Ultrasone HFI-680 vs Koss Pro DJ 100
Sep 25, 2010 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tdockweiler

Headphoneus Supremus
This is a mini-review of my experience comparing the Ultrasone HFi-680 to my Koss Pro DJ 100. I also have compared each with the SRH-840 and ATH-M50 on a scale of 1-10 to give people a general idea of what I think. I don't expect anyone to agree with me and that's OK! I wouldn't call this a review, just my impressions. I listened to both of these for about six hours tonight!

I bought the HFI-680 because I thought they may have the sound signature I'd like. At least close to what I prefer, but still being "fun" to listen to. I was so close to buying a Beyer Dynamic headphone, but I decided against it because I don't have a good enough amp to drive the 600 ohm version. I also wanted to TRY to avoid any recessed mids. I had the DT-880 and DT-990 32ohm versions in the past and am not a fan of them at all. I understand that the 250 or 600 ohm versions are much better. I just don't need another large headphone. I wanted something that would work straight out of my Ipod Touch.

I read some things saying the HFI-680 is a more neutral version of the HFI-780 and has less bass. I also took a risk on this because I don't like a headphone with any harsh highs. I love the sound out of my  SR-80, but the highs can fatigue my ears FAST. I'm probably more sensitive to this then some people. After burning these in i'm glad the highs don't bother me too much. They're almost at the exact point where they would bug me. Some Pearl Jam stuff bothers me with these headphones sometimes, but I can deal with it.

I do like a decent amount of bass on my headphones. The HD-600 and Triple Fi 10 have the perfect amount to me. The Denon D2000, Shure SRH-750DJ and Audio Technica ATH-M50 had too much for me. Shure SRH-840 is close to what I like, but I wish it did have a little bit more bass.

One reason I thought the HFI-680 would be worth buying is that they're fairly small, closed, look well built and can be used straight out of an Ipod touch (but sounds best with an amp of course).

It took me about 3 days to pull the trigger on these. I was perfectly happy with my Koss Pro DJ 100's, but I wanted something that was a little more comfortable and didn't require an amp. I don't like the DJ 100's without an amp and refuse to use them without one. The comfort is OK on them, much better then the SRH-840, but maybe not as comfortable as the ATH-M50, but far lighter and smaller.

I also made the mistake of saying the Koss Pro DJ 100 had a ton of bass. They don't and it has about the same amount of bass as the SRH-840, but maybe a tad less. I guess for people that like a lot of bass, they'd be considered bass light. I don't really agree at all. They actually sound decent with the Itunes Bass Boost EQ! Not the Ipod Touch's version though for some reason.

Lately i've been loving the sound out of the Grado SR-80. I wanted something that took the mids of the SR-80, but offered more bass, better imaging, soundstage, comfort and maybe had less fatiguing highs. I definitely wasn't expecting the HFI-680 to sound like a Grado, but have a least a few of my requirements.

Here's a few general comments on the HFI-680.

Comfort:

These are not very comfortable I hate to admit. The pads are hard pleather and not soft at all. There is a lot of clamp (more then the HD-600) and I even have a small head and had this effect. I imagine that once they break in the pads will get softer and there will be less clamp.

SOUND:

I guess the sound signature would be like a smiley face I guess. I heard people say it does not have any recessed mids, but I think it does a little. The mids are on par with the ATH-M50. It has less bass then the ATH-M50, but this is what I prefer. The amount of bass is just about perfect. I love it. A few times I was listening to some songs and thought "This has too much bass" but that's just how the song sounds on a lot of headphones.

If the amount of bass is a deciding factor for you, the ATH-M50 and HFI-680 blows away the Koss. I just prefer a neutral headphone, but sometimes one that's more fun with a bit more bass. I don't find the ATH-M50 and HFI-680 neutral AT ALL, but I knew this beforehand.

Koss Pro DJ 100

COMFORT:

These are very "bare bones" which I like a lot. They're very light, but comfort could be improved. These feel nearly indestructible!

SOUND:

Imagine a Grado SR-80 with more bass, less fatiguing highs and a better soundstage. The overall sound is very similar, but the Pro DJ 100 is more neutral. I compared them side by side for hours a week ago. In the end I found that acoustic guitars may sound slightly better on the SR-80. Like my Triple Fi 10 the DJ 100 doesn't do too much of any one thing. One of the best thing about this headphone is the level of detail and how natural everything sounds. It's not as detailed as the ATH-AD700 or DT-880, but just a step below that.

