Ultrasone HFi 2400 review
Aug 1, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #31 of 52
Quote:
I am really tempted to get the HFI 2400 but I'm afraid the bass will be too much for me, and in that case are the DT 880 a better option? I don't want a boring sound, and I prefer imaging over soundstage. I listen mainly to folk and rock. Maybe the Grados SR325is are a good option aswell, but the HFI are at a really good price in amazon!

Well HFI-2400's are fun. They have a lot of bass, and its clearly a bass driven sound signature when you listen to them, but its NEVER too much bass, it doesn't become muddy or uncontrolled, or bleed into mids. It's not like HD650's for example where bass totally takes over the sound and it often puts a bass guitar in front of the vocals for example. Its just heavy bass, but separate from the rest of the sound.

BUT, the longer I listen to the DT880's, more I realize what it means to have good bass, instead of a lot of bass. The texture, control, detail in the bass region is just in a completely different league compared to any other of my headphones.  Also, DT880's are not bass light by any means.  They actually have more low bass presence than HD650's and HFI-2400's, and only a tiny little bit less punch than HD650's.  But the thing about DT880's bass is that if feels so effortless. On both 2400's and 650's, it feels often, especially at high volumes, like drivers are being forced a lot to produce that bass, while DT880's really produced that sub-bass effortlessly, it always feels like no matter how loud I listen, I could always crank up the volume higher, while in other two headphones I always fear if I go higher, its gonna distort.

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #32 of 52
Quote:

Well HFI-2400's are fun. They have a lot of bass, and its clearly a bass driven sound signature when you listen to them, but its NEVER too much bass, it doesn't become muddy or uncontrolled, or bleed into mids. It's not like HD650's for example where bass totally takes over the sound and it often puts a bass guitar in front of the vocals for example. Its just heavy bass, but separate from the rest of the sound.

BUT, the longer I listen to the DT880's, more I realize what it means to have good bass, instead of a lot of bass. The texture, control, detail in the bass region is just in a completely different league compared to any other of my headphones.  Also, DT880's are not bass light by any means.  They actually have more low bass presence than HD650's and HFI-2400's, and only a tiny little bit less punch than HD650's.  But the thing about DT880's bass is that if feels so effortless. On both 2400's and 650's, it feels often, especially at high volumes, like drivers are being forced a lot to produce that bass, while DT880's really produced that sub-bass effortlessly, it always feels like no matter how loud I listen, I could always crank up the volume higher, while in other two headphones I always fear if I go higher, its gonna distort.

Thanks! it seems I can't go wrong with both of them... "effortless bass" kind of convinces me though. How do they compare in detail retrieval?

Aug 1, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #33 of 52
Quote:

Thanks! it seems I can't go wrong with both of them... "effortless bass" kind of convinces me though. How do they compare in detail retrieval?

They're about equal in detail retrieval. Honestly, I don't really hear any differences in terms of details, there's nothing I can hear on one that I cant on the other.  It's just that DT880's have much smoother highs, its becoming pretty evident as I listen them that they're warmer, smoother and more refined than Ultrasones.

Aug 2, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #34 of 52
I will have to disagree with the bass performance of DT-880. It is too slow to be realistic. It has texture yes, but zero punch. What you call "effortless", I will call missing dimensionality. It needs a very good amp (Beyerdynamic A1 or Jan Meier Corda Rock) to give the bass at least a little depth.
Timbre is good and the bass is great with Classical music, but for all other genres I miss energy/fun/punch. The music just doesn't feel alive.

As for control, I think it is easily outperformed by the quickness of even a L1, Z1000 or HFI-780 (not to mention PRO 900 or T1). Not bad, but I'd be surprised to see the HFI-2400 perform not as good. Might be worth a purchase just to find out. :)

Aug 2, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #35 of 52
Quote:
I will have to disagree with the bass performance of DT-880. It is too slow to be realistic. It has texture yes, but zero punch. What you call "effortless", I will call missing dimensionality. It needs a very good amp (Beyerdynamic A1 or Jan Meier Corda Rock) to give the bass at least a little depth.
Timbre is good and the bass is great with Classical music, but for all other genres I miss energy/fun/punch. The music just doesn't feel alive.

As for control, I think it is easily outperformed by the quickness of even a L1, Z1000 or HFI-780 (not to mention PRO 900 or T1). Not bad, but I'd be surprised to see the HFI-2400 perform not as good. Might be worth a purchase just to find out. :)

I would totally disagree. About "zero punch"....zero punch is 90% of the punch that HD650 has in my case. More than enough and would not make any person think of it as bass light. Bass on my DT880's is very quick and punchy, faster than any of my other headphones, including HFi2400. I don't really know what you mean by slow...slow how? As in not fast enough to reproduce music as it should? Missing the beats in music? Too much reverberation or too long to react? If that's it, then its utter nonsense in the case of my DT880's, because its the complete opposite. Same as some people claim HD650's are too slow for certain types of music...which is again utter nonsense. DT880 just hasn't got quite as much weight to the punch as HD650 or Hfi2400, but those two have too much to be neutral anyway, and I think DT880 has the perfect amount of weight. As far as speed goes, not once have I though that its slow, in fact, I've been impressed by the speed and control of the bass from the very beginning. For me bass on DT880's is almost perfect in every single sense, and by far the best bass of any headphone I've heard to far. It's the best thing about them apart from comfort IMHO.

