Ultrasone HFI-2400 Vs. Audio Technica ATHESW9
Oct 30, 2012 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

QU0TE

Head-Fier
I narrowed it down to these two headphones for my first (higher end) headphones, and I was wondering if anyone who's had experience with these could give me a little advice on which to pick. I listen to alot of Classical and jazz, and also music like Mumford & Sons (not really sure what genre they are). I also don't have an amplifier at this time but I might get one in the future, but for now I'm stuck with just a 5th generation iPod touch. 

Oct 30, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:
I narrowed it down to these two headphones for my first (higher end) headphones, and I was wondering if anyone who's had experience with these could give me a little advice on which to pick. I listen to alot of Classical and jazz, and also music like Mumford & Sons (not really sure what genre they are). I also don't have an amplifier at this time but I might get one in the future, but for now I'm stuck with just a 5th generation iPod touch. 

Heya,

They're pretty different. The HFI2400 is open air and around-the-ear. The ESW9A is closed back and on-ear. The HFI2400 has a better sound stage, ultimately more comfortable, more durable, bigger, better materials in the build quality, velour pads, it's pretty bassy, but not over the top, good mids, treble is bright, but not overly bright like closed back Ultrasones tend to be. It's actually a great headphone. Cable is detachable. The ESW9A is great sounding, very smooth, rich, organic, warm, with natural sounding vocals and warm good deep bass, treble is not tizzy or hot or anything, but it's not dark either. But, it's less comfortable, sitting on your ears, and the build quality is pretty awful, it's very flimsy, small plastic pieces, and the cable is tiny tiny and very thin and very short. I love the ESW9A, but the build quality and materials used are a real let down considering it's cost. I would put you on the HFI2400 in a heart beat.

Very best,

Oct 30, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 15
Both are dark cans, the 2400 is slower and muddier by comparison, but has better staging and more bass. The ESW9 offer isolation, and are lighter - they're about equal in comfort imho. I like the ESW9 better for jazz, acoustic, vocalists, singer/songwriter/etc, the HFI-2400 for grunge, metal, thrash, etc. For gaming or movies, I'd preference the 2400 as well - better staging and bass slam. For musicality and natural-ness, or if you want to go beyond wub-wubs, I'd take the ESW9.

I don't consider either "flimsy" at all, but the ESW9 do have wood cups, which won't take mobile (ab)use very well.

Oct 30, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #5 of 15
How do the 2400s sound un amplified? And I wish there was some place near me I could try them both out... I really listen to heavy rock/metal/electronic music so I kind of want a more natural sound, but the lack of portability and durability if the esw9s has me leaning towards the 2400s. Are there any headphones with the sound of the esw9s that are in the same price range and would be more portable?

Oct 30, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #6 of 15
How do the 2400s sound un amplified? And I wish there was some place near me I could try them both out... I really listen to heavy rock/metal/electronic music so I kind of want a more natural sound, but the lack of portability and durability if the esw9s has me leaning towards the 2400s. Are there any headphones with the sound of the esw9s that are in the same price range and would be more portable?

HFI-2400 are not portable, they're open-backed. ESW9 are portable, one of the best portables ever made imho - but IEMs are still my go-to for real mobility.

Oct 30, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #7 of 15
In ear phones hurt my ears for some reason, maybe it's just the cheap ones that hurt, but I don't really want to spend a ton of money to find out that they are painful... And for portability I would just take them on car rides and a few other things if that makes a difference.

Oct 30, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #8 of 15
Devils advocate: T-50P, very portable, well built and after 100 hours sound fantastic

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
Man, it's so hard to make a decision >_< It's hard enough as it is, and one of those people that have trouble making decisions already...

Heya,

If what you seek is something portable, then simply look for something closed back, durable, and efficient to drive (unless you're willing to pick up a portable amp too).

Some suggestions to explore:

Ultrasone HFI 580, 780 & PRO 750
Beyer DT770 PRO
Brainwavz HM5
Vmoda M80, LP2, or M100
Sony MDR1R
AKG K550, K167
Shure SRH840

Very best,

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #15 of 15
I currently own the HFI 2200. they are said to have the same driver and specs as the 2400. i got a good deal on them but was not able to cancel an earlier order on the pair of HFI 2400's. I enjoy the open and wide soundstage, great bass for open cans but like others have said, not really for portable use. outside sound leaks in and music because crowded with outside sound.

I run them on an E7 from my computer for the DAC and they get a good bass boost response from being amped vs from the ipod. I am selling my pair of HFI 2400, special ordered from B&H photo video completely unused and still in the box they sent me. PM if you want to purchase them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back