Ultrasone HFI-15G /Creative Muvo2
Jan 26, 2005 at 12:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

zikarus

Headphoneus Supremus
As I have not found any information about this Ultrasone headphone in the forum yet I will try to sum up my first impressions on this goodie. First of all: Unlike the other Ultrasone headphones this one is truly portable. http://www.ultrasone.com/htdocs/02_p...&subcat=1&id=4

Tech specs:

S-Logic™ Natural Surround Sound
Reduced magnetic field emissions
Standard LE (=low emission)
Dynamic principle
Frequency range 20 Hz - 20.000 Hz
Impedance 32 Ohm
Sound pressure level 90 dB

Weight LE 85 g (without cord)
Cord length ca. 3 m
3,5/6,3 mm gold-plated plug

Price: 75 Euro (incl. shipping cost; ~ 100$)

I bought mine for portable use with a Creative Muvo2 MP3. It actually serves as a replacement for a Senn PMX 60 and a damaged Sony MDR G74 SL, which I had used at last (since it was way better than the Senn PMX 60, especially bass-wise).

Comfort, weight, size and fit of the HFI-15G are fine imo. It feels good on the head with just the right pressure on the ears (I could even endure a little bit of a higher pressure, but anyway - the phones don't move when spinning the head around and they might be more comfortable when being used over longer hearing sessions this way).

Built quality is good. Only the ear pads appear a little bit "loose" (being somewhat oversized).

Being a bit sceptical about the sound pressure level of 90db at first I am now happy to say, that they seem to be loud enough. At least for me. When using my Senn PMX 60 I do not go beyond 20 on my Creative Muvo. My regular loudness in public is 18 or 19 (out of 25 btw). To get the same loudness out of the Ultrasone HFI-15G I seem to have to turn it up to somewhat between 20-22, which would be ok imo (but keep in mind, that I have not yet tried out the Ultrasone in the public, namely in buses and trains etc).

Furthermore I have not burned in the HFI-15G yet! But the sound out of the box was already very good "in my ears". The difference between the Ultrasone and the Sennheiser PMX 60 is tremendously and worth each cent! The Ultrasone HFI-15G offer a lot better bass and sounds definitely less aggressive and harsh (I'd even say less artificial) in the mids and highs. At first I found the bass a little bit to boomy, but then - despite the lack of burn-in - I realized that I had used the equalizer on my Creative Muvo. When I turned off the "Rock" mode (which was necessary to get at least a little bass out of the Senn PMX 60) the Ultrasone sounded even better, more "correct". Still I have the feeling as if the bass could be better defined (maybe they really need some burn-in). I have not listened to my new Ultrasone HFI-15G for to long now, but I already like their sound signature which is natural, warm and full instead of analytical. I do not have experience with very much different kinds/brands of headphones, but I would say they are more for people who appreciate the darker Beyerdynamics sound (which I know) than let's say Etymotic afficionados (based on what I have read about them - I have never listened to any canalphones yet).

I have already compared the Ultrasone HFI-15G to my Senn HD600 driven via a Corda Headamp-2 for some minutes. Result: I found the Ultrasones not to be too far away from the Senns. The HD600 delivered more details especially in the mids and highs, but the bass on the Ultrasone was more up to my taste. Trying to remember the sound of the Senn HD25 (which I had tried twice and was tempted to buy but did not, because it cost almost twice as much as the Ultrasone) I would state, that the HD25 is much more forward and a bit tighter in the bass. But the Senn is also tending to harshness and some kind of unnatural sound. As mentioned above the Ultrasone sounds darker.

O.K. that be it for now. Give me a week or so and I might report some more after I have them burned in.

Feb 3, 2005 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 4
Well here I am once more.

Meanwhile the Ultrasone HFI 15 has gotten some heavy burn-in. The bass has tightened and I still like it´s balanced but dark sound with still enough details - for me. A good can for portable use! I am happy with it and use this headphone very often.

Three little drawbacks so far: 1. The can does not sit as firmly as I have believed earlier. You should not try to use it while exercising because the HFI 15 might slide down your head. But that is no problem for me and it truly is very comfortable when you don't move around too much. 2. The single sided cabling is quite thick and heavy. 3. Since it is not as loud as some of the other portables the lack of isolation might become a little problem when this Ultrasone is used in a train or plane AND would not be amplified in an adequate way. I could imagine that some flash players might get into trouble here. But as mentioned before: my Creative Muvo´s 2x15mW are fair nuff.

Anyway, what really is astounding me is the way, that this headphone sounds even a whole lot better when driven by my Corda Headamp-2. Sometimes (especially with Rock/Pop/Jazz) I do prefer the Ultrasone over my Senn HD 600. Did not expect that! This Ultrasone seems to have some potential...

Jul 13, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #4 of 4
Just had to bump this thread since I have purchased these headphones today.

These headphones are definitely a treat!! I was looking for a pair of headphones that weren't "in ears" to use with my portable headphone practice amp for my bass guitar and, also for my iPod when I want a break from my iems. I like the sound of my UE Superfi 5's but it was a drag to have to pull them in and out during practicing. I was walking around Sam Ash today looking at the demo headphones and the first thing that struck me about these headphones was how comfortable they are. The pads are super comfy and soft and they are incredibly light. You actually forget you have them on if you disregard the pads against your ears! I also liked the fact that they reduced radiation to the brain. Also, the one cord design was convenient as far as keeping it out of the way. So I picked them out and hurried home.

THE SOUND: Very, very nice!!! These babies cost me $90 and they sound about as nice as my $200+ Ultimate Ears Superfis. If you like warmth, you got it with these babies. They are as buttery smooth as my Superfis but they seem to have more detail which is definitely a good thing. If these things were good at isolating outside noise I would use them all the time, they sound that good. The thing with these is that they need more volume than my Superfis so if you plan on using them with an ipod I would keep that in mind. You will definitely use up your battery faster. I bet they would benefit a lot from amplification in that case. The cd player that comes with my bass practice amp has amplification so these phones really sound sweet with it. I will now carry this gadget around just to hear my cds with my Ultrasones.

Bottom line is that these headphones are definitely worth a listen for those looking for inexpensive budget headphones that still sound nice.

280smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back