Aug 4, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #36 of 52
I also don't call the DT-880 bass light. The amount is correct, but what I mean is that the bass feels very soft. For many genres (Hip-Hop, Electro, Rock, ...) bass should not only be audible but also be felt physically. Like for some Rap, I don't really want to listen to the beat. I just want the rhythm of the beat be picked up sub-consciously and see what the artist does with it. This is not possible with DT-880.

With "slow" I mean long decay. OK, it's not unrealistic or as bad as I made it initially sound, but personally I prefer some quickness. :)
This is easily apparent when comparing DT-880 with T1 (and apparently T90).

We can continue this discussion in the DT-880 600 ohms appreciation thread, if you want... or I just buy a T90! :D

Aug 5, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #37 of 52
Quote:
I also don't call the DT-880 bass light. The amount is correct, but what I mean is that the bass feels very soft. For many genres (Hip-Hop, Electro, Rock, ...) bass should not only be audible but also be felt physically. Like for some Rap, I don't really want to listen to the beat. I just want the rhythm of the beat be picked up sub-consciously and see what the artist does with it. This is not possible with DT-880.

With "slow" I mean long decay. OK, it's not unrealistic or as bad as I made it initially sound, but personally I prefer some quickness. :)
This is easily apparent when comparing DT-880 with T1 (and apparently T90).

We can continue this discussion in the DT-880 600 ohms appreciation thread, if you want... or I just buy a T90! :D

I can feel the bass on mine as much or more than on the HD650's.  DT880's are actually the only opened headphones that really have that sub bass rumble that can be felt.  And on mine its faster than on HD650's or the HFi2400, or Q701's. It's very punchy, but with perfect amount of slam. HD650's for example have too much slam. Area at 120 hz is 10db higher than area at 50 hz, that's not good.  DT880's are pretty much flat in bass area, with only slight roll off. In fact the DT880's have identical frequency response curve as the HD800's up to 1,500 hz. Another headphones that for some have perfect bass, for some not enough.

IMHO, DT880's have the perfect amount, quality, texture, speed, presence of bass of any headphone I've heard.  It's as if someone took the HD650's and Q701's, and said "ok, they're both slightly wrong, lets make it right", and gave bass with punch close to HD650's, more texture than both, more extension than both, more detail than both, and much more sub bass presence than both.

Sep 17, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #41 of 52
Hey,

For purely movie watching and single player gaming (mass effect/skyrim), would you prefer your dt880 or hfi 2400?

I am looking for a cinematic experience with rich, deep, and textured sound + a large soundstage. 

Dt880 or hfi 2400 for immersion?

Thanks so much!

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #42 of 52
Quote:
Hey,

For purely movie watching and single player gaming (mass effect/skyrim), would you prefer your dt880 or hfi 2400?

I am looking for a cinematic experience with rich, deep, and textured sound + a large soundstage. 

Thanks so much!

To be honest I don't use any of them for gaming, but if I had to pick one I'd take the DT880. I think its a better headphone than Hfi2400 in general, that is clearly audible when taking the Hfi2400 off and putting on the DT880. Smoother, more neutral sound, bigger soundstage, everything sounds more real and clear.

Sep 18, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #43 of 52
Hey,

Thanks so much!

I would vote HFI-2400 here, or any other somewhat bassy headphone with a good soundstage. They aren't "accurate" but they're "fun" if that makes sense.

derbigpr,

Have you tried PRO2900?

Sep 18, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #44 of 52
Quote:
I would vote HFI-2400 here, or any other somewhat bassy headphone with a good soundstage. They aren't "accurate" but they're "fun" if that makes sense.
derbigpr,
Have you tried PRO2900?

Tried playing some Battlefield 3 and I definitely prefer the DT880, by far. It's much more open sounding, and I can really sense the space and atmosphere. Also, gunshots sound very crisp, fast and LOUD, very loud. On HFi2400 they're somewhat softened and muddy in comparison.

I haven't tried the Pro2900 yet.

Sep 18, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #45 of 52
Tried playing some Battlefield 3 and I definitely prefer the DT880, by far. It's much more open sounding, and I can really sense the space and atmosphere. Also, gunshots sound very crisp, fast and LOUD, very loud. On HFi2400 they're somewhat softened and muddy in comparison.

While I'm no Beyer fan, this is roughly how I felt the 2400 stacked against the K701 or MDR-SA5000 as well. For competitive games, I'm not a huge fan of the 2400 (and would preference the more accurate/crisp cans). But for kicking back and playing Fallout or Portal or whatever else, the 2400's are much more enjoyable. The bass impact and the smoothness are to their advantage. Same reason I liked the HD 580 more than the 701 or SA5000 for that kind of gameplay.

I haven't tried the Pro2900 yet.

Ah. I think you might find them to your liking! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back