Ultrasone HFI 580 or 780 with unamped iPod?
Aug 4, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #31 of 39
Reviving this dead thread, the original question was never answered.

I too am asking myself whether to get the HFI 580 or 780.

I don't care about the Pro 750 as it's too expensive...
(If money wouldn't matter I'd get the Pro 900!)

Aug 4, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #32 of 39
I've read some of the positive first impressions of the Zino, I think maybe you shouldn't get the HFI 580 or 780 or Pro 900. The full-sized headphones probably can sound much better than the Zino with better gear, but imo my iCans (and thus probably its successor Zino also) straight out of an mp3 player shares some qualities of my home setup which costs about 20x as much (not when we're talking about pure detail/imaging though hehe). Fun-factor wise my iCans are pretty darn good and unless you're going to get a dedicated source and amp to go with one of the HFI's I don't think they will be much of an upgrade over your Zino.

Nov 27, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, they sound great {i wanted that i had good the drivers [to use with the Fiio (They will give the weight that the mid/high midbass and highbass needed...), that i never use with]}

do the dt770 have more bass than the dt880 and also how does the dt770 basss compare to the hfi780 and 580 comparatively?

Nov 27, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #34 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, all headphones "should" be used with an amp. I owned the Proline 650 and used it from my PC, and although it was awesome with bass heavy music at high volumes, if owning it again I definitely would amp and mod it. However, the Prolines are geared more for critical listening, whereas I think the HFI models are geared more for fun. Without an amp and from an ipod, I'd go with the HFI580. If amping, even with only a Fiio, then it would be a tougher choice for me between the HFI580 and HFI780.

great post, this just pinpoints my dilema, go witht he 580 or the 780,
id like more bass punch, and theyll be amped with my d10, but it seems 580 have a 50mm driver and the 780 have a 40mm driver,, from past experiecnce the bigger driver obviously has more bass, but im sure this isnt always the case, some have also said that the 780 isnt an improvement just a different sound signature,,
also ive read i tseems the 780 take a real long burn in is this the same case for the 580 and indeed for all ultrasone cans,, ican tell you that the denon 7000 need a descent burn to enhcane and even their sound, and they are great.

thanks

anyone who done direct comparison between the 580 780 and 680 are welcome to chime in and help this headfier out ,,, eh

Nov 27, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #35 of 39
Yes. The bass in the HFI-780 stock is of a much better quality, but a lot less quantity than the DT770pro/80. Both the lowest bass and midbass.
Quote:

Originally Posted by techenvy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do the dt770 have more bass than the dt880 and also how does the dt770 basss compare to the hfi780 and 580 comparatively?

Yeah, this isn't always the case. My new modded HFI-780 have more bass quantity/slam than my bassy modded/transplanted beyers...
Quote:

Originally Posted by techenvy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.... but it seems 580 have a 50mm driver and the 780 have a 40mm driver,, from past experiecnce the bigger driver obviously has more bass, but im sure this isnt always the case, some have also said that the 780 isnt an improvement just a different sound signature,,
also ive read i tseems the 780 take a real long burn in is this the same case for the 580 and indeed for all ultrasone cans,, ican tell you that the denon 7000 need a descent burn to enhcane and even their sound, and they are great.

thanks

anyone who done direct comparison between the 580 780 and 680 are welcome to chime in and help this headfier out ,,, eh

Nov 27, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #36 of 39
what type of mods to the hfi?

Nov 28, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #37 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not know what's wrong with your iPod or amp or the recordings to which you listen or which ever part of your audio chain but, there is absolutely no truth that the bass sounds "muddy" on the Pro 750 regardless of where the volume is set. Actually, the bass on the Pro 750 is definitely the most distinct I've ever heard on a headphone. Remember, the Pro 750 is a very revealing headphone. The GIGO rule definitely applies with them because they are not what you would call a "forgiving" headphone. With them, as long as the rest of your audio chain is "correct", you will hear, in the sense of the frequencies, that which the recording sound engineer intended for you to hear.

so whats soudns better and has more punch the hfi 780 or the pro 750

i

Nov 28, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #38 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not know what's wrong with your iPod or amp or the recordings to which you listen or which ever part of your audio chain but, there is absolutely no truth that the bass sounds "muddy" on the Pro 750 regardless of where the volume is set. Actually, the bass on the Pro 750 is definitely the most distinct I've ever heard on a headphone. Remember, the Pro 750 is a very revealing headphone. The GIGO rule definitely applies with them because they are not what you would call a "forgiving" headphone. With them, as long as the rest of your audio chain is "correct", you will hear, in the sense of the frequencies, that which the recording sound engineer intended for you to hear.

so which wins in bass punch and overall performance the hfi 780 or the pro line 750,, i cant make my mind up i wish they had fewer dang options

Nov 28, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #39 of 39
Last I checked pro 750 could be had pretty cheap if you shopped around. If you can get the pro 750 at near the price of the hfi-780, definitely just go for the pro 750 for more detail and cotton mod it if necessary to tame any shrillness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back