Ultrasone HFI 780: A True Step-up?
Mar 1, 2011 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DeatHaze

Head-Fier
What's up Head Fi I have a simple question for you; are the 780's a true step up from my ATH-PRO700GD?

From what I know my current cans (the 700's) sound pretty similar to M50's (though I'm not certain since I've never listened to a pair myself). I have some cash to blow and want an upgrade, and before you say Denon D2000 or BD DT 770 I've already ruled those two out. I personally need a closed, circumaural, pair of headphones <$300 to listen to electronic music (ie drum&bass, house, dubstep, etc) which means I need BIG BASS. I'll be running these out of my ipod into a FiiO e5 on the go at school most of the time, my current pair does have a pretty nasty low-end that blows my fellow dr dre owners' minds but I find its lacking the punch or hit of the bass, whereas its more of a deep rattling sound and I want a hard-hitting POW bass that's necessary for big dubstep tracks.

SO as I said my main question is if these [Ultrasone HFI 780] are a worthwile upgrade from my current 'phones.

Thank you all for any suggestions and insight since I cannot personally listen to them myself I'd hate to waste a few hundred on an extremely similair  pair of headphones.

Mar 1, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #3 of 11
The HFI-780 doesn't have the most bass I've heard in a headphone, but it does drop really deep, and it is really punchy.  Probably more punchy than my other bassy headphones (DBI Pro 700, AIAIAI TMA-1)

The K240s have never been known for having particularly punchy bass.

Mar 1, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
The HFI-780 doesn't have the most bass I've heard in a headphone, but it does drop really deep, and it is really punchy.  Probably more punchy than my other bassy headphones (DBI Pro 700, AIAIAI TMA-1)

The K240s have never been known for having particularly punchy bass.

What other reccomendations would you have for this $200-$300 price range then, other than the obvious ones which I've already ruled out (d2000,dt770, m50) ???

Mar 2, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #6 of 11
Mar 2, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #7 of 11
appreciate it man, but turns out I just bought a FiiO E7 with a LOD instead for less than $100, should keep me happy and still be good if i do upgrade to the next price range in the future :)

Mar 2, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #8 of 11
No problem!  Your PRO700GD really do look nice though, I bet they sound just as nice as they look!
biggrin.gif
  Do they really have a goldish tint to them?

Mar 2, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #9 of 11
Yeup they're the GD model only available in japan limited edition (got em off AC); they cost me a little bit more (not sure if there's a sound increase from the regs) but the looks I get from their unique style is worth it. The black and gold combo works nicely and I'm probably one of few who own these cans (In NA atleast) I cant even find pics or vids of them anywhere on the internet aside one of a female DJ in tawian.

here's a bigger look at them:

http://tinypic.com/a/25qtx/2

Mar 2, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #10 of 11
Nice!  Forget the Beats these are fashionable headphones to get! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back