My #1 favorite thing about this is the forward sounding vocals. Not to sound cheesy, but they're crystal clear. Best vocals out of any headphone i've heard under $200. I haven't heard the ESW10 (or 9) yet, but I think this would be the perfect headphone for female vocals. I listen to a lot of Jpop and it's perfect for that. I imagine that this headphone (like the SRH-840) has a slight bump in the mid-range.

These may not be the best for metal or rap I imagine, but i'm not sure. I just do know that it's perfect for Radiohead and Imogen Heap. I don't have a clue why it's called the "Pro DJ". The silly box is labeled as it having "Extreme bass response"! Not even close. It's more like what i'd consider a studio monitoring headphone.

Soundstage and instrument separation/imaging is the best i've heard under $200. The soundstage is better then the SRH-840 and ATH-M50 easily. Not sure about the AD700 and HD-555, but probably no way. I just think the soundstage is very, very good for a closed headphone.

Despite this, they're kind of bad for movies. I'd never use these for movies, but for games they were really good, except for the stupid coiled cable. I tried the ATH-M50 and the Pro DJ 100 with "The Matrix" and they were just plain bad for movies compared to an open headphone like the HD-600.

Sadly, this needs a GOOD amp to sound great. I don't know why this is and these are only 38ohm. They sound like garbage out of my ipod touch and E5. My Total Airhead is a PERFECT match for them.

(BTW these use Koss Titanium drivers)

RATINGS (1-10, 10 being best):

Ultrasone HFI-680

Sound Quality Overall: 7.25/10
Build Quality: 9
Comfort: 6.5
Value: 6/10 (Sounds like a $130 headphone, but you're paying for the good build quality and small size maybe)

Koss Pro DJ 100

Sound Quality Overall: 9/10
Build Quality: 8/10 (good despite it's cheap price!)
Comfort: 7.5/10
Value: 10 (Best $80 I've ever spent)

For comparison:

(Used M50 for 3-4 Months. SRH-840 for about 6)

Shure SRH-840

Sound Quality Overall: 8.5/10
Build Quality: 7.5/10
Comfort: 4/10 (too heavy and impossible to use with a small head)
Value: 6 (if you can get them for $130, change that to a 8. These are NOT worth $200!)

Audio Technica ATH-M50

Sound Quality Overall: 8/10
Build Quality: 8/10
Comfort: 8/10
Value: 9

NOTES:
(feel free to ignore this. Just some random notes I took. Maybe they don't even make any sense)

Clear the Area - Imogen Heap

HFI-680

Air swirling around the listening position is hard to determine where it's coming from.
The "rumble" at :010 is there and felt, but the beating sound in the background is very recessed and hard to hear.

:026 Piano and vocals are clear and there is a large echo, which is normal.

:045 at this point, when the song gets louder, vocals seem to get drowned out a bit.

1:15 Piano is now very difficult to hear and pushed way into the background.

Not really fun to listen to and kind of like a big mess of sound.

Koss Pro DJ 100

Swirling air has more texture and is super easy to spot where it is.
The beating sound each second is much more forward. The echo is even larger and lasts longer.

0:26 The piano and vocals are crystal clear and couldn't be better. Much more forward and closer to the listening position it seems like.

0:45 When this song gets louds, the vocals are still clear.

1:15 Piano is now difficult to hear and I think this is how it's meant to be.

1:25 At this point, repeated words come from different directions, both left and right. On the HFI-680  you barely notice them.

2:50 Sounds like a long rumble followed by someone hitting a ball with a racquet.

3:20 Different people's voices here that I didn't notice on the HFI-680!! From left and then right.

4:10 The echo at the end lasts a very long time.

Everything just felt "right" with the Pro DJ 100. Poor soundstage of the HFI-680 ruined it.
I think maybe some bad instrument separation also didn't help.

Slumdog Millionaire Soundtrack "Liquid Dance"

This is one of my favorite songs to play on a headphone to test them out.

HFI-680

The voice at the start moving very fast from left to right is more recessed and it's harder to spot the position on the HFI-680.

:12 I feel like I'm being surrounded by a wave of sound (over my head) while someone is breaking down my door. The bass on the HFI-680 really helps this song a lot.

1:45 During this section you feel a rumble that feels more as if it's coming from outside my actual headphone. Could have swore I felt it in my FEET however that's possible!

Pro DJ 100

The voice is more clear and easier to spot. I'm always impressed by how it does this type of thing better then my other headphones.

:12 Due to the reduced bass on the Pro DJ 100, you don't feel this part as much, but it still sounds good.

1:45 That rumble is there, but strangely, this time you don't feel it as much as on HFI-680

Utada Hikaru - ASAP

HFI-680

:015 Everything is completely drowning out the vocals and I can barely make them out.

