Ultrasone HFI-650 review
Nov 5, 2002 at 2:08 PM Post #2 of 5
If you go to Babelfish, on AltaVista, and plug in the URL for the "review," you'll see that the review is 99.9% press release from the manufacturer.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Nov 5, 2002 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 5
Well, apart from the last paragraph the article is mainly about measuring and testing methods as well as headphone-typical humps and bumps in the frequency response. The last paragraph claims the HFI-650 to have a not overblown bass, linear mids and neutral highs - something that, according to the author, only open headphones have achieved before...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Nov 5, 2002 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 5
Florian M. König, the author of the article, is Chief Technology Officer ("Vorstand Technik") at Ultrasone AG.

He holds a patent on a System for the Frontal Localization of Auditory Events Produced by Stereo Headphones from 1998 which can be downloaded from the HeadWize library.

Jan Meier recommends something similar concerning headphone or driver placement. I have never listened to Ultrasone headphones, but my results with the low-and-to-the front headphone placement haven't been convincing. Imaging is improved through this, but the sound becomes rather fatiguing as well. There seems to be less balance throughout the frequency range and less cohesion. It seems to me that the most natural pinnae effects are achieved when the headphone's driver is as far away from the ear-canal as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back