Ultrasone HFI-15G owners
Oct 7, 2007 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

captian73

Headphoneus Supremus
are there any Ultrasone HFI-15G owners out there? if so can you give me your experiences of these headphones, and if you want to trade them for a pair of Super.fi 5EB's give me a shout.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...04#post3336304

but i just want to hear your experiences. What are they like, how do they compare to any other headphones you have? etc, etc.

Oct 7, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 14
I tried a HFI-15G a few years ago, and I was pleasantly surprised.
It held its own against the Beyer DT231, which I like very much.

The Ultrasone was comfortable and nicely put together.
A very nice portable headphone.
Just too bad it isn't closed.

Oct 8, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #3 of 14
I also have the HFI-15G. It's very detailed, has good bass kick but the mids are slightly recessed. Great for shoegaze/industrial/electronica. Build quality is a little cheap and the cord is very long. I think they were designed for PC/gaming use. They're extremely comfortable.

May 1, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #5 of 14
yes Brook, HFI-15G are made for gaming...
wink.gif

May 1, 2008 at 8:43 AM Post #6 of 14
apart from the S- Logic thing, they seem the most unlikely headphones for gaming! but i believe you, but they don't don't look the type.

May 1, 2008 at 10:49 AM Post #7 of 14
I enjoy my HFI-15G a lot and take them with me on every business trip
smily_headphones1.gif
They are the most comfy headphones I ever had and love them with my tube amp listening especially to Jazz, Blues and so on.

I am about to get a second pair
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #8 of 14
Very lightweight cans but a tight fitting headband! I found out that the "nominal headband pressure is 5,2N." To put this in perspective, a full size Byerdynamic headphone has a nominal headband pressure of 2,5N. I have bent the hell out of the headband (it's metal under the "leather sleeve") to try to make them comfortable. I would love to hear from anyone who has experience the same problem with the HFI-15G. Otherwise, a very fine sounding set of cans. Thanks.

Oct 26, 2008 at 8:26 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Semifitoldman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very lightweight cans but a tight fitting headband! I found out that the "nominal headband pressure is 5,2N." To put this in perspective, a full size Byerdynamic headphone has a nominal headband pressure of 2,5N. I have bent the hell out of the headband (it's metal under the "leather sleeve") to try to make them comfortable. I would love to hear from anyone who has experience the same problem with the HFI-15G. Otherwise, a very fine sounding set of cans. Thanks.

thanks for your input. It sounds like it suffers from a Grado style comfort problem. For me, the Grado comfort problem was compounded by the ear pads. I tried the 'bending' mod (on the Grado) but the comfort was never really there.

My Senn HD25-1's clamp like crazy, and so do my HD650's, but because the ear pads, its a pleasant experience.

Maybe the Ultrasone need different pads. Anyway, i'm still very curious. I'm seriously thinking of getting a pair. I want to compare them to my iCans, which are a touch disappointing in the midrange.

Jan 11, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #10 of 14
Getting a pair in the mail today for my birthday.
I'll do some A/B testing with my 20th anniversary HD414s and report back here.

I'm hoping that these are the modern replacement for the HD414s. I'm not
convinced about the Sennheiser PX100-II as many people complain that the bass is boomy.

more soon

JL

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #11 of 14
It's been a while since i've been here, however i did get a pair of HFI-15G's and defined them as

1) one of the best portable headphones i've ever heard around £100 mark - compared with the AKG K450, Sennheiser HD438, Jays C-jays

2) one of the most comfortable headphones i've ever owned.

However, build quality is not its forte. If the 15G's had the looks and build quality of the awful Zino headphones, then they'd be near unbeatable in my book.

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #12 of 14
Sad to say they didn't work out for me. There were 2 issues:

The left-ear driver buzzed/rattled >100 HZ. It was especially noticable with low Bass lines.
A little Italian engineering seemed to mostly fix the rattle. Played loud tone sweeps. Slapped it
at 100HZ. :wink:

But they didn't have the tone I like. I think the S-Logic ends up muddying up the lower midrange
and then it just nosedives the treble at the high end. Anyway didn't have that holographic sound that
the nearly 20 year old Sennheiser HD-414s have. Sigh.

I'll see how these sound next:

JL

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #13 of 14
Sad to say they didn't work out for me. There were 2 issues:

The left-ear driver buzzed/rattled >100 HZ. It was especially noticable with low Bass lines.
A little Italian engineering seemed to mostly fix the rattle. Played loud tone sweeps. Slapped it
at 100HZ. :wink:

But they didn't have the tone I like. I think the S-Logic ends up muddying up the lower midrange
and then it just nosedives the treble at the high end. Anyway didn't have that holographic sound that
the nearly 20 year old Sennheiser HD-414s have. Sigh.

I'll see how these sound next:
WalkmanHeadphones_zpsb3fa94e0.jpg

JL

Jan 20, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #14 of 14
I've had these phones for a few days. The sound quality do not sound exceptional but after a while my other on-ear phones (PX-100, Porta Pro, K420) do sound annoyingly head centered / less spacious. They are also the most comfortable among them. So, I'm glad I bought them. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back