:051 Vocals still hard to hear, probably due to the bass on this song.

Perhaps one of the most annoying Utada Hikaru songs. Even the vocals hurt my ears. Not sure if it's just these headphones. Painful just to listen to.

Pro DJ 100

:015 Vocals are still hard to hear and I think it's just how this song was mastered. Still a bit more clear though.

I'm Still Here - Cady Groves

HFI-780

Acoustic Guitar Left, Center vocals, Right Percussion. Lots of Echos. Everything is somewhat clear, but vocals still feel a tad distant. Percussion instrument on right is  clear, despite being further away.

After listening to the Pro DJ 100 and then the HFI-680 again, i've found the guitar and instrument on the right far more distant and pushed more into the background on the HFI-680. Not good. Everything feels a bit less balanced out. Everything on the HFI-680 feels a bit more flat and boring.

EDIT: Fingers snapping on the HFI-680 is VERY hard to hear, some of them are even gone!

:37 Tamborine is nearly impossible to hear and doesn't sound accurate.

Pro DJ 100

Take everything above and move it all much closer to the listening position. There is less separation between the instruments for some reason on these headphones, which actually makes it sound better with this particular song. Acoustic guitar on the left is very clear. I also just now realized someone is snapping their fingers during this song. Didn't notice this on the HFI-680. Vocals are a lot more clear and everything goes well together.

:37 Tamborine is used, but it's very silent and in the background. I think this is how it was intended. Silent, but not that hard to hear.

The Red Violin Soundtrack "The Theft"

HFI-680

At the start of this song you have this  deep rumble of "doom" that goes on for a long time. It's a bit missing on the Pro DJ 100 until the "Bass Booster" is enabled. Even without that on the HFI-680 it's there and sounds great. You definitely feel it too.

This is one weakness of the Pro DJ 100 without an EQ setting.

Love Aaj Kal Soundtrack / Pritam / Thoda Thoda Pyar ("Bollywood" movie)

This starts off with a large group of people singing and dancing all at once. On the HFI-680 it's just as if you put all the sound into one huge blob. You can't tell where it's coming from, can't tell what's what. Basically it's an unlistenable mess.

On the Pro DJ 100 it's a hundred times easier to make sense of it all and where everyone is. Makes the Pro DJ 100 feel pretty impressive to me.

Radiohead / "Nude"

HFI-680

:45 The bass during this part feels as if it ruins the whole song. Don't think it's meant to sound this bad. Basically this whole song was unpleasant to listen to. Hurt my ears.

Pro DJ 100

:45 Bass sounds just as bad on these headphones. Guess it's meant to sound like that. I need to listen to this album a few more dozen times I think.

Pearl Jam "Of the Girl"

HFI-680

Everything seems so extremely far away. Like some things are shoved off into a corner. The bass at the start just seems a bit bloated and un-natural. Vocals are a bit hard to hear and sound almost a bit muffled. I just can't get how everything seems so far apart. Not in a good way at all. Sadly, this is the second worst song i've heard played on the HFI-680. First song that made me think "I definitely should return these" (edit: not the headphones fault after all).

Pro DJ 100

Strangely this song sounds strange even on this headphone. Sounds like it's recorded inside a....bowling alley. No joke. Everything is soooo distant. On both headphones. Guess that's just the way it's supposed to sound.

Chara / "Duca" (live)

HFI-680

Soundstage is just totally WAY off here. Feels as if I'm listening to a surround sound speaker setup, but the center speaker is GONE, but everything just sounds "wrong". Sure as heck doesn't feel like a live performance at all. Other then this, it sounds just fine. Nothing else that bad worth pointing out.

Koss Pro DJ 100

This is how a live song should sound like. Everything seems more balanced here and it's much more fun to listen to. Much easier to hear the audience clapping too, not that it's always a good thing.

Eddie Vedder / "Rise"

HFI-680

I had to listen to this song several times. The only thing I can say is that on the HFI-680 is that his ukulele is a bit more brighter and this makes it twice as annoying to listen to. The vocals are also a tad harder to hear.

Koss Pro DJ 100

I won't lie, i've never heard a ukulele in "real life", but his ukulele just "seems" to sound more natural with these headphones. As least what I think one would sound like.

Oct 21, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 5
How long did you burn in the 680s for?

Oct 21, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #4 of 5
Ah, well don't Ultrasones generally require a ton of burn in?

Oct 22, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
Ah, well don't Ultrasones generally require a ton of burn in?

Not all of them.  My 580s burned in little if any quite quickly.  My Pro 2500s are a completely different story.  I assume the Titanium plated drivers played a part.  Just a guess.  Those took me about a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back