the 2400s on every level except maybe comfort during extended (over 3 hours) listening periods. I love the 780s, more than my PRO 900s!

Oct 31, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
Owning both the 780s and the 2400s, in my opinion, the 780s blow away the 2400s on every level except maybe comfort during extended (over 3 hours) listening periods. I love the 780s, more than my PRO 900s!

Interesting. What's your music diet like? What do you want from your phones most? What other sets have you had?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back