Ultrasone HFI 780 and Audio Technica ESW9, and the HD25-1
Mar 25, 2008 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

adkimemory

Head-Fier
I really need closed headphones in my life, and I just love the HD25-1s I own.
But I was wondering, where is the next level of closed headphones??

Has anyone tried The Ultrasone HFI 780 and the Audio Technica ESW9???
does anyone know if they're a significant SQ improvement over the HD25-1??

Mar 25, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 14
I own ESW9 and HD25 once, and I think ESW9 will be more versatile.
HD25 is not bad but their sound signature is sometimes too strong depending on music. ESW9 has clear and smooth treble, good mid, and powerful tight bass, though it is not as strong as HD25.
I recommend ESW9s
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 14
I can't speak of the ESW9, but the 780 is a significant improvement over the HD25-1. IMO a few $200 phones (A900s also for instance) are an improvement over the Senn, but the HD25-1 sounds decent and sure got a nice compact body and well built for travel.

Mar 25, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 14
If you like the HD25-1, or Grados, you will probably like the HFI-780. But they require a ton a burn-in to tame the highs, and after 255 hours I gave up and got the ALOAudio mods with re-cable, diode board removal and dampening material in the cups. It made them a whole new headphone.

So, it is a mixed bag with the 780, and you either love them or hate them. I could never understand when people said that about the Proline 750/2500, but the HFI-780 are even more polarizing.

Mar 25, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #6 of 14
For what kind of music ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by adkimemory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really need closed headphones in my life, and I just love the HD25-1s I own.
But I was wondering, where is the next level of closed headphones??

Has anyone tried The Ultrasone HFI 780 and the Audio Technica ESW9???
does anyone know if they're a significant SQ improvement over the HD25-1??

Mar 25, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Miguel, what do you mean by "congested"?

I use the word in relation to the bass of the ESW9 where it just looses resolution and the sound simply gets muddy on some tracks. This has been noted many times by many experienced people.

I know some have said that the bass is great, if so, then that is great that they like their bass like this, but I am not one of them.

Mar 25, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #10 of 14
I was an HD25-1 owner, bought the ESW9's, and after a few weeks sold the HD25's. In terms of sound quality, the ESW9's are much better. They are more refined, smoother, and image better. Better bass, too. All IMO, of course.

The HD25-1's did isolate much, much better, though, so if isolation is important, that needs to be considered.

Mar 25, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #11 of 14
are there any leakage problems with any of them?? I know the HD25-1s are water tight

also, just a note: I love love to listen to piano music. This is a large problem with the HD25-1, because they don't really bring the piano to life.

Mar 25, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #12 of 14
When I first got the ESW9 two months ago, I though the ESW9 was clearly better than the HD 25-1. Now, I think it's a closer match especially because I like the Sennheiser voicing in general. Sounds more neutral to me and also has the more correct timbre for classical music. The ESW9 sounds quite coloured in comparison but most of the time I don't really mind. The ESW9 also kind of needs an amp. I still use the ESW9 more often because it's foldable and looks better in public.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have to yet to really like an Ultrasone headphone. Not my type of sound with the tipped up treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back